Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: Wasatch 2019

Do they need more coaches so that they can break up into smaller groups and spread out? The few times I've run into them they are always very polite and it's hard to get upset about kids getting into the sport. I think the biggest thing that would help would be breaking them up into smaller groups so it's not such a huge train when you do run into them.

They do break up the groups by age or ability. Is hitting five groups of 10, or 1 group of fifty more annoying? There is no good answer and for me, the positive's of NICA far outweigh my agro need for speed and aggression in all interactions.

Hence back to my initial advice, If you see a team from one of the bigger schools at a trail head, pedal another mile or two to the next trail head. Let the kids have fun and keep our LBS's in business. Seriously, most of the Bikes are nicer than my outdated altitude. The number of kids is the issue. They are all taught to have good trail adequate and frankly, watching the races, a lot of us adults that have spent time on race courses could use some of their training. They are friendly to a fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    They do break up the groups by age or ability. Is hitting five groups of 10, or 1 group of fifty more annoying? There is no good answer and for me, the positive's of NICA far outweigh my agro need for speed and aggression in all interactions.
    We have 100+ person teams in Weber County. So it' s more like 10 groups of 15 (don't forget all the coaches, they claim a 1.8-1 athlete to coach ratio). And it has nothing to do with a need for agro speed, it's just simple usability. A ride with that many interactions isn't fun.

Hence back to my initial advice, If you see a team from one of the bigger schools at a trail head, pedal another mile or two to the next trail head.
    That's great advice for PC. Here, I've likely made a 20 minute drive commitment to get to that trailhead, and changing riding areas means loosing another 20 to get somewhere else. That eats a lot of ride time on an after work ride.

Let the kids have fun and keep our LBS's in business. Seriously, most of the Bikes are nicer than my outdated altitude. The number of kids is the issue. They are all taught to have good trail adequate and frankly, watching the races, a lot of us adults that have spent time on race courses could use some of their training. They are friendly to a fault.
    They are nice, super polite and I've rarely had a bad interaction. But what you are saying is that because they spend a lot of money and are having fun, the enjoyment of all other trails users should be on the back burner from August to October?

The number of kids is the issue.
    Yes. In an ideal world the increase in users would be matched by an increase in trails, but that clearly hasn't happened. I don't think it's out of line to look for solutions so that everyone can enjoy the trails.

I ride so early, I’m excited to see other people.
    It’s not that hard to avoid other users.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I ride so early, I’m excited to see other people.
    It’s not that hard to avoid other users.
    Skiing is the only thing that gets me out of bed early. I'd rather bike after work, bitch about people, and finish in the dark eating shit at every switchback.
    But really, I've had very very very few bad experiences on the trails this year. Groups are annoying but not exactly ruining my day. And as you said, sometimes it's nice to run into people after 2 hours of staring at the trail and talking to the cacti...

Alta to American Fork
    Catherines Pass-Ridge 157-Mill Canyon
    20 miles
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191014_101715.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	297908

Name:	20191014_113238.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	297909

Name:	20191014_124238.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	297910

Nice. How's the Alta Dry Fork descent doing lately? I last did it in 2017 and it appeared it had become more popular with the hill climb moto crowd because it was a lot more chewed up than it had been the previous time I rode it.

That damn cold snap last week just murdered the fall colors.

The dry fork descent is definitely sketchy in spots. A few alternate lines have been established. Most (90%) of it is still rideable.

Made it out to AF Canyon and a Crest lap this week. Pretty crazy how the cold snap turned the leaves brown. Been enjoying the bonus high country days, but the times they are a changin'.

Name:	IMG_0668.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	298136

Also, a large tree took out the bridge-rock-bridge feature towards the bottom of insurgent. Bummer

Name:	IMG_0685.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	298137

AF looks tasty!!

I squeezed in a MoPi ride before tonight's storm and was surprised to see some pretty major trail changes right off the Little Dell parking lot and again after crossing the road on the way to the campground. There are new machine-built sections bypassing the old shitty double tracks and they ride really well, moderate grades and gently banked turns. It looks like an entirely new trail is going in from the end of the campground coming back down, I imagine to try and keep people from raging around when there are campers everywhere. It's not finished yet and I'm not sure where it's going to connect to the existing MoPi trail, hopefully right where it goes from single track to dirt road through the campsites. Hopefully they wrap up before winter sets in...
    Some kind soul gave the Little Mountain ridge a good trimming this summer, it's growing back but still G2G.

Ran into a couple of young bull moose out there, hope they won't have to deal with the 45 or so hunters who were crawling all over the fucking place on top of Big Mtn pass. I was wearing bright yellow and was still gripped about riding around these guys, half of them were looking a bit loose with their huge ass rifles...

God pointing angrily at something in the valley:

Name:	IMG_20191017_180456.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	298256

Wasatch 2019

Beautiful photos! Glad you got some fun in before the storm! The wind today has been insane!