Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2019

I'd be down to help do some work on it but it seems like it might be best to wait until there's some moisture in the soil? Right now you'd just be moving silt around. Maybe we'll start getting some t-storms this week.

It was a very large black male and I think I may have seen a 2nd one too, maybe a smaller calf or female.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I'd be down to help do some work on it but it seems like it might be best to wait until there's some moisture in the soil? Right now you'd just be moving silt around. Maybe we'll start getting some t-storms this week.

It was a very large black male and I think I may have seen a 2nd one too, maybe a smaller calf or female.
    Saw the pair when I rode up there in July. Huge bull, average sized cow. Definitely permanent residents of the spot below the upper steeps where the trees start. Not too territorial which is good when you're surfing the rut and basically couldn't stop if you tried. They gave me one look and wandered off while I tried to squeeze my brake levers even harder in hopes something good would happen...

Drove over Guardsman yesterday for the first time since mid-July. I had not heard that they closed all parking from the pass to the winter gate. Crest shuttlers must be pissed. I can certainly understand needing to address the junkshow the pass had become, but closing the ample-sized turnouts lower down near the top of Old Stage Rd seems a bit heavy-handed.

snow up high Wed..........

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Drove over Guardsman yesterday for the first time since mid-July. I had not heard that they closed all parking from the pass to the winter gate. Crest shuttlers must be pissed. I can certainly understand needing to address the junkshow the pass had become, but closing the ample-sized turnouts lower down near the top of Old Stage Rd seems a bit heavy-handed.
    Where do people park now? Parked roadside last fall, was shocked at what a shit show it was up there.

I either take a shuttle or pedal up from Mill-D. Or occasionally do a Crest loop from PCMR, pedaling up.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Where do people park now? Parked roadside last fall, was shocked at what a shit show it was up there.
    Use a commercial shuttle (that's a whole other issue, but in general the commercial shuttle companies can eat a dick, IMO), or the nearest legal parking areas are now 1 mile away on the Wasatch Co. side or 2 miles away on the Salt Lake Co. side. Personally I don't really care since I always ride it as a loop unless I'm with my kid, in which case the new MO will be to drop everyone off at the pass, drive back down to a legal parking spot, then try to pedal fast enough to catch up. A bit of a pain, but not too big of a deal besides fearing for my life on a shoulder-less road. But, it has to be pretty sucky for people on foot. Also sucky for the multitudes of shuttle monkeys who hate climbing and were already bonked out before they hit the top of Puke Hill, but I'm far less sympathetic to those clowns

ETA: What surprised me the most is the extent of the closure on the SLCo. side. There are some big turnouts over a mile below the pass that are now closed that have no effect on congestion at the pass.

Is that lower dirt lot with the port-a-potty closed, on the SLC side? I used to use that one to access PCMR loops when I didn't feel like driving all the way over there.

The spot off the hairpin by the gate at the bottom of the Crest Connect road? I believe so. The signs at the pass and the winter gate both say "No parking or stopping next 2 miles" and there's nothing at that spot indicating it's exempted. There were a couple cars parked in the turnouts below there (the ones near the brown "No snowmobile travel off the road" signs) that had parking tickets on their windshields. I think it's safe to assume that if you park anywhere between the pass and the winter gate you'll be ticketed.

Yes, the closures overkilled.

So how are the crowds on crest compared to years past? Did the parking situation impact that at all?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It’s definitely unclear whether you can park way off the toad by the crest connect 4x4. Gotta say it is nice having guardsman a lot quieter now and I think if they had allowed parking anywhere along the road, the shit show would just be relocated. They need more no parking signs on the empire side tho because idiots continue to block the very narrow part of the road even with the huge lot down the hill

Yeah that’s the lot I was wondering about. That’s ok, I’m good with no parking up there. It was such a junk show. They had to do something.

In other news the new 9k trail starting at empire pass is open all the way to the start of the Black Forest dh. It’s easy but fun and probably the most beautiful trail in the area. Makes a nice civilized loop with Black Forest which is completely clear right now and ultra tacky.

RIP Black Forest. A damn shame

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, I need to get up there before the snow flies and it gets completely blown out. Loved that that was so hard to get to, kept the jokers out.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

An easy way to get to Black Forest is just wrong.

Still have to ride big bear, suds, the road, or corvair to get up there. None of which are ever that busy so I doubt it will increase traffic that much, and the steep parts of BF are already blown out.

The new trail does make an easy shuttle from the new lot where they are forcing our consolidation. So Yes, more traffic from the top on that end. Just like Armstrong caused huge changes to traffic patterns, this one sill as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    The new trail does make an easy shuttle from the new lot where they are forcing our consolidation. So Yes, more traffic from the top on that end. Just like Armstrong caused huge changes to traffic patterns, this one sill as well.
    I agree but there are still way more people that will start rides from the base of PCMR.

Exactly, no good can come from easy shuttle access to BF. Oh well.

So, is this "9k" trail going to be like another Mid Mountain?

Exactly, no good can come from easy shuttle access to BF. Oh well.

So, is this "9k" trail going to be like another Mid Mountain?
    I think eventually it’ll go towards shadow lake and maybe crest

I'm thinking Big Ben on Sunday. Who's in?

I'm thinking Big Ben on Sunday. Who's in?
    Damn, I'll be out of town. The descent down to the divide road was as loose as I've ever seen it a week or so ago, hopefully it's improved with the moisture.

Definitely getting a good soaking today. It's been pouring in the SL valley.