Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2019

More rock slides in LCC.... I'm afraid we'll be seeing a lot of this over the next year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm thinking Big Ben on Sunday. Who's in?
    Doing this...

https://mountaintrails.org/event-rac...tour-des-suds/

because whiskey hand ups.

No one wants to climb for 5 hours? Weird.

No one wants to climb for 5 hours? Weird.
    I'm out of town or I would!

Ogden mags: Can you ride the Ogden Brigham Canal road all the way to Perry? Are any parts it off limits?

Looking at it as an alternative to riding 89 and I'm not seeing any gates or anything on the aerial. Looks promising, downhill canal grade right to the Grizzly TH.

Ogden mags: Can you ride the Ogden Brigham Canal road all the way to Perry? Are any parts it off limits?

Looking at it as an alternative to riding 89 and I'm not seeing any gates or anything on the aerial. Looks promising, downhill canal grade right to the Grizzly TH.
    I can't imagine anyone would stop you. The canal roads in Weber county typically have gates where other roads intersect, but they are easy to ride around.

The Shoreline trail connects all but two miles apparently. Adds 2K of climbing.

Does the canal rd drop off the divide?
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I can't imagine anyone would stop you. The canal roads in Weber county typically have gates where other roads intersect, but they are easy to ride around.
    Yeah, the sections in/near town you can clearly see where people go around the gates and you can even see some signs in Streetview that just say "Closed to Motor Vehicles". North of town it goes past a few quarries though and that made me wonder. The Strava heatmap shows a fair amount of activity most of the way, but there's also a section about 2 miles long between 4000 N and 8000 S that has a conspicuous lack of activity. That part gives me a little pause. But, I'll also be there at 7:30 am on a Sunday....

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    The Shoreline trail connects all but two miles apparently. Adds 2K of climbing.

Does the canal rd drop off the divide?
    I've briefly considered the BST option in the past but quickly came to my senses

The canal actually runs all the way from Ogden Canyon to Brigham City. It passes through N. O-town about a block west of the North Mountain Rd TH and you can jump on it there. Through town it's pretty official and some parts are even paved, but past town it's less clear. A lot of the SL valley canals are marked as no public access, hence the question. It literally goes right to the Grizzly TH.

It's "downhill" in the sense that water is able to flow north, but the average grade is like -20 ft/mile. Not climbing, but definitely pedaling, especially since it's dirt. It'll probably be longer/harder than taking 89, but not by too much. Seems worth it to be away from traffic and up on the bench with a view.

what's your start time Sunday? 50/50 chance this could work out.
    bumps are for poor people

Yo ZZZ, ever climbed up White Rock? Just north of Willard Bay there's a double track that forks off the canal road up to the White Rock trail. It's labeled as "Fire Break Rd" in some places. From the bottom of Fire Break to the upper Grizzly/WR junction it's about 3.75 miles and 2k vert, which happens to be almost exactly the same distance/vert as it is if you took Grizzly the whole way from Perry. The Fire Break section looks steep and loose, but it also cuts out over 2 miles of traversing on the canal road. On the map White Rock doesn't look any more suffery than lower Grizzly so this seems like a tempting route. Plus, I've never done WR so it might be some nice exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    what's your start time Sunday? 50/50 chance this could work out.
    Hoping to be pedaling as soon as there's enough light, 6:45ish.

I haven’t. Only standard lower grizzly for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm thinking Big Ben on Sunday. Who's in?
    I quit biking in August and been hiking instead for some 'training' this fall (and barely doing that, really, too), someday I'll go for this ride.....not this year. Life can be annoying.

The canal road started out great, but then I hit the elk farm and was faced with 8-ft high fences as far as the eye could see and prolific "Trespassers Will Be Shot in the Dick" signs. Fuck. Bailed down to 89 and rode north to what looked on the heatmap to be the next obvious access point, only to find a massive fucking gate plastered with "NO TRESPASSING" signs with 24"-tall lettering. Not exactly equivocal. Rode north some more, tried another access point that looked promising but found more "I'll Shoot You in the Dick" signs.

At this point I should have taken the hint and settled in on 89, but part of me still really wanted to try that Fire Break/White Rock route. I had even found a TR from 2017 where some guys had gone that way and called it a "perfect connection" to White Rock (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...le-BETA-needed even has a link to their Strava from that day!). As I approached SR-315/750 N and leered east it looked like there might be an access point to the canal, and it would put me on it before the bottom of Fire Break. Sure enough, there was a well-worn ATV track off 750 N that went right to the canal and no signage to be seen. Score!

