Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2019

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I'm a huge Snowbird fanboi, but the recent trail work is not all good. Some of the new lines added are so steep that it's virtually impossible to climb up (I climbed up on Sunday am). I was the only one out of 10 in our group to clean it.

What makes no sense is that they eliminated a good climbing line when putting in the DH line and berms. It would have been easy enough to keep the old line for climbing, while still adding the DH one, but they elected to eliminate the old route entirely. A decent # of folks do climb BMT in the morning before the Tram allows bikes up to Hidden Peak at 11am.

But the berm work has improved a lot, much better than year's past.
    Ah bummer. I’ve only done it as an out and back in the am was wondering about some of the steeper berms on the up. Although curious more on the down now w possibly kid in tow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Recently, saw a friend of a friend link dirt roads and Alta singletrack with the BMT. 20 mile ride and something like 4k vert, but looked like a fun ride. probably the route I'll do the next time I ride BMT

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190730_191802.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	289798

Alta's brown pow is riding pretty well. Found tacky dirt and only a couple of mini snow patches on the Castle loop. Mandelbrot is definitely 2+ weeks out though, those drifts aren't going anywhere fast. Has anyone here cleared the Catherine Pass trail, at least to the Castle connector? I hear it's doable but there's at least 1 section right before the connector I can't imagine getting through without getting a new and improved heart...
    I made the mistake of wrapping up my ride on the mid-week MTB race course at the Bird after the last rider has gone through. It looked and felt like heavy construction equipment had rampaged the Midway/Baby Thunder section. Bottomless dust, ruts, brake bars and holes, loose chunks of granite, basically utter destruction. It's amazing how much damage can be done by a pack of people trying to go too fast over the course of 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Recently, saw a friend of a friend link dirt roads and Alta singletrack with the BMT. 20 mile ride and something like 4k vert, but looked like a fun ride. probably the route I'll do the next time I ride BMT
    A couple years ago a friend's wife dropped us in PC and we went Scott's Pass->Catherines Pass->Baldy->BMT->White Pine/LCC/Quarry. 6k descent, that was fun.

For awhile now I've had it on my radar to park at Snowbird, pedal/push/carry to Sunset Pass, down Alta Dry Fork, up the Mineral Basin road and finish with the BMT. Alta Dry Fork is fucking rad and that's the only way I've been able to dream up that it can be done without a huge car shuttle or HABing back up it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Has anyone here cleared the Catherine Pass trail, at least to the Castle connector?
    That's a quite definitive "No" for me.

I always hit Catherine's via Supreme road (miserable climb up), but then it's all glory DH, and then a short climb to Devil's Castle and Mandelbrot. We call it the "Alta-8" (Alta figure 8). I love that upper section which is unridable going uphill for a lot of the way. After Snake Pit and Whirly Bird we sometimes do a tram lap or 2 on the way down canyon.

I did Mandelbrot tonight, massive snow meltage. I only had to dismount 1 time today going through there.
    Last edited by SJG; 08-01-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I always hit Catherine's via Supreme road (miserable climb up), but then it's all glory DH, and then a short climb to Devil's Castle and Mandelbrot. We call it the "Alta-8" (Alta figure 8). I love that upper section which is unridable going uphill for a lot of the way. After Snake Pit and Whirly Bird we sometimes do a tram lap or 2 on the way down canyon.

I did Mandelbrot tonight, massive snow meltage. I only had to dismount 1 time today going through there.
    ^^ Good beta! I didn't look when I was there Tuesday as I had heard reports or monster snow drifts "at least 6' deep".
    Escaped from work at 1ish yesterday to bang out a Crest before everything returned to dust. On and off micro showers kept things cool on the way up and the down was TACKY! The difference with last week's ride was staggering. Even Insurgent was tolerably dry.

I think that T-storm we had Wed evening finished them off.

It poured in PC this afternoon. I heard it hailed pretty good in Alta. Dirt's gonna be nice and tacky tomorrow.

Does anyone know if any shuttle companies will do pickups at the bottom of WOW?

Don't know of any shuttles, but it's 100% rideable going up WOW if you want to man up and do a two-way. Not sure about the mud factor. Wife just got back from a road ride up Guardsman Pass and said it's pretty muddy, but that didn't stop the shuttle services from dumping off a couple loads at 6:30 a.m. for the Crest Trail.
    Gravity Junkie

It must have seriously been coming down in upper bcc/lcc yesterday. Lots of trail damage out there and piles of hail were still around on shady aspects at 1:30. Days was significantly spicier than the last time I rode it.

