Voile fishscale V6 touring skis

Any body tried them ? do they work ?

I have the older vector bc skis. Yes, they work.

I've skied the Voile Charger BCs for years. They work for me.

How do you plan to use them? Remember, fishscales won't replace skins.

The V6 BC is an awesome ski. Here's a review I did awhile back.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=voile+brakes

Never tried the V6 BC, but I have hundreds of days on Vector BC and Charger BC. Very versatile skis. There are several threads re Voile fat fishscale luv, e.g., https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hscale-BC-skis. Quadzilla, Peruvian, Alpinord, SB and a few others have lots o' experience on fat fishscales. Get skins for steeper ascents. Take them out, experiment and learn what they'll do in various conditions. If you have XC fishscale experience, you'll get it immediately. If not, experiment with shorter/quicker (than skinning) stride and experiment with weighting on steeper/firmer ascents. On the downhill, you'll not notice the scales in pow and barely notice them on corn, but they are a PITA on firm. They often glide faster than smooth bases on wet base-suck warm spring snow.

GeezerSteve is quite the fish scale evangelist. I'm pretty sure he was the person that suggested I get some voile fishscales during an in-person chance encounter while skiing one day. I now have vector and charger BC versions, and, like everybody else has said, I love them both. Somehow they always seem to be on top of the snow and pointed the way I want them to be. They climb better than my waxless xc skis, probably b/c they have more surface area.

Quote Originally Posted by primate View Post
    They climb better than my waxless xc skis, probably b/c they have more surface area.
    and softer camber

Voile fishscale V6 touring skis

Have a pair of Harvest Homegrown 181’s with Voile fishscales — love em when it’s the right conditions. Skins for steeper approaches but again if it’s super steep I’m gunna be in a traditional ski for the ride down! Applications I like em for: meadow skipping, early season low snow coverage (don’t worry about ripping skins on rocks/roots.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    and softer camber
    good point

I've always had some sort of fishscale ski in my touring quiver in addition to regular base skis. A couple of years ago I decide to go to 100% Voile fishscales for all my tours regardless of hacking around meadow skipping or climbing and skiing any challenging terrain that is in the big mountain territory. I've got three pair, Vector BC tele, Hyper Vector BC Dynafits and Charger BC Dynafits. So, as you can see pretty big commitment to the concept. I tour primarily with skiers on regular base skis and my wife occasionally tours on her Vector BC tele. The skis dominate the up especially the low angle approaches, runouts and dominate the rolling terrain. As far as the descents, easy to ski and maybe slightly slower than a regular base ski on low angle. Bottomline, IMO, no disappointments.

OK, the real deal at least for me, since I tour with skiers on regular bases, I have to back way off on the approaches and runouts as I am gliding and they are slogging with skins. Then, everybody has to stop when I have to stop and add skins for any climb. As far as the descents, I have never held anybody back or slowed the group down however, on long ultra low angle runouts regular base sometimes glide better and I have to pole a bit to maintain speed. I would guess skiing my fishsclaes at a resort on resort snow they would suck especially on groomed snow. I did a Cat trip last month and I took my Charger BC's, everybody else on big mountain skis, I had no trouble at all and no regrets on my choice.

As far as a V6 BC, I have not skied that ski but imagine it is similar to a Vector BC as they are similar sized. It is a little bigger and a little more tip rocker so maybe better on soft snow and powder. I am around 190 and my Vectors BC's are actually doable on soft snow.

thinking about a pair of v6 bc for future purchase and don't want to put a pair of at bindings on them for smaller meadow skipping stuff.

Any light AT bindings that you can switch from walk to ski w/o having the need to unclip the toe? I'm new to gear and my current at bindings (atk fr14) require you to remove ski to switch from ski to walk.