Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    For me it was Santa Cruz.

I feel like a lot of these complaints relate to the time of year/crowdedness. Sedona in January>Sedona in March. Sedona in March is a shitshow.
    Agree with most comments above. Went to Santa Cruz once, never had the urge to go back since. Same with Bay Area in general. Though I do want to check out Coe.

Used to go to Sedona a lot. But now most trails have been made official and are signed, the hikers have found them. We never used to see many people on the trail, now most trails are overrun with gaping morons, both on foot and on two wheels. I'll still stop in for a day or two but it's no where near as good as it used to be. My favorite trails on the backside of Hangover were all shut down a few years ago.

I've never seen a photo or vid of Bend riding that made me think "I've got to go ride there" or that made the riding look interesting or challenging. I don't get why everyone thinks its so great.

Lots of other places that are hyped have decent riding and I'll do it, but not as its own trip. Places like Park City, Fruita, Crested Butte, Monarch Crest fall into that category. Interestingly I went back to some of those within the last couple years and thought the riding was better than I'd remembered. 401 in CB was a good example - didn't remember the descent being as much fun before. Lots of short rides, but I guess that's what most people like. Holy hell that place is busy though.

More locally, Mammoth has always disappointed me. Not as hyped, but Big Bear and Northstar too. But I am jaded living in BC and getting to ride Whistler for years ruined most other resorts for me. Cannell Plunge is another ride everyone in Socal is in love with that I think is completely overrated. There is much better riding even from that same trailhead that pretty much no one rides.

Moab and St George/Hurricane have so many different rides and such great scenery I find it hard to want to go back. And there is always new stuff being built. I won't spend a week at Moab again but a few days are always worth it, busy or not. There is still lots of lesser known but fun riding to do there.

Sedona glory days:

Went to Moab last year for the first time and was really worried about crowds... and it was dead, found a campsite no problem, saw about 5 people on porcupine rim. Late October. Had a good time, but can see how it would get old, some of the rides I wouldn't do twice and like someone said the trails don't go 'down' as much as I'd like.

Wait, actually it was busy and awful and nobody should go.

Santa Cruz and Demo I have to imagine are not that impressive for anyone lucky enough to live closer to spots more friendly to MTB, like Washington, Asheville, etc.

If you think they're disappointing, be glad you didn't ride most of the other crap we have around the Bay Area.

Crowds and mountain biking just doesn't equate for me. I mean this is a ski forum after all, and if you guys are complaining about mtb crowds then DO NOT take up surfing. MTB riding is spread across such a large area and distances that you really don't run into people that often. Here at home because I ride solo so much, I actually wish there were MORE people around as we usually get into some far desolate areas.

TWE in Moab, just catch the first shuttle and no dramas (although I do find a devilish happiness in passing multitudes of peeps, and the kooks are entertaining). Even Whistler BP I don't find to be big deal and I've only ever ridden there for the EWS during Crankworx week (busiest time of year). Sure a couple trails are busy (with a high percentage of faster/better riders) but there are plenty that aren't.

St. George is hurting in scenery, and anywhere that you can see you're whole barren riding landscape/area it's going to be boring AF. But you have to admit they've done a good job packing in as much riding with what there is. Of course you've also got Hurricane/Grafton/Virgin 30 min away.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

I've never seen a photo or vid of Bend riding that made me think "I've got to go ride there" or that made the riding look interesting or challenging. I don't get why everyone thinks its so great.
    To be fair there are a ton of trails and many of them are quite rideable from town. So great access and Bend itself is super bike friendly. Summer = hot + dry sand + crowds. There's a few week window towards the end of the season in fall where it cools down and they get some rain that is super fun. But again I probably wouldn't go to Bend as a riding only destination especially in summer.

I think the appeal of Bend is that there is a lot of different things to do (bike/fish/ski/climb/etc) and if you are also willing to drive there is much better riding ATMO in the Cascades including the Timber Trail.

*Edit plus Mt. bachelor if you're into the bike park sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    St. George is hurting for scenery? Hmmmm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2716.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	608.8 KB 
ID:	276143
    Hey, I gave it credit for what they've managed to accomplish I think you know what I mean with the treeless barren landscape and being able to see all of you're riding terrain from most any vantage point. The snow capped peaks does add a nice element though. St. George views =/ Hurricane/Grafton mesas.

Agree with most comments above. Went to Santa Cruz once, never had the urge to go back since. Same with Bay Area in general. Though I do want to check out Coe.

