Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I (think) I really want a boat......

Looking hard at used hooligan by stealthcraft or used flycraft. I like the idea of a small fishing raft to access the skinny water around wasatch front-Weber, provo as well as some rivers in southwest co. Also hoping either would be useful on the Madison or Henrys Fork. Thoughts, recommends, boat for sale, and experience with either of above mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If it flies, f__ks or floats it's always a better idea to rent.

And if you do buy, be sure to get the red one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

The best boat in the world is your good friend's boat. We had a little v hull outboard with an additional trolling motor. Really simple basic, low tech.. Fucking thing was one repair/replacement after another for 20 years. Friends with boats are always working on them or paying a lot of money to someone else to keep them running.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexdnmsu View Post
    Looking hard at used hooligan by stealthcraft or used flycraft. I like the idea of a small fishing raft to access the skinny water around wasatch front-Weber, provo as well as some rivers in southwest co. Also hoping either would be useful on the Madison or Henrys Fork. Thoughts, recommends, boat for sale, and experience with either of above mentioned?

Do it! Boats are fucking awesome. I have only been without a boat one year my entire adult life. Usually had several to choose from. Now I’m down to one since some buddies have boats to cover the other species/waters.
    The ones you are looking at look awesome. I have no experience with them though. Rafts and drift boats require almost zero maintenance, didn’t say none, just very little. The waters you are wanting to put it on are a ton of fun to fish/float. Don’t listen to the naysayers, esp super Jong. The fact he had a boat and kept dumping money into for 20yrs speaks volumes.
    Like anything, take care of it with routine maintenance and it will take care of you.

Little outcast fish cats, pac 800, etc, could be great. Can be had readily on CL or ksl for pretty cheap. Small stuff not requiring a trailer great if solo fishing and totally worth it. But then you’ll start eying drift boats...

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    Little outcast fish cats, pac 800, etc, could be great. Can be had readily on CL or ksl for pretty cheap. Small stuff not requiring a trailer great if solo fishing and totally worth it. But then you’ll start eying drift boats...
    That's what I bought last fall, a Fish Cat 9, got it on the Teton three times last fall, fkn love it. Came cheap, and with a bracket, trolling motor and battery if I ever want to hit a lake. Stoked to hit the South Fork with it this summer and some sections of the Snake. It's a little different to row as you don't pull a ton of water each stroke of the oars, i'm half thinking of 6" longer oars...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I have a 22 year old drift boat. I think it is the one purchaser I have made that I have absolutely zero regrets over. Low maintenance and many many days on the water. I wouldn't mind having something smaller for solo trips or low water and may add a Fish Cat to the fleet. Do it, you will never regret it. The fact super jong said not to is all the proof you need to realize it is the right thing to do!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Have thought about adding an inflatable sup to the quiver too. For spots like the Teton to makes access even easier. A watermaster has always looked intriguing. I really like the ability to put feet down and walk the boat though shallows or when stalking. I use a pac 1200 on the Teton and other small rivers when solo or fishing 1 buddy. W a slightly different frame it’s done other great ID rivers like the mf salmon, main salmon, payette stretches etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    The best boat in the world is your good friend's boat. We had a little v hull outboard with an additional trolling motor. Really simple basic, low tech.. Fucking thing was one repair/replacement after another for 20 years. Friends with boats are always working on them or paying a lot of money to someone else to keep them running.
    Pretty sure he’s talking drift boats...which takes a huge amount of complexity out of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Like anything, take care of it with routine maintenance and...
    have all accessories shipped to your friends house so your wife never finds out.

Buy the boat OP!

