Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    so I tried a putty knife and if you work against the little glob of glue in 1/2 to 1/4 inch quick strokes you can push up a ridge of glue pretty quick

I might try the heat gun for shits and giggles later
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I need to rummage around for my putty knife. Messing around with this a bit more, I think the job will go faster wirh a heat gun.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I tried this with a heat gun and scraper, got it all off and applied gold label per my usual practice.
    It all came back off in messy chunks, I think due to unseen residue.
    I ended up tossing the skins out of lack of interest. They were splits, which also wasn't much good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Gravity always wins...

i think the heat gun might "soak" it into the skin so to speak

I'm gona thro them in the freezer and see what that does

I got a skin to sacrifice the glue removal

but I don't have any gold label

its

Yeah, there does seem to be a bit of absorption into the backing. Of course, that could be a result of the application process.

There's so much texture in the weave, that a have trouble believing the glue won't stick, but WTF do I know ...

Good idea about the freezing. At least it will provide a data point. This is beginning to look like a vintage instrument restoration.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-31-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    Galibier Design

Freezing for an hr didn't work, I will let the skin get to room temp and try some heat tomorrow

SOLVENTS?

yeah you could probably scrape a bunch of the glue off and have the skins drycleaned

I havent tried heat yet

Nice discussion so far 😉
    From the manufacturer's point of view, please do not try to remove the hybrid glue!
    If it is not tacky it is either dirty or contaminated with wax residues (or destroyed by some other kind of chemicals/solvents) Dirt and wax can easily be removed using the cleaning spray or a wax remover.
    This should restore the tack in a few minutes. The glue should always be tacky enough to lift the skin off the ground with a finger tip. Check out www.hybridskins.com for details and tutorial videos. Enjoy early winter! Werner

Quote Originally Posted by werner.koch View Post
    Nice discussion so far 
    From the manufacturer's point of view, please do not try to remove the hybrid glue!
    If it is not tacky it is either dirty or contaminated with wax residues (or destroyed by some other kind of chemicals/solvents) Dirt and wax can easily be removed using the cleaning spray or a wax remover.
    This should restore the tack in a few minutes. The glue should always be tacky enough to lift the skin off the ground with a finger tip. Check out www.hybridskins.com for details and tutorial videos. Enjoy early winter! Werner
    Hi Werner,

The skins have a great grip/glide characteristic.

Is there any way they can be "converted" to your standard glue formula? I suspect that even if it can be done, the labor at the factory makes it a losing proposition, but I thought I'd ask.

The current formulation seems as if it requires a cleaning every 8-10 days, and the failure mode (when you forget) makes for a less than ideal touring experience ;-) I'd rather not have to keep track of this. That's my main objection to the fan packs ... yet another item to have to remember to charge before going out for the day.

Assuming they can't be converted, does is citrius degreaser safe for use?

Thanks,
    Thom
    Galibier Design

so i tried a heat gun and putty knife which seems to work pretty well for getting the old glue off, its a single skin with no partner so I'm not really worried about wrecking anything, I remember now that I had used heat to get the glue off the other ( now missing ) skin so i could fix the rip in the skin with AQS & drywall patch tape, then I put some gold label on the patched area not realizing it was a glueless type skin

I also tried some generic orange cleaner and some citrus base cleaner on this skin and it made a big difference on the glue surface, it now seemed to have some tack

I DO have some iron on glue somewhere so I will have to try getting it to stick on the back of this skin with some heat BUT I have already done that when I was fixing the other skin, in fact i mixed both types of glue !!

EDIT : I gotta run now but somewhere in TGR I have an old post with picts of repairing the other skin by removing the glue with heat/ repairing with AQS/ replacing the glue with gold label

Hi Thom, if you get used to run the microfleece integrated in the stuff sac over the ski base before mounting skins, 1-2 times cleaning per season should be more than enough. If not, I reckon wax residues are the main problem. Use the contour cleaning spray, the small wipe that is now included in every pair of hybrid skins and available for cheap as an accessory or a wax remover like holmenkol wax ab. Haven't tried citrus decreased but it probably does not remove wax residues. Werner

Thanks Werner.

What surprised me was that I tend to brush and then buff the wax (lightly, with a paper towel or the equivalent). It's possible that I didn't buff one time and got more wax on it than I thought.

I'll pick up some wax remover.

If the skins had lots of miles on them, I have to confess that I'd likely start "experimenting" with them, since I'm an incurable tinkerer ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks Werner.

What surprised me was that I tend to brush and then buff the wax (lightly, with a paper towel or the equivalent). It's possible that I didn't buff one time and got more wax on it than I thought.

I'll pick up some wax remover.

If the skins had lots of miles on them, I have to confess that I'd likely start "experimenting" with them, since I'm an incurable tinkerer ;-)

... Thom
    Thanks, let me know how it works out! Would love to see our skins being the right ones for you, too. Though skins probably are the one piece of equipment where you never satisfy everyone... Werner

Thanks, let me know how it works out! Would love to see our skins being the right ones for you, too. Though skins probably are the one piece of equipment where you never satisfy everyone... Werner
    Yeah, we're a tough crowd. I'll clean them and play some more.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Hey Werner 5☆ fo stepping in to the arena! Maybe you should start a contour skins discussion Q&A thread. All magots would appreciate answers from tha source...

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    Hey Werner 5☆ fo stepping in to the arena! Maybe you should start a contour skins discussion Q&A thread. All magots would appreciate answers from tha source...
    Makes sense, and yes, I forgot to thank Werner for jumping in.

I don't want to come off as grumbly, but I'm not too thrilled about the extra maintenance step, but ripping them with skis on is really easy (maybe too easy?)

If this were a big day instead of an early season jaunt, I would have really been pissed off with a skin that was flapping about in the breeze.

Knowing what you're getting into with any product (especially a non-traditional "technology") sets the correct expectations, which is never a bad thing.

I didn't receive any details or materials with the skins (picked up in last year's Down ski group buy) other than an insert saying that skin savers are no longer necessary. I don't know who dropped the ball in this one.

Frankly, I have to say that my waxing protocol (buffing) is good, and I'll bet dollars to donuts that Warner's test crew forgets to wax most of the time.

So, I'll fork over $$$ for wax remover and report back. Maybe it was a one time thing on my part (not buffing out my wax one day last year).

I wish I knew this in advance, and that's my biggest beef.

I'll report back later in the year.

Ending this on a positive note - the skins' grip/glide characteristics are great, and I'd definitely consider the traditional glue version in the future.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-03-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    Hi Nordekette, thanks. Q&A can be found on our website here http://www.kochalpin.at/en/brands/co...ked-questions/ but a thread here could be a good idea!

...yes please report back.
    True, it is a problem that a large part of information is lost when skins are sold through the ski industry, especially when purchased online...
    That's why we decided to include the cleaning wipes with all contour hybrid skins this season.
    Still I am convinced that wiping of dirty or wet ski bases any time you mount skins and cleaning the hybrid glue once or twice a season takes less time and effirt than fiddling with cheat sheets and regluing skins every other season.
    Enjoy a great early winter, Werner

...yes please report back.
    True, it is a problem that a large part of information is lost when skins are sold through the ski industry, especially when purchased online...
    That's why we decided to include the cleaning wipes with all contour hybrid skins this season.
    Still I am convinced that wiping of dirty or wet ski bases any time you mount skins and cleaning the hybrid glue once or twice a season takes less time and effirt than fiddling with cheat sheets and regluing skins every other season.
    Enjoy a great early winter, Werner
    Hi Werner,

Including the cleaning wipes (and more importantly emphasizing their use) is a good idea. Better late than never ;-)

I picked up some citrus degreaser today (my supply ran out) and cleaned and rinsed them. They feel quite a bit more tacky now. I'm headed out for a short tour tomorrow and I'll report back (it's supposed to be quite a bit warmer than last week).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-05-2019 at 08:06 AM.
    Galibier Design

Converting a cranky customer into a happy boy ...

I got out yesterday in about 32F/0C conditions and the difference was like night and day. Some of the improved stick was no doubt due to the warmer temperature but I think most of it came from the cleaning, because the "glue" felt much more tacky immediately after cleaning them.

Note - a visual inspection won't tell you that the skins are loaded with wax. They looked much the same after cleaning them, so don't use this as an indictator.

After mentioning my experience to my buddy (with whom I was out both days), he commented that his "conventional" skins weren't sticking very well on that cold day.

So (in summary), a little user education goes a long way. I'm going to set a reminder for myself and give them a cleaning on the first of each month during the season. This may be overkill, but it only takes 10 minutes.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-06-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Galibier Design

Removing Hybrid Glue On Contour Skins

I’m sure cleaning them helped... but...

All skins have issues sticking at super cold temps we frequently get in the interior states. New Contour Hybrid skins are less sticky than new G3 and BD plain and simple. In super cold temps, you can’t be as careless with them. Naturally, in warmer temps, the Contour skins are easier to handle because the glue isn’t overly sticky.

My guess is that the ‘glue’ on the Contour skins are tuned to the warmer EU climates rather than the climates of CO, MT, WY and interior BC. A lot of EU skin manufacturers are similar in this respect (less sticky glue), so nothing unusual here.

Analogy: if you live on the east coast... don’t buy powder skis for a one ski quiver unless you want to deal with the drawbacks of them on hardpack.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 11-23-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Converting a cranky customer into a happy boy ...

I got out yesterday in about 32F/0C conditions and the difference was like night and day. .....
    ... Thom
    Nice to hear, yet nothing I did not expect 😉
    If you get used to wipe off the ski base before mounting skins, you won't need to clean the glue more than once or twice a season...
    And: on the 19/20 version we have a black backing which makes especially wax residues much better visible.

Enjoy the season,
    Werner

Werner

First piece of glue peeling off, last season warrantied skins so probably latest model. They said they are sorry and I should just continue using skins. Can't recommend buying these I should get back to BD or something that lasts even a season.

Quote Originally Posted by JanIdar View Post
    First piece of glue peeling off, last season warrantied skins so probably latest model. They said they are sorry and I should just continue using skins. Can't recommend buying these I should get back to BD or something that lasts even a season.
    Are they delaminating or what do you mean by 'peeling off'?

I had a great time on these skins last season in both really cold (-20C) and warmer weather, but I rarely wax my boards...now I'm thinking I should get some cleaner just in case.