Used to go to Sedona a lot. But now most trails have been made official and are signed, the hikers have found them. We never used to see many people on the trail, now most trails are overrun with gaping morons, both on foot and on two wheels. I'll still stop in for a day or two but it's no where near as good as it used to be. My favorite trails on the backside of Hangover were all shut down a few years ago.

Lots of other places that are hyped have decent riding and I'll do it, but not as its own trip. Places like Park City, Fruita, Crested Butte, Monarch Crest fall into that category. Interestingly I went back to some of those within the last couple years and thought the riding was better than I'd remembered. 401 in CB was a good example - didn't remember the descent being as much fun before. Lots of short rides, but I guess that's what most people like. Holy hell that place is busy though.

More locally, Mammoth has always disappointed me. Not as hyped, but Big Bear and Northstar too. But I am jaded living in BC and getting to ride Whistler for years ruined most other resorts for me. Cannell Plunge is another ride everyone in Socal is in love with that I think is completely overrated. There is much better riding even from that same trailhead that pretty much no one rides.

Moab and St George/Hurricane have so many different rides and such great scenery I find it hard to want to go back. And there is always new stuff being built. I won't spend a week at Moab again but a few days are always worth it, busy or not. There is still lots of lesser known but fun riding to do there.

Sedona glory days:

Good place to have narrow bars.

Classic internet, this thread has far more posts than the "best ride areas" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Have to semi-agree here. I've been biking in Bend a handful of times (at different times of year) and always wonder if I'm missing the good trails afterwards. A lot of flat, sandy trails. If I'm heading that way from the valley I'd rather just stop in the Cascades or Oakridge instead.

I've never biked in Sedona but I've been hiking there a few times. Sure, I'd love to get a bike there too but I can't imagine it sucking. That place is so beautiful (even if it's crowded) just look around.

And last places that suck... upstate/central New York. A lot of great gravel riding but when looking for mountain biking I'll pass.
    You're doing it wrong. There are so many fantastic places to ride in upstate NY. Talk to me first if you're going to be here again and I'll point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    You're doing it wrong. There are so many fantastic places to ride in upstate NY. Talk to me first if you're going to be here again and I'll point you in the right direction.
    I grew up in upstate NY! But next time I'm back I'll have to hit you up!

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Classic internet, this thread has far more posts than the "best ride areas" thread.
    Haha, yeah I noticed that too. Hey I contributed but to be fair, the OP was a little vague/general with his request.

What about you mtnlion, you started this thread and travel a lot with your bike, where have you not enjoyed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    I think the appeal of Bend is that there is a lot of different things to do (bike/fish/ski/climb/etc) and if you are also willing to drive there is much better riding ATMO in the Cascades including the Timber Trail.
    Dunno I always hear people go on about how great the riding is in Bend, but it looks pretty boring to me. I don't care if the riding is easily accessible as long as it is good, nor do I care much if the nearby town is bike-friendly or if there are tons of non-bike activities. Maybe that is important if you're there with family. I'll probably ride a couple days in Bend if I'm ever nearby again - would like to check out Castle / O'leary and more stuff in Oakridge. I did like MRT as well though the second half was repetitive. Surprised no one has mentioned that yet....

Dunno I always hear people go on about how great the riding is in Bend, but it looks pretty boring to me. I don't care if the riding is easily accessible as long as it is good, nor do I care much if the nearby town is bike-friendly or if there are tons of non-bike activities. Maybe that is important if you're there with family. I'll probably ride a couple days in Bend if I'm ever nearby again - would like to check out Castle / O'leary and more stuff in Oakridge. I did like MRT as well though the second half was repetitive. Surprised no one has mentioned that yet....
    Exactly - that's what I think Bend markets itself as and I definitely agree. I live 3hrs away and like going out there for the occasional weekend. But have not loved it so much so that I'd consider moving out there. Nor would I drive from that much further away. Unless of course I had a family and was looking for a lot of activities to do.

Oakridge is amazing. Cascade Crest area and Pyramid loop is awesome. MRT is okay, as long as you don't go during a summer or early fall weekend. I thought it was a little overrated as a pure MTB trail, but rode it as part of a bikepacking trip and thought the extra weight and gear made it more fun. Haven't ridden O'leary but it's on my short list of day rides to do before I move. And I'd love to take a stab at the OTT this summer if I have the chance before moving (or at least a few sections of it).

Anywhere in montana is super overrated. Crowded, too much climbing, wildernuts, and the fucking bears!!!