I got in hot water with my father once, when I laughed at a remark mom made about the cost of his 22’ fishing boat. I mentioned that the replacement cost of the tackle in the boat was greater than the value of the old craft. So if fishing is your bent, just bear that in mind

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Pretty sure he’s talking drift boats...which takes a huge amount of complexity out of the equation.
    Right, something for short range calm water outings doesn't have to be as reliable either. Being 20 miles from the ramp out in open water with a thunderstorm kicking up and engine problems sucks beyond explanation.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Obligatory, Bust Out Another Thousand, post.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Compare the Hooligan to the Aire Puma or Super Puma. The design differences in width, bow/stern rise and pontoon diameter are big, to say the least. Those design differences trade off stability for stealth and (mostly) cutting down on the wind resistance profile. My opinion on rafts is if you are going to do some skinny water, might as well be ready for boney water. They tend to go hand in hand. So you might as well get the gold standard for whitewater performance fishing rafts or something else close to it. Just sayin', the Hooligan looks well suited for skinny water but not boney water. For going over modest drops, hitting big wave trains or tangling with class III holes, the Hooligan is missing some standard whitewater design features. Not saying its a bad boat but it looks more stealthy than stable, capiche?

I can see it though. Good for streams where boat ramp are scarce and good for class II water that has lots of shallows but not much gradient (hello Madison River). Can do double duty on small lakes without getting blown all over the place.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 03-29-2019 at 09:08 PM.

I'm not a fan of the flycrafts. I have an Outcast Stryker, while not perfect it handles well in bigger water.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Compare the Hooligan to the Aire Puma or Super Puma. The design differences in width, bow/stern rise and pontoon diameter are big, to say the least. The differences trade off stability for stealth and (mostly) cutting down on the wind resistance profile. My opinion on rafts is if you are going to do some skinny water, might as well be ready for boney water. They tend to go hand in hand. So you might as well get the gold standard for whitewater performance fishing rafts or something else close to it. Just sayin', the Hooligan looks suited for skinny water but not boney water. For going over modest drops, hitting big wave trains or tangling with class III holes, the Hooligan is missing some standard whitewater design features. Not saying its a bad boat but it looks more stealthy than stable, capiche?
    Wow.... had no idea those rafts went north of $5000

I (think) I really want a boat......

Thanks all for your input. I am now officially in the “I must get a boat camp”.

Neck deep- your assessment is spot on and something I still have not sorted out. Just yesterday I was about 5 minutes too late to close a deal on a NRS outlaw 14’. I was being a cheap ass wanting a steal when in reality I missed out on a helluva a deal.

A single man pontoon won’t work- i happen to still enjoy hanging with my wife and she is liking fwd to fishing and rowing.

At this point, if a legit whitewater boat or stealth boat pops up in my price range, I’m in.

Still interested in keeping this thread alive if anyone else has input or review of boats that are or should be on my radar.

Last edited by Alexdnmsu; 03-29-2019 at 10:24 PM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    as someone with both a puma and a hog island drifty
    lexi bells quote of "no matter what you do to that raft or do dads you put on it
    It will never fish as nice as a drifty" holds true
    and I fish the sup a lot cause solo its way easier and stealthy
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I bought an old Yellowstone drifter from a buddy super cheap and floated the living shit outta that bad boy, then picked up a cheapish RO that I've been loving. Also picked up a cheap old Riken bucket boat for boney shit. Now looking for a aire 143d for the new water near me. Also have a troller for lakes but want a cheap jon boat for Georgetown. So in other words boats are fucking rad so just buy one(or 4) and get to fishing!

Im a former owner of a Fish Cat 13, current owner of the parking spot for SFB's puma and someone who luvs floating in a drifty I might have some inputs.

Catarafts are super hella stable and lighter than comparable sized real raft + frame.
    SFork of the Snake, All the fun on the green, Sfork Boise any big water no problem.
    Not a fan of the flycrafts but they seem to be well made.
    Don't like a boat where standing to cast and fish isn't in the design but the low gunnel is a deal breaker for me I wouldn't trust it in any bigger than the lopro.
    I could fit the cat in the back of my truck fully inflated and assembled.
    Launch and load myself before my kid was big enough to help.
    The tubes sat on the bedrails with the tips of the pontoons on the roof a couple of rachet straps and your done.
    Sold it when I was between jobs and needed to eat. Regret it every day.
    FWIW PAC12>Fish Cat 13 Same size, same frame, way better tubes and bladder materials that are worthy of real rivers with sharp shallows.

