Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2019-2020 Roxa R3 130 T.I. Availability?

Are any shops stocking the 19-20 Roxa yet?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

gasp

no flexons?

hope there's not a WTB: New Toque thread next.

I concede I'm a Finnish Luddite when it comes to change; mine is glacial, measured in light years, as slow as my fat old ass on skintracks.

But with touring season emerging and the admission that the maestrales I've had for a few years just don't fit, resulting in astronomical agony after an hour or so, it's time to sweep back the flexon scapular and attempt to try on something more moderne.

Full Tilt Ascendant or Dabello Lupos an option? Those are easier to find 3 piecers with tech fittings.

Ascendant is not made from the same shell as a flexon and is heavier than the Roxa R3 130 T.
    Lupos are another option, but EVO carries last years Roxa, not sure if they have this years.

i saw the new roxa at a place called Gallatin Mountain Sports in Big Sky - the one they had on the wall was with the wrap liner, the new colorway is a brighter yellow

CallMeAl is the PNW rep (along with ON3P) you might send him a PM

These look like an awesome boot. FWIW, I ski flexons in bounds still and have been generally happy with the flex pattern of my dynafit tlt7's for backcountry. It might be an alternative if you can't find these.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    CallMeAl is the PNW rep (along with ON3P) you might send him a PM
    awesome! thanks!

I have this years in stock

I have some xface 120s in a 318 bsl if that's your flexon size I'd let go pretty cheap. Liner are basically new, 30-40 days on the shells.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Buster-

Shops will have the 19-20 R3 on the wall in the PNW Sept 1. There are a few pairs of future demos kicking around for employees to try out, but that's it.

For next year, the R3 130's fit is exactly the same as 18/19, but it has a few updated components. The boot will still be offered with an Intuition Tongue or Wrap liner (these are liners that we buy directly from Intuition, unlike some other Intuition- branded liners), as well as Gripwalk or alpine soles.

Changes: For 19/20, R3 130 gets a Dynamic Response Insert (marketing jargon for a Grilamid horseshoe we inserted into the rear of the throat of the lower that made this boot considerably stiffer and made its rebounding abilities second to none- IE- I used to ski it in "Hard", which basically locked/locks the flex out, but now I ski it in "Soft"), and a new top buckle that gives more relief/reduces fiddling for quicker ski/hike transitions.

Also, we now market the entire R3 line as being 100% moldable, including the shells. Several of us have been cooking this boot for years due to its ultra-thin walls and premium materials (high grade Grilamid in R3s case, and PU+ in others), but now we have actually have cooking parameters for dealers so they can too.

Anyway, that's the skinny there, I'm always happy to answer any Roxa questions.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    Buster-

Shops will have the 19-20 R3 on the wall in the PNW Sept 1. There are a few pairs of future demos kicking around for employees to try out, but that's it.

For next year, the R3 130's fit is exactly the same as 18/19, but it has a few updated components. The boot will still be offered with an Intuition Tongue or Wrap liner (these are liners that we buy directly from Intuition, unlike some other Intuition- branded liners), as well as Gripwalk or alpine soles.

Changes: For 19/20, R3 130 gets a Dynamic Response Insert (marketing jargon for a Grilamid horseshoe we inserted into the rear of the throat of the lower that made this boot considerably stiffer and made its rebounding abilities second to none- IE- I used to ski it in "Hard", which basically locked/locks the flex out, but now I ski it in "Soft"), and a new top buckle that gives more relief/reduces fiddling for quicker ski/hike transitions.

Also, we now market the entire R3 line as being 100% moldable, including the shells. Several of us have been cooking this boot for years due to its ultra-thin walls and premium materials (high grade Grilamid in R3s case, and PU+ in others), but now we have actually have cooking parameters for dealers so they can too.

No questions but just gotta add..I love my rc130s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    Buster-

This boots specs ticks a lot of design boxes important to me in terms of weight, simplicity and stiffness. I would like to see the DRI mod in person to see how it changes the flex. I might even be happier without the DRI mod.

Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by myles long View Post
    No questions but just gotta add..I love my rc130s.

