Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    Are they delaminating or what do you mean by 'peeling off'?
    Yes, delaminating. Skins were folded glue to glue and didn't even feel that stucked together. Still some glue delaminated. Otherwise great skins but this is disappointing.

Hi Jandlar,
    Sorry for that experience. Let me ask you if the newer pair already has a black back? With early versions delamination would always occur if skins are stored glued together without 'cheat sheet' in contrast to the instructions. After changing a few parameters in the lamination process, it is now possible to store them glued together without any problems. If delaminations occur in a newer version it's no longer a principal issue but a defect in the application of the hybrid glue, most probably caused by trapped air. This will not really harm the performance but is still treated as a warranty issue.
    Bubbles in the glue of course are meant to be sorted out during production but some continue to end up at retail. So please follow up on that, thanks. Werner

Quote Originally Posted by werner.koch View Post
    Hi Jandlar,
    Sorry for that experience. Let me ask you if the newer pair already has a black back?
    Yes, new pair has a black back. Checked my email and I got these skins in March 2019.

Could you send a pic of the defective spot by email to office@kochalpin.at
    Thanks, Werner

Could you send a pic of the defective spot by email to office@kochalpin.at
    Thanks, Werner
    Did that two days ago. Got an answer basically saying that it's all good and I should just clean the skins and continue using them. Did now answer to that message, hopefully it now reaches you.

Update on Hybrid Skin Care

Late to this forum but similar issue in that my atomic hybrid skins (rebranded contour) lost their stickiness (not glue delam).
    Sounds like citrus de-greaser is the answer. Anyone else had success with this method?

Quote Originally Posted by Beigner View Post
    Late to this forum but similar issue in that my atomic hybrid skins (rebranded contour) lost their stickiness (not glue delam).
    Sounds like citrus de-greaser is the answer. Anyone else had success with this method?
    Citrus worked great for me. I make a point of thoroughly rinsing it off, so you should likely do this at the end of the day (not immediately before going out), so they can dry. Even though I'm careful to apply the citrus to the glue side only, once I'm running the skin under the faucet, the business side of the skin obviously gets wet.

With this shortened season, I can't speak to how frequently you need to do this. I'm of the mind to just do it every 10 days or so. If that's far too frequent, then so be it.

I fell back in love with these skins after doing the cleaning protocol.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I went from zero tack to just right using Goo Gone with a 91% isopropyl chaser to remove citrus residue. Anyone try the reglue transfer tape rolls?
    Religion Is Poison

Hi out there!
    It seems there are a few cleaners or wax removers available that work fine to clean and reactivate the tack of hybrid skins. But as the manufacturers we cannot recommend anything but the contour cleaning spray or (even better!) the cleaning wipes that are included in every pair of hybrid skins including those we manufacture for brands like Atomic, Kästle, Hagan, Majesty and others...Available as an accessory. Always curious to learn about your experiences, Werner - contourskins

Have there been any changes/improvements to Contour's hybrid glue since this thread started last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Have there been any changes/improvements to Contour's hybrid glue since this thread started last year?
    Yes.
    - far better bond between glue and backing
    - higher initial tack
    - cleaning wipe included
    - black backing makes dirt/dust and wax residues better visible
    - micro fleece on the outside of stuff sac, easier to recognize...
    - trim zone with 3 sections of foil for smooth and clean offset trimming

Any user feedback?
    Werner

Yes.
    - far better bond between glue and backing
    - higher initial tack
    - cleaning wipe included
    - black backing makes dirt/dust and wax residues better visible
    - micro fleece on the outside of stuff sac, easier to recognize...
    - trim zone with 3 sections of foil for smooth and clean offset trimming

Any user feedback?
    Werner
    That is great to hear, since I bought a whole bunch of Contour skins for all my skis and my GF's skis last month before I found this thread. Stoked to use them soon!

