Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The industry is ripe with whores.

There used to be a time when you got sponsored because you were good and persistent. Now, you just need lots of likes and a robust social media presence.

So as a result, this sub sect of marginally skilled sluts whore themselves out for cheap gear, but rather than feeling ashamed and devalued, their social media likes create a feedback loop. And we just get more marginally skilled sluts vying likes. Sometimes the sluts team up for a gang bang (aka co-lab), and we get the same marginal quality content, but with more opportunities to "Like" and "Share".

#Vanlife
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post

There used to be a time when you got sponsored because you were good and persistent. Now, you just need lots of likes and a robust social media presence.
    Because sponsorships are just marketing. And plenty of companies realized that throwing money at a fast guy doesn't gain them much, especially when every other company has a fast guy too.

So the companies look for other ways to spend their marketing dollars. And if they can get some guy to spew about how great the thing is to a relatively broad audience for the price of giving him a good deal on a bike, then that starts to look pretty smart. I can't really blame them for that. And I'm not sure why the random guy spewing is any less trustworthy than the sponsored guy on the payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    posted on a forum taken over by mediocre skiers gaping their way up to mountains every weekend on crowded highways so they can argue which mountain town has the best 'authentic' mexican food..............
    Of course this is not unique to TGR ( not that you said it is).

PB, Vital, MTBR, blackmamba.com are populated by thoroughly mediocre desk jockeys who keyboard fap their way into thinking that they are way more rad than [name of random #influencer] and view gear as a proxy for their dad-bods and mad xls-macro skills yo.

And that RobN is why Youtubers speak so well to this incredibly fertile market of people who are literally begging to consume, who are so happy to live vicariously through others and who are the sickest riders in Flatbuttistan, at least in their mind.

As Smokan says the youtubers are better skilled than average, have more time on skis/bike than Joe cube monkey ) a low bar to beat) and can mass market appeal.

If they can make a go of it more power to them. Analytics show the field is overcrowded but who dares underestimate the power of fanboyism

As a mountain bike jong and total hack, I will admit I have watched BCPOV, Jordan Boostmaster and Seth’s bike hacks. I feel like I’ve learned stuff about riding watching those guys.

I guess I’m their target market, office bound spreadsheet surfer DINK with more money than skill.

That said I think a lot of the YouTube stars suck and are boring as hell. Jeff Kendall-Weed seems like he has one of those “I’m so humble” egos. I want to punch that huge dumb smirk right off his face.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Because sponsorships are just marketing. And plenty of companies realized that throwing money at a fast guy doesn't gain them much, especially when every other company has a fast guy too.
    Think about the Syndicate episodes when it was Ratboy, Peety and Minnaar. Sure, they were the fastest guys in the world, but it was fun to watch their antics and that's what separated them from other team videos. Now look at the Syndicate. Luca Shaw is like a 14 year old high school kid giving his first speech class presentation. Doesn't matter how fast he is, watching him does not get me excited about mountain biking. Or anything for that matter.

It's only logical that someone realized Ratboy could be more profitable as a non racer than 90% his peers that are still racing.
    However many are in a shit ton.

In the days of the internet, relentless social media and connectivity nearly every person is going to claim that they are somebody in the mountain bike world.

These social media bike/ski/whatever influencers (I hate that term) are everywhere because its easy to gain access and even get support from companies. I post bike and ski pics on Instagram and I've gotten random messages from "lifestyle" companies asking me to tag their products or they want to "see me using their gear." Really? How shitty and desperate is your start up gear company if you're approaching random people on Instagram to rep your product who you know nothing about other than their social media account?

