Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 99
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Vernon BC
    Posts
    1,644
    The industry is ripe with whores.

    There used to be a time when you got sponsored because you were good and persistent. Now, you just need lots of likes and a robust social media presence.

    So as a result, this sub sect of marginally skilled sluts whore themselves out for cheap gear, but rather than feeling ashamed and devalued, their social media likes create a feedback loop. And we just get more marginally skilled sluts vying likes. Sometimes the sluts team up for a gang bang (aka co-lab), and we get the same marginal quality content, but with more opportunities to "Like" and "Share".

    #Vanlife
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,398
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post

    There used to be a time when you got sponsored because you were good and persistent. Now, you just need lots of likes and a robust social media presence.
    Because sponsorships are just marketing. And plenty of companies realized that throwing money at a fast guy doesn't gain them much, especially when every other company has a fast guy too.

    So the companies look for other ways to spend their marketing dollars. And if they can get some guy to spew about how great the thing is to a relatively broad audience for the price of giving him a good deal on a bike, then that starts to look pretty smart. I can't really blame them for that. And I'm not sure why the random guy spewing is any less trustworthy than the sponsored guy on the payroll.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    11,263
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    posted on a forum taken over by mediocre skiers gaping their way up to mountains every weekend on crowded highways so they can argue which mountain town has the best 'authentic' mexican food..............
    Of course this is not unique to TGR ( not that you said it is).

    PB, Vital, MTBR, blackmamba.com are populated by thoroughly mediocre desk jockeys who keyboard fap their way into thinking that they are way more rad than [name of random #influencer] and view gear as a proxy for their dad-bods and mad xls-macro skills yo.

    And that RobN is why Youtubers speak so well to this incredibly fertile market of people who are literally begging to consume, who are so happy to live vicariously through others and who are the sickest riders in Flatbuttistan, at least in their mind.

    As Smokan says the youtubers are better skilled than average, have more time on skis/bike than Joe cube monkey ) a low bar to beat) and can mass market appeal.

    If they can make a go of it more power to them. Analytics show the field is overcrowded but who dares underestimate the power of fanboyism

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,531
    As a mountain bike jong and total hack, I will admit I have watched BCPOV, Jordan Boostmaster and Sethís bike hacks. I feel like Iíve learned stuff about riding watching those guys.

    I guess Iím their target market, office bound spreadsheet surfer DINK with more money than skill.

    That said I think a lot of the YouTube stars suck and are boring as hell. Jeff Kendall-Weed seems like he has one of those ďIím so humbleĒ egos. I want to punch that huge dumb smirk right off his face.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virgina (It's humid here)
    Posts
    4,411
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Because sponsorships are just marketing. And plenty of companies realized that throwing money at a fast guy doesn't gain them much, especially when every other company has a fast guy too.
    Think about the Syndicate episodes when it was Ratboy, Peety and Minnaar. Sure, they were the fastest guys in the world, but it was fun to watch their antics and that's what separated them from other team videos. Now look at the Syndicate. Luca Shaw is like a 14 year old high school kid giving his first speech class presentation. Doesn't matter how fast he is, watching him does not get me excited about mountain biking. Or anything for that matter.

    It's only logical that someone realized Ratboy could be more profitable as a non racer than 90% his peers that are still racing.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central VT
    Posts
    3,987
    In the days of the internet, relentless social media and connectivity nearly every person is going to claim that they are somebody in the mountain bike world.

    These social media bike/ski/whatever influencers (I hate that term) are everywhere because its easy to gain access and even get support from companies. I post bike and ski pics on Instagram and I've gotten random messages from "lifestyle" companies asking me to tag their products or they want to "see me using their gear." Really? How shitty and desperate is your start up gear company if you're approaching random people on Instagram to rep your product who you know nothing about other than their social media account?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virgina (It's humid here)
    Posts
    4,411
    As far as this thread goes, I still have no idea what the title is referring to. As with most things in TGR, link or gtfo.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,375
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    As far as this thread goes, I still have no idea what the title is referring to. As with most things in TGR, link or gtfo.
    sshhhhhhhh

    Don't ruin it for yourself. Ignorance is most certainly bliss. This garbage cannot be unseen. Once you realize what every dork posse is actually doing when you see groups of 4 standing on trails, you can never go back. it's not good.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    10,345
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    posted on a forum taken over by mediocre skiers gaping their way up to mountains every weekend on crowded highways so they can argue which mountain town has the best 'authentic' mexican food..............

    god bless sprockets
    Hey, I resemble that remark...