Potentially helpful post here:
    https://www.haganskimountaineering.c...the-race-skins

I have a pair of the race skins:
    https://www.haganskimountaineering.c...climbing-skins
    ... which I believe are unique to Hagan (even though the hybrid skin glue is used in the skins for at least three other brands that have race skins).
    Just three moderate training outing thus far, so only ~15,000' vertical cumulative tally.
    All three outings have been in conditions that are pretty much ideal for any skin glue, low 20sF to low 30sF, on resort groomers, no fresh snow.
    (We did have eight days in a row of really backcountry touring for untracked turns, but alas that disappeared after something like 3.8" of rain, so many more testing opportunities coming up soon, alas.)
    So far though, these things are perfect. Even with quick skin reattachment, no special care, they stay on perfectly, no peeling, even on the tail. When I attached the skins at home once, drove ~50 minutes, place in my car so that one ski was base down, the skin on the top ski showed no signs of peeling away at all, even though pretty much any other brand would show some gaps.
    Obviously that's not a thorough test of the skin adhesion, but it's impressive given that complete lack of any rats-nesting potential. The way these handle is just magical. Going to be really sweet for races ... except that they're 62mm wide, which is a wee bit slow for the limited venues I have lined up this season. Might eventually try to trim them down to more like 59mm for all-around use. (I know, just 3mm, but it makes a noticeable difference on race skis. By comparison, dropping down from my usual 59mm to 55mm is very noticeable, although both good and bad there.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Anyone every have any real success removing the adhesive from these? I like the grip, glide, packability etc but I'm over having the completely fail at very inopportune times. My pair is 2-3 years old, maybe the newest version is better. But they'd be good to go with some real glue on them.. I tried the standard heat gun and scraper and it didn't work so well...

I take it you've read through this entire thread?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-23-2021 at 07:56 PM.
    Galibier Design

Yes, and no one really has an answer that seems to actually work. Just kind of bumping it to see if anyone has fresh ideas

Cleaning didn't work? I think mine are a year newer than yours, and they made some changes to the "glue", sometime during that period.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I trimmed a pair of these yesterday. Damn their cutting tool blows.

That glob is the one tube of goldlabel that didnt stick to a glueless skin,

it kind of rolled off the glueless skin into the ball, it isnt sticky anymore, it bounces, it has a lot of personality but that doesnt include sticking to a glueless skin

YMMV but IME the cleanest skin trims are done with an olfa box cutter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glue.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	924.0 KB 
ID:	359406
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Anyone every have any real success removing the adhesive from these? I like the grip, glide, packability etc but I'm over having the completely fail at very inopportune times. My pair is 2-3 years old, maybe the newest version is better. But they'd be good to go with some real glue on them.. I tried the standard heat gun and scraper and it didn't work so well...
    I was able to remove the hybrid glue, with some extensive work, by heating the scrapper rather than trying to heat the glue, and then using plenty of umph and pressure when scraping.

I had to keep the putty knife extra hot so I only did about 2-3 inches at a time

Hey Sarge, I hesitate to call it glue but what did you do after you got the Hybrid glue or wtf it is off the skin ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Hey Sarge, I hesitate to call it glue but what did you do after you got the Hybrid glue or wtf it is off the skin ?
    I just added it to "The Blob" of course this was 5-6 reglues ago it has since been covered up with more glue from other skins. At some point I need to figure out how to dispose of the blob. I got started regluing in the fall and was hesitant to just chuck it in the trash. 12-14 pairs of skins later the Blob is massive, and I'm so wary of just pitching it and having it end up in the landfill

Name:	PXL_20201227_080303664~2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	359642

Wow the blob is a thing of beauty!

yeah that looks like barbque or something

but I'm more interested in what you put on the skins for new glue cuz gold label from the tube didn't stick to the skin i was trying to re-glue

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    I just added it to "The Blob" of course this was 5-6 reglues ago it has since been covered up with more glue from other skins. At some point I need to figure out how to dispose of the blob. I got started regluing in the fall and was hesitant to just chuck it in the trash. 12-14 pairs of skins later the Blob is massive, and I'm so wary of just pitching it and having it end up in the landfill

Name:	PXL_20201227_080303664~2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	359642
    this is like the cum jar of tgr