Name:	IMG_20190804_122940686_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	510 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	290169Name:  IMG_20190804_125107817_HDR.jpeg
Views: 821
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:	IMG_20190730_191802.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	289798

Alta's brown pow is riding pretty well. Found tacky dirt and only a couple of mini snow patches on the Castle loop. Mandelbrot is definitely 2+ weeks out though, those drifts aren't going anywhere fast. Has anyone here cleared the Catherine Pass trail, at least to the Castle connector? I hear it's doable but there's at least 1 section right before the connector I can't imagine getting through without getting a new and improved heart...
    I made the mistake of wrapping up my ride on the mid-week MTB race course at the Bird after the last rider has gone through. It looked and felt like heavy construction equipment had rampaged the Midway/Baby Thunder section. Bottomless dust, ruts, brake bars and holes, loose chunks of granite, basically utter destruction. It's amazing how much damage can be done by a pack of people trying to go too fast over the course of 2 hours.
    mandelbrot is all clear as of monday

Thanks for the update!!

Did a plan B Solitude/Crest/Bear Trap yesterday after failing yet again to remember about the mid-week MTB racers swarming the Solitude trails...
    Crest was not that affected by the heavy rains, some of the off-camber sections got a bit sketchier because of water ruts but overall it's unchanged. Bear Trap has a major rut down the entire first half where the trail basically turned into a creek. Once you put a tire in there you get sucked in and you can maintain speed with both wheels locked since it's full of gravel. A bit unnerving at times considering the angle of the trail and the significant booby traps.
    Daktari got TORN UP by the big Tstorms. It's basically a creek bed now. I don't say this often but I should have taken the road back to Solitude.

On a related note, I was cruising along on Crest around 8pm enjoying the sunset and came across 2 runner ladies. One of them started furiously cheering me on then proceeded to slap my (sweaty spandexed) ass as went by. What is this world coming to?

Name:	IMG_20190806_200451.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	290518

Daktari got TORN UP by the big Tstorms. It's basically a creek bed now. I don't say this often but I should have taken the road back to Solitude.
    After riding up it Sunday on the way to Days I elected to take the road to Mill F yesterday. Definitely a bummer. Sounds like Bear Trap is a whole new experience now, yikes. Nice shot!

Dirt was still prime yesterday. Dry, but zero dust. Mill F-Crest-Millcreek Meadows-GWT-Big Water-Mill D is a fine, fine loop. Ate it hard in the pre-spine rocks when a guy walking his bike to the B-line decided at the last second to take a look at the A-line and walked right in front of me. Both my hands are hurting today.

On a related note, I was cruising along on Crest around 8pm enjoying the sunset and came across 2 runner ladies. One of them started furiously cheering me on then proceeded to slap my (sweaty spandexed) ass as went by. What is this world coming to?
    Sorry man, it sucks to be objectified like that. #metoo

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    After riding up it Sunday on the way to Days I elected to take the road to Mill F yesterday. Definitely a bummer. Sounds like Bear Trap is a whole new experience now, yikes. Nice shot!

Dirt was still prime yesterday. Dry, but zero dust. Mill F-Crest-Millcreek Meadows-GWT-Big Water-Mill D is a fine, fine loop. Ate it hard in the pre-spine rocks when a guy walking his bike to the B-line decided at the last second to take a look at the A-line and walked right in front of me. Both my hands are hurting today.
    That loop is next on my list. Looks more appealing than Deso to Mill D plus you can throw in the mini section of Red Pine Rim which may be my favorite part of Crest and not have to backtrack too far.

What do you call Mill F btw? I assume it's the Old Stage Road right across from the Soli upper entrance? Starts paved through some cabins then goes back and forth between dirt and pavement a couple of times?
    I rode it yesterday and came to a spot where a fork branches left past a couple of gates. I decided to check it out instead of continuing on Old Stage to reach the pavement and the Crest Connector. It's a nice double track which is fading into oblivion, it follows a creek through aspen groves and meets up with the connector a few 100' below puke hill. Sustained grind but pleasant, beats the other way but I'm not 100% sure on access. The double gate at the bottom seems to indicate serious no no but there are none of the expected NO TRESPASSING OR I'LL SHOOT YOU IN THE DICK signs and the top isn't gated. Looks like an old access road to the Iowa Copper Tunnel mine which is long gone. I found a thread of MTBR.com discussing access issues due to remediation in 2007 but nothing since. Apparently there were signs everywhere back then...

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Sorry man, it sucks to be objectified like that. #metoo
    Ha!! So odd when the roles are reversed. I hope she had hand sanitizer or a blowtorch to clean her hand, my ass is the last thing anyone should want to slap when I'm riding, I'm a literal fountain of salty water.

Yeah, Old Stage to the double gate and hang a left. That whole little side canyon was historically known as Mill F. Such a nice sneaker route. There's also some singletrack that connects from Soli 1 to Old Stage. It's a bit overgrown but could be nice if more people rode it.