You mean r3 130s?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2075.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	277351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2076.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	858.1 KB 
ID:	277352

First pic is the 19/20 model with the DRI (black thing) installed, on "Soft". Second is 18/19 model, sans DRI, on "Hard". The DRI really accomplishes the same thing as the Hard/Soft adjustment (white thing), which is limit the closure of that rear throat on the lower shell, but in a much more dynamic way, because it contracts when you load the boot, and expands when you unload the boot. Seems minuscule, but I shit-you-not it is a night and day difference on "Soft" mode. "Hard" is the same as it ever was.

Also, in the first pic you can see the new top buckle that I mentioned earlier. That little slot gives you some extra ROM without fiddling with the velcro, which the first gen lacked.
    Last edited by CallMeAl; 04-05-2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    This boots specs ticks a lot of design boxes important to me in terms of weight, simplicity and stiffness. I would like to see the DRI mod in person to see how it changes the flex. I might even be happier without the DRI mod.

Thanks for the info.

You mean r3 130s?
    Yes meant r3 130

My shop will have em in September. Personally i wasnt a fan of the flex. Felt like i was hitting a hard wall. Much prefer my lupo 130s

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

Great info Al. I still work my 17-18 hard and still love it, but stoked to see next year's. Will check it out at Ptex's place in the fall.

want to try this on..

Any NZ dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    My shop will have em in September. Personally i wasnt a fan of the flex. Felt like i was hitting a hard wall. Much prefer my lupo 130s

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app
    That will happen if you ski them on "hard". Some people like being locked upright like that, but I'm not one of those people either. I skied Lupos for years too, it's a great boot. I now ski the 19/20 R3 130 every day on "soft" and find it comparable flex-wise to the old B tongue, just lighter, and with an Intuition liner like the OG Lupo had. With the DRI, the new R3 won't achieve a C tongue flex (softer), but we figure that's what our 110 model does.

Not ironically, I actually met the now-VP of Roxa NA when I was testing the first gen Lupo for Powder Mag, when he worked at Dalbello, and we reconnected when I tested the R3 however many years later.

Al, curious if you have any color on the RS3 130 and Element 120, (maybe i should post this in another forum) curious if people like the 4 buckle cabrio design and if a wrap liner will be available in that model? haven't seen much in the way of reviews of these boots, Dalbello's cabrio boot have gotten crummy and their liners suck, so i would think a lot of opportunity for Roxa to take share

Negative, we only do one color way in the R3S and Element 120s. Next year the R3S is neon lower/black upper. Element 120 is another sublimated design.

The R3S 130 is a beast, which is why we use the proprietary tongue liner we use in it. It is the stiffest cabrio boot I've ever put my foot in, and it's just too stiff for anyone with the wrap in it. There's talk about *maybe* doing an Intuition tongue liner in 19/20, but I honestly doubt it at this point.

I had one 6'2", FWQ competitor who didn't believe me buy himself and Intuition Wrap for his. He called me immediately to say that he literally couldn't get the boot to flex with that liner in it.

And you're right, this should be in tech talk.

I've got a pair of this years r3 130 in a 28 that I will basically give away, skied about 4 days. Shittiest boot I've ever skinned in (feels like going up with an alpine boot fully buckled) and a shitty marker sole to boot! Skis ok, but man I hope you don't have far to go or you'll not be stoked

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    I've got a pair of this years r3 130 in a 28 that I will basically give away, skied about 4 days. Shittiest boot I've ever skinned in (feels like going up with an alpine boot fully buckled) and a shitty marker sole to boot! Skis ok, but man I hope you don't have far to go or you'll not be stoked
    Did you leave it...fully buckled? If so, that would make it tour like a boot that is fully buckled.

If you loosen it up a bit, you'll get plenty of rearward ROM. For longer tours it's nice to secure the buckles between the tongue and over the liner to get the best ROM. The boot does lack the forward ROM of some overlap-style boots in the same class, but I notice that more on long bootpacks than I do a skin track.

Sure, I'm biased, but not biased enough to actually tour in something that works like you described, and I tour quite a bit in the R3. It's worth noting that the R3 line is marketed/classified as an alpine boot with touring capabilities, not vice-versa.

I'm not sure what a "marker sole" is. R3 is available with Gripwalk or alpine soles, both separate from the tech fittings that are integrated into the boot's lower (Roxa owns that patent).