Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2019

what's flanders?

Fat Lip looks like it got a little love. Just enough, not too much, it’s riding great. TG below BF got a little brushback too, the turns are a little less blind. Primo.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Coming down from the top of Little Cottonwood Trail (ruins), the first left is Cool Way. Cool Way exits back onto main trail just below Lisa Falls. Flanders is rider's right just below that (double black techy area down to 3rd bridge). Not on maps. It's "Tech Gnar" segment on Strava, if you follow that.

Thanks for the recon reports, I'm out of town this week. Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Mandelbrot is still 3 weeks out from being GTG. Mandelbrot season is going to be a month long this year, amazing.
    Curios if you know the history behind this trail name? I’ve been riding it for a long time and have always referred to it just as the “Castle Inner Loop.” Never heard the name Mandelbrot until I saw a Strava segment with that name fairly recently.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Fat Lip looks like it got a little love. Just enough, not too much, it’s riding great. TG below BF got a little brushback too, the turns are a little less blind. Primo.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Don’t even tell me they flushed the angry grouse outta Fat Lip, I don’t wanna hear it...

What’s next? No more close out turns on BF??

I didn't see him when I rode Fat Lip last week.

Coming down from the top of Little Cottonwood Trail (ruins), the first left is Cool Way. Cool Way exits back onto main trail just below Lisa Falls. Flanders is rider's right just below that (double black techy area down to 3rd bridge). Not on maps. It's "Tech Gnar" segment on Strava, if you follow that.
    Ah, ok. been riding that for about 10 years, didn't know it had a name.

LCC Trail work, 9am Saturday (8/17/19) at Lisa Falls trailhead, working til' 1pm or so. Tools provided. We are trying to rebuild what Mother Nature wiped out!

What tools are exactly provided, hopefully a D5 for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    What tools are exactly provided, hopefully a D5 for everyone?
    Heh. Wish I could make it. I need to refill my dig karma bank badly!

LCC Trail work, 9am Saturday (8/17/19) at Lisa Falls trailhead, working til' 1pm or so. Tools provided. We are trying to rebuild what Mother Nature wiped out!
    I'll be there if I can drag my carcass out of bed in the AM.

Got greedy this morning with a variation of
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Mill F-Crest-Millcreek Meadows-GWT-Big Water-Mill D
    and as usual bit more than I could chew. I tried to time the up so I could get to the top of Puke Hill between waves of shuttle donkeys but I failed miserably. There's so much spread between riders who are banging out a fast lap before work and those who are strolling up PH looking at the flowers that you're pretty much guaranteed to have to deal with 20+ peeps on Crest. I'm one of these idiots who sees someone ahead on a trail and has to chase them down at top speed. By the time I had passed half of the pack I was deep in the pain cave and when I finally ran out of people to chase I felt like my legs were entirely made of congealed lactic acid. Climbing from the Big Water parking lot to Deso Lake felt exactly like the last up on a huge tour when you're at the bottom of a steep drainage, the skinner isn't in, your skins won't stick, you got blisters, no food or water, and your underwear is bunching up at every 3rd step.

Everyone I ran into was psyched though, beautiful day out, hard not to have a grand old time shredding the brown pow. The dust is coming back but it's nowhere near as bad as early July. My first bike pose, I'm usually too stupid to find a way to make it stand up on its own (that's what she said):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190816_132948.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	291397

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PANO_20190816_132954.vr.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	291398

That Big Water climb is stiff after 1k' of Puke Hill and the 3 Bitches already behind you...... Glad you didn't take Little Water, it would have killed you! :-D

Every year I end up spending a day at various NICA race loops. Does anyone know if the single tracks behind soldier hollow are legal? I’ll be on them again next year.

That Big Water climb is stiff after 1k' of Puke Hill and the 3 Bitches already behind you...... Glad you didn't take Little Water, it would have killed you! :-D
    It's the last section before Deso that almost did me in. Sustained grind with a water bar or root every 20', at some point I was going so slow I just couldn't clear them anymore.
    Also, fook Little Water! Even hiking up it blows, it might be OK on the down? Maybe next time I'll go with Crest > Millcreek Meadows > GreatWest > Little Water down and back up Big W. Last week I got off MillMeadows and went up GreatWest a bit to sample Old Red Pine Rd which I had heard good things about. I thought it was pretty disappointing, the first half in the pines is fun but the lower section on the bench is pretty crusty. GreatWest rides significantly better...