I have run the lower provo a bunch of times in the fish cat and it is a hoot, never floated the weeb.
    Only really a couple spots to get in trouble and a good stick can fish the whole thing while floating.
    The old bridge abutment above the trailer park and the rocks above hoover hole being the worst.
    Don't fear the tube hatch, the fish don't care and I've seen some very unchristian but entertaining things at bikini beach.
    High Country Outfitters will shuttle you for $5 and let you use their takeout.
    Another takeout for a shorter float at the turnout around the tunnel.
    There is another takeout past the sketchy redneck tube company at the top of the reservoir,
    I never shot the railroad bridge always walk it through on river right.

I think they would both be doable in the Puma but launch and takeout could be a hassle due to the weight difference between cat and raft.
    Outfitted raft with frame pretty much demands a trailer unless you want to spend hours at the takeout and putin.
    Also you run longer oars in a raft and there are some tighter spots that could get interesting.
    Neither are as nice to fish from when compared to a drifty but way more versatile in terms of the rivers you can run.
    Raft gets the vers nod cause you can paddle it with your drunk friends and drink beers from your booty when you go for a swim.
    Which you can do from a SUP or a Cat but if you swim from a drifty you done fucked up.
    Having swam from a drifty I know.

If I had the money I would go for a driftboat and drive to water worthy of it but I am a poverty boater so get it done any way you can!

Hit me up lets go fish!

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Obligatory, Bust Out Another Thousand, post.
    A boat is a hole in the water that you throw lots money into.

I (think) the consensus is...

There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Name:  messabout.jpg
Views: 2421
Size:  60.1 KB

Great Wind in the Willows refrence, takes me back to my childhood

Ha SFB, surprised you remember that! We need to get another fish summit goin!

While I stand by the drift boat over a raft from a purely fishing standpoint, the versatility of a raft is why I still own my Aire 143R after 14 years. I can rig it to fish with three folks (lean bars, swivel seats, rod-holders, anchor, etc), rig it to run Class III - IV whitewater (thwarts, self-bailing, small frame OR paddle crew), bring along 8 folks for a mellow booze-cruise, or load it up for a family multi-day trip.

My only suggestion is if kids, dogs, friends, or overnighters are in your future be careful limiting yourself with a boat you could potentially grow out of sooner than you may care to.

Or go the Life-link-split method, and have a boat for every application!

Floating rivers fishing with your buddies is super fun, but for me having a go-to activity with my family that everyone enjoys is huge. Add an SUP and or kayak so the kids can be semi-independent when they are old enough.

Ignore the ding-dongs above with the bullshit money-pit comments, like 2Funky said they must be doing it wrong. Floating the river on your boat with your agenda with who you want is a true joy, I'll be a boat owner for the rest of my life.Name:  IMG957894.jpeg
Views: 2543
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5891.JPG
Views: 2302
Size:  44.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post
    Great Wind in the Willows refrence, takes me back to my childhood

Ha SFB, surprised you remember that! We need to get another fish summit goin!

While I stand by the drift boat over a raft from a purely fishing standpoint, the versatility of a raft is why I still own my Aire 143R after 14 years. I can rig it to fish with three folks (lean bars, swivel seats, rod-holders, anchor, etc), rig it to run Class III - IV whitewater (thwarts, self-bailing, small frame OR paddle crew), bring along 8 folks for a mellow booze-cruise, or load it up for a family multi-day trip.

My only suggestion is if kids, dogs, friends, or overnighters are in your future be careful limiting yourself with a boat you could potentially grow out of sooner than you may care to.

Or go the Life-link-split method, and have a boat for every application!

Floating rivers fishing with your buddies is super fun, but for me having a go-to activity with my family that everyone enjoys is huge. Add an SUP and or kayak so the kids can be semi-independent when they are old enough.

Ignore the ding-dongs above with the bullshit money-pit comments, like 2Funky said they must be doing it wrong. Floating the river on your boat with your agenda with who you want is a true joy, I'll be a boat owner for the rest of my life.Name:  IMG957894.jpeg
Views: 2543
Size:  70.0 KB
    To be fair I have prob spent less on all my boats then a new raft or drifter.

I first saw that qoute while reading "The Emerald Mile".

Also down for a mag meetup for a float.