Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New puppy refuses to pee outside.

Poop, no problem. We just take her to the same spot and wait.

Peeing is another matter. A long walk, 20 minutes in the yard, and nothing. Then we bring her in and she pees on the floor as soon as nobody is looking.

She's only 10 weeks or so and has been home from the rescue place for just 4 days, so we have time and aren't mad, but I figure the Padded Room, as the fount of all knowledge, has tips.

You just gotta not surrender man. As long as it takes her to pee is how long she needs to stay outside. There's no way around it. They usually won't pee in their own crate so if you crate her pick her up and carry her directly outside and stay there until she pees. It won't take her long to get the message either way. Probably a week, max, if you're consistent. But also if she tends to pee in a regular spot (or spots) inside hit it/them up good with Nature's Miracle and try to keep her away from there.

As cheesy as it sounds I’ve always cheered them on with ‘do it, do it’ when we go to the pee spot. Years later it still works when I just need to get the last pee of the night out to go to bed

You cheer yourself on to pee before bed?

New puppy refuses to pee outside.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    As cheesy as it sounds I’ve always cheered them on with ‘do it, do it’ when we go to the pee spot. Years later it still works when I just need to get the last pee of the night out to go to bed
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    We did this with senior dog
    He will go on command as a result
    Junior dog came to us older so we didn’t get the opportunity to embed that pattern
    If you can do it, it’s worth it

We are getting a new pup mid May. With this dog I’m going to have him leashed to me all the time and take him outside every hour. I’m tired of the piss cleanup on
    Carpet.

You just gotta not surrender man. As long as it takes her to pee is how long she needs to stay outside. There's no way around it. They usually won't pee in their own crate so if you crate her pick her up and carry her directly outside and stay there until she pees. It won't take her long to get the message either way. Probably a week, max, if you're consistent. But also if she tends to pee in a regular spot (or spots) inside hit it/them up good with Nature's Miracle and try to keep her away from there.
    Yep. Crate. Crate. Crate. If you take her out and she doesn't pee it is back inside into crate give her a while then back outside. Inside crate whenever you are not watching her directly so mistakes cannot happen without intervention. When they wake up from nap (always in crate) take her outside immediately. You feel lazy put her in crate. Every time they make a mistake without immediate feedback it is a big setback. If you avoid any mistakes this whole thing will be over before you know it and the dog can be free to roam the house sooner.

Just bring a swatch of you lawn and try to get her to pee on it.

My sister had a Pomeranian that refused to pee or poo outside. They just put a box in the laundry room lined with newspaper. It didn't work everytime but it helped. Funny when my Mom would visit the dog wouldn't dare go anywhere else but the box. My sister was clearly letting the little puff ball get away with murder.

I pee in Morse code now, not much to cheer about

Can you get sick drinkin piss?

We got a cocker puppy in the middle of a rainy winter. We had to take her out with an umbrella for a while, but that dog never pissed in the house, ever. Our cockapoo still has the occasional "accident" at age 11, but much better than she used to be. It's not an accident though--she's an extremely willful and independent dog.

Murphy knows go pee.

Hurry up means poop, but that's less reliable.

I can pretty much tell him to pee and he will, where ever, whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I pee in Morse code now, not much to cheer about
    vibes
    watch out for snakes

Lead by example.

I’m going through the same thing with Vali. We had to watch him constantly if he was loose in the house. This went on for weeks. We got him 12 weeks ago and this is the first accident free week.
    Keep vigilant. Pick puppy up and carry outside as soon as you see her squat. Limit where she can go in house

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Method given to us that worked.

Small bell from a ribbon or string to the door handle. Every time you take them outside, stop and take their paw to ring the bell. Then outside to do their business, however long that takes. Treat for success.

Didn't take a week and she started ringing the bell to go outside. Reward only for bathroom exits.

4yrs later and she gently taps the wooden blinds to get our attention to go outside.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Sounds like they gave you a cat.

We have a doggie door leading to a fenced yard. Highly recommended solution to the shyness, doesn't want to pee in front of you problem. Even our cat does her business outside, no litterbox shit to deal with.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Rez dag.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Lead by example.
    +1

Bonus points for naming the dog Wu

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Even our cat does her business outside, no litterbox shit to deal with.
    Hope your cat is doing it in your own yard. I'm about ready to trap the cat shitting in my flower beds and drop it off at the shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Hope your cat is doing it in your own yard. I'm about ready to trap the cat shitting in my flower beds and drop it off at the shelter.
    yeah. Cat shit is way more toxic than dog shit yet people let their cats out to crap in their neighbors flower beds and kids sandboxes.

I totally think people should have to keep their cats in/on their own property like people are expected to with dogs. /rant

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Man, at least I'm housebroken.

Update: She is now peeing outside except when she gets really excited and has a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Method given to us that worked.

Small bell from a ribbon or string to the door handle. Every time you take them outside, stop and take their paw to ring the bell. Then outside to do their business, however long that takes. Treat for success.

Didn't take a week and she started ringing the bell to go outside. Reward only for bathroom exits.
    Bell on a string for the win! You just have to be absolutely consistent with it. EVERY time the bell rings, they go out with a cheerful 'GOOD OUTSIDE' and treat them as they go out. More treats and praise for peeing/pooping outside. Stick with that. Once they put together that peeing inside is bad, and ringing the bell lets them outside and gets them a treat or two, they'll get it and you're done. Added bonus: you'll have 'outside' as a command in your arsenal.

Also, have a place right near it to put the bell up. After they're housebroken they figure out that you're their doorbell bitch pretty quick.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.