Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Removing Hybrid Glue On Contour Skins

The skins are sweet but the glue sucks balls. I have some BD gold label goodness but I can't for the life of me get the original glue off. Anyone have any tips for this?
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

I also wondered if this ^^ was an option ?

did you try a heat gun & putty knife ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I find the glue fine.

I had a pair with delammed “glue” so I tried to do exactly what you’re talking about. I tried a heat gun and scraper for hours and got nowhere, gave up and tossed them...

Had a pair with delammed glue. Contacted them and got a new pair. I think they have changed the "glue" for this season

Yeah exactly the glue delammed. Trie the standard techniques. It might not be impossible but it's not worth it.
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

If the skins are probably from about 3 seasons ago (?) Contour has increased the tackiness of their glue each season since then. Warranty them and get a pr. from this season. The glue no longer delams, and it's much tackier than prior seasons.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    If the skins are probably from about 3 seasons ago (?) Contour has increased the tackiness of their glue each season since then. Warranty them and get a pr. from this season. The glue no longer delams, and it's much tackier than prior seasons.
    This. And this years are meant to be stored glue to glue as well.

Huh, I was going to say -- I fucking love the Contour Hybrids I got this year.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Huh, I was going to say -- I fucking love the Contour Hybrids I got this year.
    Love the glue, but I'm wondering if I'm too much of a gaper for how well they glide

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Love the glue, but I'm wondering if I'm too much of a gaper for how well they glide

... Thom
    You'll want to stay away from Colltex skins then. Noticeably better glide in their mohair mixes.

Yeah, I had the same old ones with sucky glue. Had to rent a heated scraper from a local shop, still took two hours, and ended up with goop all over the house (and all over the dog) but re-glued them with BD glue and it was so worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Yeah, I had the same old ones with sucky glue. Had to rent a heated scraper from a local shop, still took two hours, and ended up with goop all over the house (and all over the dog) but re-glued them with BD glue and it was so worth it.
    I am still trying under stand if the glue came off easily with a heated scraper OR the stripping process was somehow different/harder than a normal glue removal job cuz IME any reglue job is fucking messy/ time consuming, especially if you don't screw/nail down the skin to work on it

shops want/need to make 75$ an hr so most people just buy new skins

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    You'll want to stay away from Colltex skins then. Noticeably better glide in their mohair mixes.
    Ya know the funny thing? I was out on them again this morning and they felt fine. I must have been having a crappy day the last time out, 'coz conditions & skin track angle were similar.

Oddly, I had some Volkl branded Coltex skins (sold as mates for Volkl Nanuqs) and they felt pretty grippy. I think they were 3 year's ago issue (mohair mix).

I'm gonna stop thinking so hard about this.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom
    Have you been folding them glue to glue as mentioned above? I cut my high trail evotech (similar glue tech) skins for a shorter board and got a little too cute trying to save weight, so they now only fit the short board. They are very nice for folding glue to glue and pliable for storing. It appears High Trail is no longer so looking for a replacement. Glide on!

Yes, glue to glue is working fine for this season's skins.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

^Thanks.

Sweet , well il'l try to contact them! it's pretty impossible to remove this glue or as stated above, would take hours. So , impossible!

So I have about a dozen days on these (last years' Hybrids), and yesterday in about 0 deg. F, one of the two skins let loose when I was ripping them. It literally fell off.

I put them on at the car (dry base). The skins might have been at 50-60 deg. F, and the skis were cold (in the rooftop carrier).

I get that they make a proprietary cleaner for them, but the disturbing thing is that upon inspecting them this morning after drying, the "good" skin looks/feels no different from the "bad" skin - no visible wax residue on either one.

The worst part is that the failure mode is catastrophic rather than gradual.

Does this mean that I have yet another periodic maintenance item - degunking every 5 days? When I wax, I brush and scrape, and do a minor buff (a cursory rub with a paper towel), so we're not talking about a lot of wax here.

Assuming this will continue to piss me off, has anyone figured out how to remove the "glue"?

The skins' grip & glide is great. As I mentioned above, it took a few thousand feet of vert for the plush to lie down and them not feel too slippery.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-31-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    Galibier Design

Contour does sell traditional glue skins as well.

https://www.camp-usa.com/outdoor/pro...de-mix-135-mm/

but what do you do if the non-traditional glue fails ?

a buddy who shall remain nameless, who is VERY VERY VERY hard on gear just dropped off a whole stack of skins faction, bd, g3, one black crow (?) told me I could have em but it would sure be nice to get one working pair back

I can reheat/ reglue all the hot glue skins but that black crow which appears to be glueless ( pelis hybrid ? ) I duno ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    but what do you do if the non-traditional glue fails ?

a buddy who shall remain nameless, who is VERY VERY VERY hard on gear just dropped off a whole stack of skins faction, bd, g3, one black crow (?) told me I could have em but it would sure be nice to get one working pair back

I can reheat/ reglue all the hot glue skins but that black crow which appears to be glueless ( pelis hybrid ? ) I duno ?
    The worst part about this that I might be in purgatory with these skins, 'coz they're very nice when they stick on the ski, but that I'll be in perpetual regular maintenance mode with their "refresh" juice at $25.00 (use Goo Gone or a citrus cleaner?).

If they truly sucked, I'd take a shot at removing the "glue". There would be nothing to lose. I still might play with a small corner of the skin to see how easily removable it is. I wish I saved some of the cutaway material.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    Contour does sell traditional glue skins as well.

https://www.camp-usa.com/outdoor/pro...de-mix-135-mm/
    Thanks, but if it came to this, I'd go with Pomocas.

...Thom
    Galibier Design

OK ... I got out the heat gun and removed a bit off the tail. It will likely take a bit of work with a scraper. The amount I removed was done by rubbing the glue with my finger, balling it up into the buggers shown in the photo below.

It's do-able, but I'll likely have to budget a few hours to prep them for a glue job.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

So buddy had scratched the skin a bit which gave me an in and here I was able to rub all the glue off right to back of the skin material pretty easily with my finger, so then I tried rubbing the skin at the edge and the glue also came off pretty easy, I'm betting it would not be so hard to remove all of this glue or wtf it is and replace with gold label cuz the skin is still fine its just the fucking glue

This Black Crow kinda looks like the base skin material ??

I tried sticking this skin to a ski and I just don't see how this could ever work

Name:  blackcrow.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  61.1 KB

Yeah, after posting the above photo, I rubbed it further, and it seems as if once you get it started, it comes off fairly easily. I'll bet you'll have a blister on your thumb by the time you finish the job

Something to mindlessly do while watching TV.

... Thom
    Galibier Design