Access past the double gate is probably not 100% kosher. But, it's clearly rarely used and has not been signed as private property/no trespassing in the 3-4 years I've been using it. I've encountered random hikers in there a few times. Here's a good summary of Utah trespass law: https://intermountainlegal.net/crimi...espass-lawyer/

If you encounter someone who tells you to GTFO you definitely should and that's likely to be the end of it. IANAL, but if you did somehow manage to end up facing trespass charges, given the lack of signage and lack of a gate at the top it seem very unlikely things would escalate all the way to a conviction. That area has several roads that are gated to prevent motorized access but pedestrian/bicycle access is allowed. In the absence of signage, fencing and/or an upper gate a "reasonable person" could conclude that those two gates serve the same purpose, or at least that's how I'd argue it to a judge.

Yeah, Old Stage to the double gate and hang a left. That whole little side canyon was historically known as Mill F. Such a nice sneaker route. There's also some singletrack that connects from Soli 1 to Old Stage. It's a bit overgrown but could be nice if more people rode it.

Access past the double gate is probably not 100% kosher. But, it's clearly rarely used and has not been signed as private property/no trespassing in the 3-4 years I've been using it. I've encountered random hikers in there a few times. Here's a good summary of Utah trespass law: https://intermountainlegal.net/crimi...espass-lawyer/

If you encounter someone who tells you to GTFO you definitely should and that's likely to be the end of it. IANAL, but if you did somehow manage to end up facing trespass charges, given the lack of signage and lack of a gate at the top it seem very unlikely things would escalate all the way to a conviction. That area has several roads that are gated to prevent motorized access but pedestrian/bicycle access is allowed. In the absence of signage, fencing and/or an upper gate a "reasonable person" could conclude that those two gates serve the same purpose, or at least that's how I'd argue it to a judge.
    Thanks for that.
    I'm not overly concerned about trespassing charges and, as you mentioned, if it came to actual legal action the lack of signage would probably play in my favor. I'm more worried about some asshat getting all red in the face and yelling at me. Riding is my happy place and probably the only time I'm not pissed at something, I'd like to keep it that way and would happily turn around if someone calmly told me that I have no business being on that road.
    People get oddly riled up at "trespassers" around here. I get it if you're riding across their backyard but if you're solo wandering up a confusingly signed dirt road in the middle of nowhere they'd probably get better results from a simple explanation than from threats of violence and police involvement. I tend to respond in kind which wouldn't lead anywhere good, especially considering the number of armed lunatics roaming around looking for an excuse to exercise their right to play soldier.

Side note on that point: this Sunday I hiked up to Silver Lake from AF. There were literally hundreds of people on the trail. Halfway up we come across a blonde lady in a american flag bikini top and her SO in his american flag wife beater with a NRA cap on. Both were open carrying. What in the fuck is the point? Marmots aren't exactly threatening and that's about all the wildlife up there. Maybe they're worried somebody is going to steal their floaties?

I tend to respond in kind which wouldn't lead anywhere good, especially considering the number of armed lunatics roaming around looking for an excuse to exercise their right to play soldier.
    Hah. I'm not really the scream-and-yell type, thankfully.

That storm really did a number on BCC and I assume LCC as well. Honeycomb got pretty wrecked and that rock garden is a whole new beast now.

I was just thinking last night that Honeycomb must have taken it hard as well. Probably also Alta Dry Fork, Catherine's, Snake Pit, and really anything on the steeper side.

How much rain did you guys get out of that storm? We got very little, enough to settle the dust for a few hours.

Wasatch 2019

It was raining 2in/hr and dumping grape sized hail for a decent amount of time. A lot of honeycomb was still saturated two nights ago.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    How much rain did you guys get out of that storm? We got very little, enough to settle the dust for a few hours.
    Shit got Biblical for a while up high. Piles of hail still on the ground 24 hours later on high shady aspects, zero dust on the Crest and even some tacky areas 72 hours later, major erosion anywhere that the trail surface captured the runoff.

Shit got Biblical for a while up high. Piles of hail still on the ground 24 hours later on high shady aspects, zero dust on the Crest and even some tacky areas 72 hours later, major erosion anywhere that the trail surface captured the runoff.
    I was climbing at Hellgate when it happened. I thought I had seen it a few years back when a Tstorm hit and Lisa Falls vomited a large pile of debris from gravel to mircrowave-sized blocks across the road. This storm was worse. Every gully and runnel between the towers started pissing milky water and after a couple minutes rocks started flowing down in the broth. We hunkered down under a big overhang to wait it out but eventually fled when rocks of all sizes started landing around us. It was an interesting run down the steep "trail" which by then was a creek bed. Getting pelted by hail and sliding all over the place didn't help.

Crest fared pretty well all things considered. Can't imagine the Honeycomb rock garden getting any harder, it's rough enough as it is. Guess if you peel off another 2" of dirt and loosen up the rocks it can go to triple black diamond uber gnar...

Whoa, bottom of Hellgate cliffs during a deluge like that sounds like a terrifying place to be.