Started up Fire Break (which turned out to actually be a gas pipeline route) and it wasn't bad at all. About 2/3's of the way to White Rock it crosses Facer Creek, which I had expected to be a non-issue based on those guys' Strava. NOPE. 20-ft deep ravine with 10 ft of vertical drop on both sides and full of poison ivy in the bottom. I can only assume there must have been a big erosion event sometime last year. On foot I could have walked or butt-scooted the pipeline, but NFW with a bike. I poked around a bit above and below that spot, but found nothing navigable. Much swearing ensued, then I bailed down to the canal road and rode it to Perry. Arrived in Perry over an hour later than if I had just ridden 89, an extra 5 miles on the odometer and close to 1k on the vertometer, and feeling the heat start to settle in.

After that things went pretty good. The shitfuck bushwhack section above the White Rock junction is the same shitfuck bushwhack it's always been, no better but no worse than last year. The wind was blasting on the high shoulder section above the bushwhack which was pretty demoralizing. But, then I hit the Willard road and things took a solid turn for the better. Refreshed at the spring, gnoshed on some gooseberries along the Willard trail (bushes were fatter than I've ever seen them) and felt strong to the peak.

Descent started out awesome, but was interrupted by a nearly catastrophic sidewall slash. I noticed my front tire looking low, pulled off in the shade and found a nearly 2" long slice in the sidewall that was just deep enough to be slowly weeping air. Any deeper and I would have been walking out for 7 miles Put a tube in, reinforced the slash area with a couple folded $1 bills and got rolling again. Dialed it back a bit from there to NOD, but still grinned ear-to-ear the whole way. Let 'er rip on Pioneer West since I was close enough to not care about walking if the tire failed, but thankfully it held.

Hit the trailhead gate, then "Wait, why are there 2 cops standing at the back of my truck?" Thankfully it was simply that the people who had parked next to me had been broken into. They were just about finished up so by the time I had loaded my bike and changed shoes everyone had left and I was able to crack a cold beverage in peace.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 09-16-2019 at 12:29 PM.

^^^^Damn! I noticed the wandering around on your Strava and figured things must've gotten weird on the canal road. Nice way to finish it out though, looked like you rode all of the singletrack strong.

D00d that’s a rough and demoralizing start to a crusher of a ride. Way to power through! Wish I had the legs to have considered joining ya. My fitness has declined Adam er a mid-season slump and you wouldn’t have wanted to drag me along for that one. Nice work!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    D00d that’s a rough and demoralizing start to a crusher of a ride. Way to power through! Wish I had the legs to have considered joining ya. My fitness has declined Adam er a mid-season slump and you wouldn’t have wanted to drag me along for that one. Nice work!
    Thanks! I've been the dragee plenty of times in my life, notably the first time I did this ride with you, JTrue, Daywalker, et al. I don't mind reciprocating.

DTM, have you ridden Lewis? I think you’d like it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

South Skyline/Lewis has been on my to-do list for a long time but I've never made it happen.

Did you end up climbing White Rock? Curious what you thought if so. I climbed it last year when I did this loop to check it out. Not great - little traffic so it was a tough climb, overgrown and hard to follow in some places. Been a long time since I climbed Perry all the way so I can't remember it well, just that it seemed steep. The part above White rock was overgrown and torn up some by motos.

I did South skyline a few years ago. Not nearly as good of a ride, and did it wrong direction CCW. Didn't have time to hit Lewis either.

Has anyone raced the Eden Epic?

Quote Originally Posted by altabird92 View Post
    Has anyone raced the Eden Epic?
    Never raced it but I’ve ridden the course.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Did you end up climbing White Rock? Curious what you thought if so. I climbed it last year when I did this loop to check it out. Not great - little traffic so it was a tough climb, overgrown and hard to follow in some places.
    No, once I got shut down by the ravine and bailed to Perry there was no reason to do White Rock. Starting from Perry it would have just added more distance and time. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Been a long time since I climbed Perry all the way so I can't remember it well, just that it seemed steep. The part above White rock was overgrown and torn up some by motos.
    The first mile or so of Perry is pretty stout, then I think it's actually pretty nice until the upper WR junction and after you get past the bushwhack section above WR.

I did South skyline a few years ago. Not nearly as good of a ride, and did it wrong direction CCW. Didn't have time to hit Lewis either.
    I always assumed it wasn't as good of a ride as the Ben Lomond traverse, but also half the vert so not an ass-kicking all-day affair like BL is.

I always assumed it wasn't as good of a ride as the Ben Lomond traverse, but also half the vert so not an ass-kicking all-day affair like BL is.
    To me, the money section is the Windsurfer to Lewis out and back. And it's only 4k vert and 18 miles so it can be done after work. Just rode it Monday and it always puts a smile on my face.