As far as this thread goes, I still have no idea what the title is referring to. As with most things in TGR, link or gtfo.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    As far as this thread goes, I still have no idea what the title is referring to. As with most things in TGR, link or gtfo.
    sshhhhhhhh

Don't ruin it for yourself. Ignorance is most certainly bliss. This garbage cannot be unseen. Once you realize what every dork posse is actually doing when you see groups of 4 standing on trails, you can never go back. it's not good.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

posted on a forum taken over by mediocre skiers gaping their way up to mountains every weekend on crowded highways so they can argue which mountain town has the best 'authentic' mexican food..............

god bless sprockets
    Hey, I resemble that remark...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Damn, so salty in here. It certainly shows why we dont have popular yt channels and these youtubers do , if nothing else. I have 12 subs and use music. My salty wining, bitching and constant stream of f bombs wouldn't gain any patreon contributions, not the mention the old hack riding the bike/skis.
    I say good on them. I like watching some of the trails and the community seems to be populated by , generally, good people

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    In the days of the internet, relentless social media and connectivity nearly every person is going to claim that they are somebody in the mountain bike world.

These social media bike/ski/whatever influencers (I hate that term) are everywhere because its easy to gain access and even get support from companies. I post bike and ski pics on Instagram and I've gotten random messages from "lifestyle" companies asking me to tag their products or they want to "see me using their gear." Really? How shitty and desperate is your start up gear company if you're approaching random people on Instagram to rep your product who you know nothing about other than their social media account?
    I don’t watch much YT MTB other than Seth’s Bike Hacks, but if you think it’s easy to make a living as a YT personality then you don’t know much about the industry.

It’s incredibly demanding to post videos constantly and even just sitting through the footage of a ride and edit it together could reasonably take four or five hours. Plus you have to be actually entertaining on camera which is a skill most of us don’t have.

If you see some of the regular Joe MTB and skiing videos compared to even a moderately successful YT channel’s content its night and day.

I don't have anything against the guys that are making it work. I just don't get why people want to watch that shit.

Kinda like how I don't have anything against the Gucci Gang guy for making that terrible song. But I have no idea why people would voluntarily listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    My salty wining, bitching and constant stream of f bombs wouldn't gain any patreon contributions,

Try me
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Try me
    $3/month. You pay now

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Are there any good channels on local taco joints worth visiting?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Every time I see this thread title, I read it as "The Great Circle Jerks on Youtube"

That's all... you may all go back to talking about ridin' bikes now.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Random guy on the trail: “hey, your son is pretty good, you should have a GoPro!”

My son: “We don’t have GoPros ‘cause we aren’t good enough and no one wants to watch bad riding, right dad?”

Me: proud head tip validation

Quote Originally Posted by powking12 View Post
    Random guy on the trail: “hey, your son is pretty good, you should have a GoPro!”
    powking12 snatches go pro off random guy's head: "thanks!"

My son: “We don’t have GoPros ‘cause we aren’t good enough and no one wants to watch bad riding, right dad?”

A glimmer of hope for future generations.

Unless you're a pro or an extremely good rider on outrageous terrain, every go pro bike (and ski) video out there is just fucking stupid. No one wants to see you drag your brakes down your shitty local trails.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Unless you're a pro or an extremely good rider on outrageous terrain, every go pro bike (and ski) video out there is just fucking stupid. No one wants to see you drag your brakes down your shitty local trails.
    Crash footage on the other hand...

haven't dove into the various biking related youtube channel worm hole yet, but guilty of occasionally spraying mediocre head cam sporting videos.

Only thing lamer than these guys trying to scrape by doing something they enjoy are the weak ass locations that they ride at!! Amirite?!?!
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    haven't dove into the various biking related youtube channel worm hole yet, but guilty of occasionally spraying mediocre head cam sporting videos.

Your appropriately hilarious Simpsons gif nearly makes up for your amateur go pro-ing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

For sure this is true. Lots of younger folks with this mindset (anti social media, ditch the stupid go pros) I've noticed, while said bike videos (as well as facebook, instagram, twitter use in general) shifting predominately to blobby, van-life, mid-life crisis types.
    Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 04-10-2019 at 09:18 PM.