Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The genre seems ripe for some satire. Who's going to step up to the plate?
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Vanlandia?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Only thing lamer than these guys trying to scrape by doing something they enjoy are the weak ass locations that they ride at!! Amirite?!?!
    Point
    And I would whore myself out if it made me money or got me free stuff, no doubt about it.

Ex. Over the summer I took a picture of my family wearing funky socks and tagged Stance. Another sock company messaged me and asked if I would be interested in getting their product at a discount, wearing it and promoting it. I was all over it until they told me 15% off retail. I’m nobody’s bitch for less than 1/2 retail!

Counterpoint
    They should still, absolutely, be ridiculed by hardcore cube rats for not being core enough/funny enough/lame ass sellouts.

If someone wants to gopro their mediocre rides for their own personal watching pleasure, then sure, whatever floats their boat.

If someone wants to gopro their mediocre rides and can make money on YouTube doing that, then congratulations to them.

But if some random stranger wants to spend time watching either of the aforementioned mediocre rides, they're weird and should find a better use for their time.

If you don't film your ride, did it even happen?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If someone wants to gopro their mediocre rides for their own personal watching pleasure, then sure, whatever floats their boat.

If someone wants to gopro their mediocre rides and can make money on YouTube doing that, then congratulations to them.

But if some random stranger wants to spend time watching either of the aforementioned mediocre rides, they're weird and should find a better use for their time.
    What does that say about those posting on the internet bitching about people doing the above?

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    What does that say about those posting on the internet bitching about people doing the above?
    Complaining about pointless things is a national pastime. So I suppose if someone was watching mediocre helmet cam footage for the sole purpose of complaining about it, then maybe that's ok.

There are these two guys that arent very good that have videos of themselves riding northshore and lots of the trails in this area.

I specifically look for them when I'm deciding if a trail is one I want to ride because more average skill level makes it easier to see what the trail is really like.

It's also fun to watch JKW ride our local trails.

The daily mountain biker is kinda weird but he knows my name and I see him around.

The Great YouTube Circle Jerk

'Syd and Mackey' popped up on my YouTube feed recently. Sponsored mid pack amateur enduro racers. Good for them and all that but are bike companies really that desperate to find real elite level athletes to sponsor?

It's more about social media and image than winning races now...

I know plenty of sponsored people that dont even race at all.

The Great YouTube Circle Jerk

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    'Syd and Mackey' popped up on my YouTube feed recently. Sponsored mid pack amateur enduro racers. Good for them and all that but are bike companies really that desperate to find real elite level athletes to sponsor?
    Sponsored mid-pack PRO enduro racers. Big difference there. Not that they’re famous and I don’t watch their show but they’re nice folks and, make no mistake about it, fast. Also, not to bag on them at all but look at their sponsors. They’re all second tier and can’t afford higher profile athletes and DO need the exposure. Jamis, X-Fusion, Vittoria, etc.

Syd and Macky are a far cry from the average POV hack in that they have skills and put in the time and effort stay at least somewhat competitive in a packed Pro field. They’re making a living at actually being athletes, not just youtube hacks.

Also, pretty sure they’ve got <$10k into their Van. They’re doing it right IMO.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Sponsored mid-pack PRO enduro racers. Big difference there. Not that they’re famous and I don’t watch their show but they’re nice folks and, make no mistake about it, fast. Also, not to bag on them at all but look at their sponsors. They’re all second tier and can’t afford higher profile athletes and DO need the exposure. Jamis, X-Fusion, Vittoria, etc.

Syd and Macky are a far cry from the average POV hack in that they have skills and put in the time and effort stay at least somewhat competitive in a packed Pro field. They’re making a living at actually being athletes, not just youtube hacks.

Also, pretty sure they’ve got <$10k into their Van. They’re doing it right IMO.
    I agree with this. I’ve seen them at a number of races.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    They’re making a living at actually being athletes.
    Making an actual living? Or just random free gear and some entry fees?

Probably not making a living until the YT money and sponsorships started to come in.

The only videos of that nature I watch are Seth's... because it's not just a bunch of boring POV shit, he's actually become a very talented post production editor, and he has a good sense of humor and his personality comes across. He's just stoked on riding and genuinely humble, and it's also been fun to see him progress over the years.

Other than that, it better be someone like Semenuk ripping some trail with style, otherwise I can't make it more than 30 seconds.

Exception: previewing a trail I've never been to just to get an idea of what to expect. Even then I'll just click around for 20 second bursts.

Klauss - on the skiing side, I've watched several of your ski videos and you're selling yourself short. Of course, the key there is to not hold a POV shot for very long before cutting to the next view.

Ski POV >>>>>> MTB POV by a wide margin, generally speaking.

Oh, also my car is in a Jordan boostmaster video.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Oh, also my car is in a Jordan boostmaster video.
    You're pretty much an influencer now. The free shit should start arriving any moment.

Team robot comeback?

They do freelance jobs as well. Mackey does ad work for some of his sponsors.

Anyway back to circle jerk Joe rider YouTube videos that are too long, too much talking, and appealing only to your average mtn bike consumer.

Mackey is no hack. He can't come close to winning an EWS stop but he's still gonna be better than 99% of riders easily.

I tried watching some BC POV before we headed up there on a trip last fall. Midway through the first video, I realized my time would be better spend cleaning each individual link of my chain with a Q-Tip. So I did that instead. It was nice. Then I bought a new chain because that one was too old and stretched out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You're pretty much an influencer now. The free shit should start arriving any moment.
    I'm getting free shit this weekend. If you shop for womens mountain biking apparel you might see me in a few months.
    Last edited by mtngirl79; 04-16-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Circle jerk on this. https://youtu.be/bdx4LNy7ybA

Circle jerk on this. https://youtu.be/bdx4LNy7ybA
    Primo conditions right now. He made the chute(crux)look unremarkable. Pinned

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

No doubt. World class talent. This dude is worthy of sponsors and a YouTube channel. Mid-pack hacks living in a van...not so much.