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,662
    Damn, so salty in here. It certainly shows why we dont have popular yt channels and these youtubers do , if nothing else. I have 12 subs and use music. My salty wining, bitching and constant stream of f bombs wouldn't gain any patreon contributions, not the mention the old hack riding the bike/skis.
    I say good on them. I like watching some of the trails and the community seems to be populated by , generally, good people

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    5,836
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    In the days of the internet, relentless social media and connectivity nearly every person is going to claim that they are somebody in the mountain bike world.

    These social media bike/ski/whatever influencers (I hate that term) are everywhere because its easy to gain access and even get support from companies. I post bike and ski pics on Instagram and I've gotten random messages from "lifestyle" companies asking me to tag their products or they want to "see me using their gear." Really? How shitty and desperate is your start up gear company if you're approaching random people on Instagram to rep your product who you know nothing about other than their social media account?
    I donít watch much YT MTB other than Sethís Bike Hacks, but if you think itís easy to make a living as a YT personality then you donít know much about the industry.


    Itís incredibly demanding to post videos constantly and even just sitting through the footage of a ride and edit it together could reasonably take four or five hours. Plus you have to be actually entertaining on camera which is a skill most of us donít have.

    If you see some of the regular Joe MTB and skiing videos compared to even a moderately successful YT channelís content its night and day.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,398
    I don't have anything against the guys that are making it work. I just don't get why people want to watch that shit.

    Kinda like how I don't have anything against the Gucci Gang guy for making that terrible song. But I have no idea why people would voluntarily listen to it.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,375
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    My salty wining, bitching and constant stream of f bombs wouldn't gain any patreon contributions,

    Try me
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,662
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Try me
    $3/month. You pay now

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    3,745
    Are there any good channels on local taco joints worth visiting?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    294
    Every time I see this thread title, I read it as "The Great Circle Jerks on Youtube"

    That's all... you may all go back to talking about ridin' bikes now.
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Too far from the snow
    Posts
    450
    Random guy on the trail: ďhey, your son is pretty good, you should have a GoPro!Ē

    My son: ďWe donít have GoPros Ďcause we arenít good enough and no one wants to watch bad riding, right dad?Ē

    Me: proud head tip validation

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,375
    Quote Originally Posted by powking12 View Post
    Random guy on the trail: “hey, your son is pretty good, you should have a GoPro!”
    powking12 snatches go pro off random guy's head: "thanks!"
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,398
    Quote Originally Posted by powking12 View Post
    Random guy on the trail: “hey, your son is pretty good, you should have a GoPro!”

    My son: “We don’t have GoPros ‘cause we aren’t good enough and no one wants to watch bad riding, right dad?”

    Me: proud head tip validation
    A glimmer of hope for future generations.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central VT
    Posts
    3,987
    Quote Originally Posted by powking12 View Post
    Random guy on the trail: “hey, your son is pretty good, you should have a GoPro!”

    My son: “We don’t have GoPros ‘cause we aren’t good enough and no one wants to watch bad riding, right dad?”

    Me: proud head tip validation
    Unless you're a pro or an extremely good rider on outrageous terrain, every go pro bike (and ski) video out there is just fucking stupid. No one wants to see you drag your brakes down your shitty local trails.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    5,770
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Unless you're a pro or an extremely good rider on outrageous terrain, every go pro bike (and ski) video out there is just fucking stupid. No one wants to see you drag your brakes down your shitty local trails.
    Crash footage on the other hand...

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,410
    haven't dove into the various biking related youtube channel worm hole yet, but guilty of occasionally spraying mediocre head cam sporting videos.


  23. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    T.ride
    Posts
    1,577
    Only thing lamer than these guys trying to scrape by doing something they enjoy are the weak ass locations that they ride at!! Amirite?!?!
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central VT
    Posts
    3,987
    Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    haven't dove into the various biking related youtube channel worm hole yet, but guilty of occasionally spraying mediocre head cam sporting videos.

    Your appropriately hilarious Simpsons gif nearly makes up for your amateur go pro-ing.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by powking12 View Post
    Random guy on the trail: “hey, your son is pretty good, you should have a GoPro!”

    My son: “We don’t have GoPros ‘cause we aren’t good enough and no one wants to watch bad riding, right dad?”

    Me: proud head tip validation
    For sure this is true. Lots of younger folks with this mindset (anti social media, ditch the stupid go pros) I've noticed, while said bike videos (as well as facebook, instagram, twitter use in general) shifting predominately to blobby, van-life, mid-life crisis types.
    Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 04-10-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •