Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Travel Ski - solid, but somewhat tourable?

Some advice, please.

I'm looking for the elusive quiver of one travel ski. In Valle d"Aosta at the moment with Ms Island Bay, and we both brought two pairs. Monster 98s/Praxis MVP, and Volkl Kenja/Solly QST106. Would be great to whittle it down to a pair each.

I've spent a lot of time on my Monsters and LPs, and have become somewhat spoilt. Love the damp, smash through anything feel, and I like big turns and going fast. Thankfully, I'm not looking for a superlight touring ski - something around 2000gr with a CAST setup would work. 2-5000ft days alternating with frontside duties.

I've made a short list of possible candidates, and would love to hear your opinions and possible reviews.

-Dynastar X106
    -Moment Commander 98
    -Fischer Ranger 99ti (2020)
    -Fischer Ranger 102fr
    -Down CD104
    -Armada Invictus 99ti
    -Head Kore 99/105

Had never thought the Head Kore would be up my alley, but read somewhere that Head have beefed them up, possibly making them contenders. Same with the Fischer Ranger 99s.

Thanks!

Much as I love it, I think you'd find the CD 104 too light for your taste. It has the same DNA as the 114,. but the 114 feels much more robust under foot. The 114 is the ski that makes me think about what an Rx would be like.

[Edit] I suspect that if Bimboes were to select a narrower ski in the Down lineup it would be the SD 105.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Travel Ski - solid, but somewhat tourable?

Lots of good skis in the space.

I just used the ‘19 black crow Corvus with shifts for this in Europe. It was perfect.

I’ve spent a little time on the Kore 117 and liked it. I’d imagine the Kore 105 is pretty great too.

The ‘20 Line Vision is getting good reviews - although it’s very light.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 03-31-2019 at 05:11 PM.

I use a Rustler 11 with shifts for this. Been very happy with the versatility of the setup.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Check out some of Moment's offerings... they've significantly lightened them up over the past year or two, even the non touring skis. Seems perfect for that sort of use / intent.

But from your list I'd say Head Kore 105 is probably a good option based on what I've heard / read.

I’m personally planning on moving shifts to my rustler 11s for this as well. If I was starting from scratch however, I’d likely go shifts on a Legend 106X.

Edit to add: There a currently tons of skis I’d be happy to use in this catagory. Some others I’d be really happy with to confuse you:
    Armad Tracer 108
    V-Werks Mantra
    Line Vision 108
    Elan Ripstick 106
    Last edited by XavierD; 03-31-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Head Kore 105. I have it as a touring ski but would love it as a travel ski with say a shift or tecton. For such a light ski they they don't seem to chatter. They rigging rip. Maybe my newest favorite ski. Like the OP, I have a history on the LP, Cochise, Bodacious heavy metal layup skis. They were the Powder ski of the year couple years ago. I see why. I have the 189cm. 6' @ 220 lbs.

V werks mantra/katana? Love mine for this purpose, right at your weight goals.

Thanks guys. Lots of good ideas and advice.

For deeper winter conditions I’d just bring my MVPs, but this is for slightly harder and shittier snow or spring conditions, hence the skinnier emphasis.

Interesting to hear that Head Kores could appeal to an LP fan.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
    V werks mantra/katana? Love mine for this purpose, right at your weight goals.
    Heard the same from the tech in our backcountry shop here in Sun Valley.

He’s down to 1 setup for everything.

Another vote for the Elan Ripstick in whichever width you prefer.
    Gravity. It's the law.

x2 for moment for this purpose. They're selling alpine skis that come in at the weights of touring skis 5 years ago. Deathwish, commander (98 and 108), meridian 107 all come in >180cm and less than 2000g. The new wildcat 108 is like 2100 in a 190

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    I use a Rustler 11 with shifts for this.
    Currently mine is a 180 Rustler 10 with Kingpins, next season it will be a 180 Rustler 11 with Shifts. Daily driver is a 188 Rustler 11.

I demo’ed the Kore 99 a few days ago and though it was great, stable for the weight, well balanced.

I run a Rustler11/Shift + Mantra VW/Vipecs (might be changed to Tectons) double punch for this use. Low tide/long day out -> mantras, rest of the time -> R11s.

I have yet to try the Mantras, but the R11s have impressed me being fairly light weight, versatile and still being able to charge on. For what you can get them for at this time of year R11a are an amazing deal imo. In fact, the R11s have me so impressed that I am thinking about getting a second pair

The Dynastar thread has some good comments on the x106.

I second the Vwerks katana, seems to be able to do everything.

QST106 also sounds like a contender (new one is more beefed up), as does the new corvus.

Katana is a bit wide for a travel ski though especially in Europe. I’d say around 104 / 108 is better. Yeah, new Corvus looks good. The Volkl 100Eight is good also, I had those for 1.5 season.

Moment Wildcat 108

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    Katana is a bit wide for a travel ski though especially in Europe. I’d say around 104 / 108 is better. Yeah, new Corvus looks good. The Volkl 100Eight is good also, I had those for 1.5 season.
    Have a look at the BC Daemon as well, rev side cut like the Corvus but 99mm and in a 183 or 188 (I have the 188 as my do all resort skis for Europe).
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Moment Commandera are exceptionally light for how much power they have. Extremely versatile over a wide range of conditions

Found a pair of Fischer Ranger 102fr at a bargain. They look and feel really good, and I'll whack some Pivot 18s on them for the NZ winter.

If I like them enough, they'll get the Cast treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Lots of good skis in the space.

I just used the ‘19 black crow Corvus with shifts for this in Europe. It was perfect.

I’ve spent a little time on the Kore 117 and liked it. I’d imagine the Kore 105 is pretty great too.

The ‘20 Line Vision is getting good reviews - although it’s very light.
    Second the 2019 Corvus

Can a more AT binding like the Salomon MTN or ATK Raider drive any of these skis? Definitely the Corvus, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Can a more AT binding like the Salomon MTN or ATK Raider drive any of these skis? Definitely the Corvus, right?
    The mtn can drive any ski, it's bomber.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk