msr snowshoes: lightning ascent vs evo ascent

I am looking at these two models. I read that the Lightning are the top of the game, but I wonder if the material cannot be torn by some rock or other sharp object hidden. While the Evo Ascent seem to be more solid.

Anyone tried both? thanks

Given that tarp decking is common across many snowshoe designs across different bands, I don't think durability is a major issue. Could plastic decking be more durable? Sure. But I don't believe tarp decking is considered to be deficient.

Regardless, if you're considering the MSR lineup and are concerned about the tarp decking of their Lightning line, don't forget about their Revo line. It's the concurrent-generation stablemate of the Lightning and shares most features, most notably the same pushed-to-the-edges rails/cleats, and the same binding options. But instead of the tarp deck of the Lightning, the Revo has a plastic deck (like the Evo). It should also be noted that the Evo line is from a prior-generation and is an evolution of MSR's first snowshoes, the Denali.

The real difference between the Lightning and Revo/Evo is:

1) Sizing - the Lightning line is available in 22", 25", and 30" sizes. The Revo line is available in 22" and 25" sizes. The Evo line is only available in 22" (and maybe 19" if you consider the "Shift" youth model, with which the Evo shares many traits). This alone can determine if choices are eliminated.

2) Feel - the aluminum frame of the Lightning is its principle structural element, and is rigid. OTOH, the plastic decking of the Revo/Evo shares structural duties with the steel frame/rails (respectively), and is more flexible/compliant to the terrain. This is mostly a matter of preference.

3) Noise - the plastic decking of the Revo/Evo makes it noisier over hard snow.

4) Traction - all these snowshoes have a binding crampon. But the plastic decking of the Revo/Evo allows traction fins to be molded into them, while tarp decking obviously does not. OTOH, the Lightning is equipped with two frame (metal) crossbar cleats, while the Revo has only one (metal) crossbar cleat. The Evo has no metal crossbars.
    Last edited by DtEW; 04-01-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Been using lightning ascents for 10 years. Very durable. Because snowshoeing is boring as fuck don’t do it much anymore except for walking the dog or camping.

The flexibility of the whatever fabric actually helps get better purchase in the snow and ice with the teeth around the edges.

If you step on an ice chunk the fabric absorbs it a bit whereas a hard plastic the shoe would wobble to one side to get grip.

That’s my 2cents

thanks a lot.
    As I was about to pull the trigger on the Lightning Ascent, i discovered MSR is coming out with a new binding system. At first sight it doesn't look like a snowboard boot will fit

http://www.thegearcaster.com/2019/01...e-binding.html

https://themtblab.com/2019/02/outdoo...-2019-msr.html

Meet the world’s first single-strap mesh snowshoe binding. The Paragon binding will grace MSR’s Lightning Ascent and Revo Ascent snowshoes with an aim to provide a glove-like fit. In all, MSR believes the Paragon will add more security, comfort, and simplicity — great for anyone who’s tried lacing up traditional snowshoes for the first time.

not a snowshoer but I noticed in a big group of snowshoers ( I was on skis ) the narrower MSR fit & worked better in what was an existing ski skin track, which probably wouldn't matter if you are busting your own trail
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know