I ran up to PC after work yesterday, the parking lot was completely deserted at 5pm, I guess 90% of the riding population is back to school? I saw a total for 4 riders and as many hikers, a nice change of pace.
    Fat Lip got a really nice makeover with some trimming and some refreshed turns, it rides very differently than it did a month ago. I took a comical digger (unfortunately without witnesses) after getting stung by something right after dropping into one of the steep winding sections. Fucker latched onto my ear lobe and instead of immediately slamming on the brakes I chose to one-hand my way into a chundery section while slapping the side of my face. I somehow managed to get my front wheel through the rocks and into the turn but caught the back tire on a shark and got tossed into the grass. I came out covered in those little barbed seeds that stick to everything, a poor man's ghillie suit. The back wheel was spinning and pathetically squirting sealant, the rock slid under a knob and lifted it right off. I managed to patch it with a couple of bacon strips but couldn't get the tire to reseat even after 2 CO2 bursts. Turns out the rock also dinged the rim and poked a small hole just above it. Another bacon strip didn't quite do it and I was over it by then, decided to skip the tube and settled for a slow exit on dirt roads with maybe 10psi in the back.

The "swat that thing stinging you" impulse is strong. A couple months ago we were at I Street and a yellowjacket stung me in the neck right as I was leaving the lip of the the gully step-up on Main Line. I instinctively swatted at it, then realized "HOLY SHIT I'M MID-AIR WITH ONLY ONE HAND ON MY BARS!!!" Manged to just get my hand back on before landing. My life's one and only one-hander.

I was perusing Trailforks reports last night looking for damage reports from the 8/8 storms. Found this pic of Days:

Yikes. Also, on Trailforks someone has recently edited Days, Silver and Honeycomb to show as hike-primary. That made me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The "swat that thing stinging you" impulse is strong. A couple months ago we were at I Street and a yellowjacket stung me in the neck right as I was leaving the lip of the the gully step-up on Main Line. I instinctively swatted at it, then realized "HOLY SHIT I'M MID-AIR WITH ONLY ONE HAND ON MY BARS!!!" Manged to just get my hand back on before landing. My life's one and only one-hander.

I was perusing Trailforks reports last night looking for damage reports from the 8/8 storms. Found this pic of Days:

Yikes. Also, on Trailforks someone has recently edited Days, Silver and Honeycomb to show as hike-primary. That made me chuckle.
    Holy shit... That looks like it would rattle a bit on the down. Guess I'm not riding Days this year, bummer.
    I wanted to go back to Honeycomb to clear the rock garden (almost committed on my first visit but one of the drops got the best of me and I had to walk it) but I've heard it's lost a fair bit of dirt and is even more serious now. Might give it a winter to replenish (and forget all about how gnar it is).

I also heard good things about Old Red Pine Rd., but was also disappointed. Overgrown and totally uneventful (unmemorable) descent.

I also heard good things about Old Red Pine Rd., but was also disappointed. Overgrown and totally uneventful (unmemorable) descent.
    Right? It also seems to be a favorite of the Wasatch Old Lady Hiking Group (TM) who I greatly disturbed on my ride. No amount of getting off the trail, polite small talk, and general good behavior seemed to change the way they were looking at me: some wheeled hooligan descending on their trail with raping and pillaging in mind.
    The same day I ran into 5 old ladies and 1 old guy casually strolling up Kruzr at Solitude. I asked them if they hiked up there often as it's not exactly a pleasant climb and it's generally full or raging bikers and they told me they did it once a week. Impressive effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    The same day I ran into 5 old ladies and 1 old guy casually strolling up Kruzr at Solitude. I asked them if they hiked up there often as it's not exactly a pleasant climb and it's generally full or raging bikers and they told me they did it once a week. Impressive effort.
    JFC.

I rode Red Pine Rd once. Once.

I wouldn't write off Days for the year. It's a 3-mile DH, I bet most of it is fine(ish). I feel like I need to ride Honeycomb again this year just to see the new state of the rock garden first-hand.

I'm doing Honeycomb today beginning 5pm if you want to come. Days Fork next week.

TBH the honeycomb rock garden isn’t that much worse now, just maybe one or two moves. It just looks a fair bit looser due to more crap covering the sides of the trail.

I think the Honeycomb garden (Rocky Chute) is super spicy, WAY harder than before the storm.

I think the Honeycomb garden (Rocky Chute) is super spicy, WAY harder than before the storm.
    Now I really have to go back, looks like the likelihood of a major explosion has increased a lot!!

Rode some PC new (to me) stuff yesterday. Wanted to take a look at Evil Empire, what an absolute shitbitch of a climb it is to get there!! That dirt road to the top of Empire must have been designed to offer the least possible amount of traction, 2" of loose gravel on a steep grade is just vile. EE is blown to shit, it's probably hard enough in good conditions but none of the gaps were all that appealing considering the landings feature huge root balls in 4" of moondust.
    Same thing with Moosehouse, seems like a rad winding trail but right now there are 60 different variations cutting straight down the fall line, basically trenches filled with dust you can only ride by dragging your rear wheel the whole way. Trailfork shows one straight down line bypassing the winding section but it looks like people have taken it upon themselves to pioneer new side lines.

I can't imagine the misery of Evil Empire the hard way. I always accessed via Guardsman and up the jeep road to Jupiter Peak and Ridge down, which is actually fun.

It's amazing how the conditions can make/break a trail. I did Evil Empire AND Moosehouse in the same ride 2 weeks ago, and it was as good as I've ever seen it (right after the rains).