Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Great YouTube Circle Jerk

So I recently ended up on a few of the YouTube MTB channels including Paul the Punter, the Dad (he's the only one who rides ok), Outdoor Gold, and a few others (whatever they're all actually called), seemingly travelling/riding/filming together over the winter and the desert US. The first one I watched started innocently enough where they were riding the entrance into Horsethief (Fruita) and coaching/helping/cheering each other on, ok I get it. But then I began to skip through a bunch of their different videos and they just seem to be regurgitating the same content on each of their own channels (with the others present) from stop to stop.

Who's into watching this stuff, is this quality content for some? Give me more Nate Hills (ok, that gets old too), but at least he seems to have captured a niche of quality riding and video giving me a much broader spectrum of locations (around the world).

YumYum's bike reviews aren't bad, at least he seems to be developing a niche but what about ALL THE OTHER SHIT REVIEWERS?

The last vid I watched was of the group (4 of them) in Sedona at the entrance to a trail. Random rider on his Pivot Firebird comes along and catches his crank/stays on some ugly rocks, seemingly cutting the corner to avoid the gaggle of Youtube stars circle jerking each other at the top. Are these people developing a reputation in the area of cunting up the trails for content

Am I just jealous of #vanlife?

That's it, I'm starting my own channel, #underwearlife!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then do yourself a favour and don't go down that YouTube rabbit hole.

Discuss!
    Last edited by robnow; 03-30-2019 at 06:36 PM.

I keep adding a few. Some I continue to watch, others only occasionally. Mctrail rider has been good. He's travelling and been in Spain for a while. Sweet looking trails. Decent rider.
    I watch jordan boostmaster occasionally. Kid will hit most anything.
    Sam pilgrim is a great watch. Always a laugh and such a good rider #tothesky
    Jeff kendal weed for the tech hippiyty hoppity
    The loam ranger isnf the gnarliest rider but his production is probably the best

I need to unsubscribe a few and add a few more

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Jeff kendal weed for the tech hippiyty hoppity
    TGR Forums mobile app
    I can't stand his voice and over-excitement but he does have a quality story to tell.

Somehow I must have ended up in algorithm hell by starting with one of these UT/CO guys and now repeatedly being suggested their whole crew.

Did you at least get to to eat the saltine cracker?
    . . .

Maybe I’m missing the point of this /rant, but the only mountain biking videos I want to watch are : GMBN, a handful of bike repair stuff, and professionally made stuff from the bike companies or production cos. Watching home made hacks? Amateurs? Want to be pros? Sounds awful.

Edit: and too much fckn gopro, GoPro (except ina few limited situations) in both skiing and biking is a scourge on good filmaking IMO. No one wants to watch your shitty POV hack ass, too hard to appreciate anything about the trails other than shake shake shake shake. Man I’m a salty fuck hack shit rider and skier but at least I don’t make others suffer with my crap videos. Man I need to be less bitter.

I have no idea why people want to watch mediocre riders gape their way down a trail.

It's not like there's any shortage of decent quality short form bike content on the internet these days.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I have no idea why people want to watch mediocre riders gape their way down a trail.

It's not like there's any shortage of decent quality short form bike content on the internet these days.
    This. /thread.

A friend of mine has a youtube channel, he posts 'stories' of rides like everyone else. When we ride together it's awkward. I'm above average, yet well, WELL, well, below pro-level. Not even close. I've been in two of his videos and there is no way I'm posting them here, ha. My best moment though in one was picking up a rattler (with a stick) not knowing it was a rattler, until I picked it up. The one that shows me riding....humbling but there it is for everyone to see. Dan's 8 year old or whatever his age is would be MUCH more entertaining.

Anyways, I apologize to anyone that's seen them. My friend is a pretty good rider, in his defense, but.....we be old. Delusions of grandeur.

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Maybe I’m missing the point of this /rant, but the only mountain biking videos I want to watch are : GMBN, a handful of bike repair stuff, and professionally made stuff from the bike companies or production cos.
    Man I need to be less bitter.
    I suppose I find it interesting/fascinating/shocked how many of these people (average Joe rider) are making a go out of having a YouTube channel with mediocre content. In particular you have this group:
    Singletrack Sampler
    Paul the Punter
    RC's Outdoor Gold
    The Crashing Dad
    Trail Features
    BC POV
    I assume they all started with their own content not knowing each other and then seemingly over this winter decide "Hey, you have a successful channel so lets go #vanlifing and create content riding the desert/any trails we can together". In essence, you could have each of them with an episode from the same group ride. (I exaggerate of course)

I just figured with the amount of people here from UT and SW US, and these riders (or others like them) seemingly gaining traction, there could be more run ins and an opinion forming.

Lame topic for sure but just an interesting look at the social media trend (although not much of a trend as it keeps growing, especially video content like YouTube). Also, I haven't really noticed anywhere near as much 'hack' content coming from skiing or surfing.

***And don't bother looking up the above mentioned names!

Somehow I can put up with Seth's Bike Hacks, but I cannot do much of anything else besides the occasional Nate Hills video. And I waste a lot of time on YouTube and like mountain biking.

I watch some of them but usually only when it's a location that interests me or I want to see if they actually try to ride a hard section on a trail I know. Usually that part is a disappointment as is the mediocre riding in general. But what annoys me most is they non stop commentary. Shut the fuck up and just ride!

BC POV has been kinda cool to preview some trails north of the border that I’ve wanted to ride. Even some secret ones, sure the locals don’t like that. He’s a decent enough rider, certainly not amazing. Kendall-Weed is a pretty amazing rider but I can’t listen to him talk at all. A little background is fine but then just shut up and ride. Still check out Nate Hills’ stuff, mostly quality locations, trails, and riding. Don’t know why anyone watches the Singletrack Sampler. Dude’s a hack on a bike and also annoying as fuck.

Haven’t caught the rest on the list and prolly won’t.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I like BCPov for previewing trails/networks in BC and also his BC enduro series/BC Bike Race videos are pretty cool. Pretty much all riding no fluff and he's pretty skilled compared to a lot of the other YouTube guys.

Agree that seeing 50 different Sedona videos of the same dudes gets old and I have no interest in that. If they are somehow making a living through ad revenue/sponsorship then more power to em I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Dan's 8 year old or whatever his age is would be MUCH more entertaining.
    Monetize my kid? Why I would never...I mean, ethically...

*starts Googling how many views/video/year would be required to quit job*

posted on a forum taken over by mediocre skiers gaping their way up to mountains every weekend on crowded highways so they can argue which mountain town has the best 'authentic' mexican food..............

god bless sprockets
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

The Great YouTube Circle Jerk

I'll give my two cents, coming from someone who partners with a couple of these guys (Singletrack Sampler and BKXC) and has had plenty of conversations with the subscribers who watch their videos. There are two aspects to their videos that make them *mostly* more popular than guys like JKW or Nate Hills: relatability and personality.

First off, because both Brian and Alex aren't world-class riders (but they're both pretty damn good), most viewers can relate to their videos. They see these guys struggle on certain features, they crash, they breathe hard on climbs... that hits home with a lot of viewers because most of them aren't enduro racers or XC machines. The "average" rider out there could see going for a ride with either of them and keeping up for the most part. Not so with guys like Nate.

Secondly, both Brian and Alex narrate their videos and let their personalities come through. Love 'em or hate 'em, you get a sense of who they are and why they're doing it. Same with Seth- although I don't know him well- he's a normal guy who just loves spreading the MTB stoke and it comes through in spades. It kind of ties back into the first point, that because of their personality, lots of people out there want to meet up and ride with these guys. I can personally vouch for that, it's amazing how many fans approach them on the trail.

Just a few thoughts on my personal experience with two of the more popular guys out there, take it for what it's worth. As for the others, I'm not really sure how many will "make it", or what their end-goal is... but I guess good for them for trying. It's obviously not easy to make a full-time job out of riding your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    posted on a forum taken over by mediocre skiers gaping their way up to mountains every weekend on crowded highways so they can argue which mountain town has the best 'authentic' mexican food..............

god bless sprockets
    This might be the single best post ever. Congratulations
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

there is very little unique, quality content on youtube.

These collaborative videos span all types of content on that platform. Every content creator is just trying to leach of each other, in hopes to get enough followers so they can get paid.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

so i don’t forget, will edit later

god bless sprockets
    Ha!

For the record, the Mexican food in whitefish is fucking terrible.

We stomp that shit down here.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

That was not a preamble to start doing exactly what I was criticizing.

Come on guys, we're better than that in here!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Come on guys, we're better than that in here!
    Well, we're certainly better than the Mexican food in whitefish.

The beauty is, robnow, you rip and are actually good and your feedback is important. These guys have a youtube following and probably post all over pinkbike etc with bike and gear reviews that people who don't know any better take as gospel.
    Santa Cruz had some "team" video stars in Fernie last summer doing the whole stop on the blind side of a sketchy hairpin for selfies on one of the busiest trails in the valley. Left a bitter taste in a lot of peoples mouths after a few near misses.

I stopped saying "check out this items review online" a long time ago because I tracked down the guys video of him skiing and he was terrible yet his reviews were the reference being talked about in the shops.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca