Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2019

had just got off the tram as the hail hit myself. with a buddy to ride down BMT. We waited out the storm for like 20 minutes or so (the summit building was closed to the public for a wedding so hid under a staircase!), then ended up riding down BMT in the lightning and rain. My first time on the trail, with brakes that need new pads - pretty amazing and terrifying honestly. Down lower ended up riding through a puddle that I'm told covered my entire deraileur. Prob a good 8 inches deep.

Speaking of rain and rides, I have limited times to ride this week and tonight was one. It just rained in Ogden for 3 solid hours, trying to decide what I could ride after 3 hours of sun this afternoon.

Just saw LCC closed due to mud slide. Not surprised with the precip we got in Sandy. Hope everyone is safe.

Just saw that LCC is closed indefinitely for a mudslide. Hope everyone is safe...that was an intense storm down in Sandy, can't imagine what it was like up the canyon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Just saw that LCC is closed indefinitely for a mudslide. Hope everyone is safe...that was an intense storm down in Sandy, can't imagine what it was like up the canyon.

JFC jinx lol

^ Lol

Name:  download_20190808_204844.jpeg
Views: 499
Size:  69.0 KB

Damn!

Holy shit.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I have a friend that was stuck up there overnight, she was driving down when it happened. News article from the evening I read said there were several cars stuck between two bigger slides.

Tour of Utah heads up there in a few days. They'll have that shit fixed quick.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post

Maybe not. Lisa Falls puked its standard amount of rocks and mud on the road and they usually clear that up fast but there's apparently another slide up high that did significant damage, undercut the road, and exposed a gas line. Not sure where exactly, I doubt Tanners or Maybird made it across the road considering the length of their runout zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    apparently another slide up high that did significant damage, undercut the road, and exposed a gas line.
    https://twitter.com/johnegleason/sta...32108933632000

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Maybe not. Lisa Falls puked its standard amount of rocks and mud on the road and they usually clear that up fast but there's apparently another slide up high that did significant damage, undercut the road, and exposed a gas line. Not sure where exactly, I doubt Tanners or Maybird made it across the road considering the length of their runout zone.
    Have you heard of "The Millers?"

I'm pretty sure that gas line is 300+ psi. Pretty crazy, though not all that surprising considering how intense the rain was in sandy. Severe trail damage seems all but certain, at least in places.

Imagine if this had happened on a Saturday afternoon when there was tons of traffic on the road.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-09-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Can't figure out where that is. Looks like the area just below Lisa Falls but the vegetation doesn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm pretty sure that gas line is 300+ psi. Pretty crazy, though not all that surprising considering how intense the rain was in sandy. Severe trail damage seems all but certain, at least in places.

Imagine if this had happened on a Saturday afternoon when there was tons of traffic on the road.
    Absolute carnage.

A few years ago I got stuck in AF Canyon for a little bit with multiple slides. I drove around one as it was slowly moving across the road, then got stopped by more below. I eventually freaked out, drove back up and managed to crawl over the toe of the pile on the downhill shoulder of the road and go all the way around the Alpine Loop to get out.

It was the same summer that LCC got pummeled like this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, I had the same thought about trail damage. Curious how bad it is.
    Thanks Shane

In other news, Jacobs survived.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post

They aren’t going up LCC in this years tour, but they are having the prologue up at Snowbird doing like 3 mile laps utilizing the bypass road between the Bird and Alta.

Here's just above 3rd bridge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quarry 3rd Bridge.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	290775

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    They aren’t going up LCC in this years tour, but they are having the prologue up at Snowbird doing like 3 mile laps utilizing the bypass road between the Bird and Alta.
    Truth, and apparently the TV crews can't even get up there. That's a problem, ask me how I know.

Holy fuck.
    What is most impressive to me is the shot around 2:05 showing the Campus boulder. I used to climb up there a bunch and the problems were mostly tall and scary. A few years ago a big storm triggered a smaller mud slide which raised the ground significantly around the E face of the boulder, erasing a few problems. This time it looks like the boulder is mostly buried and all the highball problems are probably 3' tall at most... The creek bed has widened significantly and a bunch of trees are gone (probably piled up on the quarry trail below).

Pic from a few years ago (borrowed from mountainproject.com):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	290988

Screenshot from the video:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	293.3 KB 
ID:	290989

Edit: some nice trail pics to balance out the misery above. MillD to Crest to MillMeadows to BigWater to MillD = infinite bliss. The rut in the trail from Dog Lake to the Deso connector is impressive though, the rain didn't do that section any favors. Put a wheel in there and you may never come out.

Name:	IMG_20190809_180907.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	290991

Name:	IMG_20190809_181202.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	290992

I’ve been riding with some family for the last 5 days and all I can say is get out there! I’d much rather have some washed out stuff than moon dust, and most trails are just awesome right now!! If your parking on guardsman, don’t. All of the historic pull outs are gone and they are making some big lots at bad locations. Plan in advance for change.

Last night I hiked from Tanners down to the 2nd bridge, hitting Flanders on the way.

Tanners DH is 50% gone. It will recover with time and a lot of work. Some areas are under 20-30' of rock and dirt, and others are scoured 20' deep.

Flanders is fine UNTIL the last 25%. From that on it is totally unrecognizable, like a nuke went off. The devastation can't even be shown in pictures. Unbelievable. I laughed out loud when I came across Big Stick though (a log roll made in April), it is still there despite the carnage. Mother Nature even wedged a stick under it, which looks like the stick on 210 "holding" the big bolder on the turn near the bottom LOL.