Nobody goes to Moab anymore.. it's way too crowded
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    What about you mtnlion, you started this thread and travel a lot with your bike, where have you not enjoyed?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moab: too busy, a few fun trails, but the higher end stuff is "drop to flat" the blue stuff is fun on a cross bike

St George: good loops for an urban place, and good if you are hurricane and need something from "the city" (like Hawaii Poke) but other then that suicidal tendencies and the loops near that are ho hum.

18 road is small, but fun on an SS. Sarlac is a nice place to camp and ride as an out/back

and I know its sacrilege, and I have only ridden it once, 2 laps, but Oakridge was blah. fast straight trails, with tight swithcbacks. Want to go back to try again and see what I'm missing.

Hurricane (guacamole, gooseberry, little creek)
    thunder mnt
    good water rim
    Anywhere quieter/less peoplie.

This thread goes to show you... that different people like different things. It's nice we have so many damn choices.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    RE: Moab, I think it's gotten better, and some one of my favorite rides in town isn't mentioned.. so maybe we'll keep it that way.

I did get over Moab for a while, then went back and realized I'd only scratched the surface.

Re: 18 road.. Similar, I love to camp there, get up, hit a quick lap, eat, hit a decent ride, eat and have a beer, go out at night, hit a quick lap... It's different like that. Then the next day go ride Loma or LL.
    We can also do that as a day trip, so probably spoiled in that regard.

I really want to do a Sedona trip soon, but maybe I'll look at one of the other weekend-able zones before we do that now.
    Pretty much all of this^^^

Love Moab now that we've got a system, and some new trails to hit up. Agree that I was over it for about a decade, but grew back into it.

Rode Sedona trails, but not much, last season. They were fun, great scenery, but not amazing I guess.

Phil's world- probably the most overrated I've been to. Rode it all in a day, meh. I hear they are adding on though. Great if you live in the area I guess, but not worth traveling for.

18rd is great for some quick laps at sunset while camping, after riding LL all day. Can't wait till that new Palisade Plunge is ready to roll!

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Pretty much all of this^^^

Love Moab now that we've got a system, and some new trails to hit up. Agree that I was over it for about a decade, but grew back into it.

Rode Sedona trails, but not much, last season. They were fun, great scenery, but not amazing I guess.

Phil's world- probably the most overrated I've been to. Rode it all in a day, meh. I hear they are adding on though. Great if you live in the area I guess, but not worth traveling for.

18rd is great for some quick laps at sunset while camping, after riding LL all day. Can't wait till that new Palisade Plunge is ready to roll!
    Ditto on Phil’s World. It got really boring and monotonous after 30 minutes.

18rd is great for certain things but Kessel, PBR, and Prime Cut get crazy crowded. Combined with LL, Koko, Western Rim and Palisade, the area is pretty stacked.

I

Interesting thread(s). I find a thread through many posts about "Too Many People" being a detracting factor in the quality of experience. A no-brainer for me, many back east would contest this sentiment as "exclusionist" or "elitest" as a mind set.
    #VMBA

Expectation is important when you consider how disappointing an experience is. Marketing is a factor. If a club or group goes on blast to promote how amazing everything is in their area to attract users to make money, it's almost certainly not going to live up to the hype. If you happen to stumble onto a local network with out much expectation and find it to be uncrowded, quality, and offers a feeling of adventure and solitude, it will exceed expectation. Here-in lies the rub. The more a trail club or state promotes and exploits it's trail resources, the more people come, the more underwhelming the experience is going to be...mainly, it seems, due to the crowds the marketing has successfully lured to the "Best trail network in XXXXX!"

In the East (or northeast at least) it's not the trail you hear so much about that are going to get you stoked...it's the ones you don't hear about. Maybe Bent Creek or the Kingdom Trails are the best examples I know on the East Coast. Not far away is truly quality, underutilized riding. Maybe because...or maybe in spite of the throngs that flock to the place with all the signs, parking lots, food trucks and marketing hype.

The good shit has always been on the fringe in this sport. Nothing has changed. I suspect this is the reason there are 11 replies about peoples favorite places to ride, while there are 44 replies about disappointments. If people like going somewhere, the fact that not many other go there as well is an important factor. Marketeers be warned.
    Stoke.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moldyrock.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	276275  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yep, crowds are coming close to ruining Kingdom Trails. I only ride there at dawn to avoid the masses. I finished up an early AM ride there on a peak season Saturday this past summer and there was a massive line of cars backed up to park in the lot near the Tiki bar. There were even 2-3 parking attendants flagging cars in and parking them. It reminded of parking at Killington on a busy Saturday.

I also had a similar experience when I rode at Steamboat last summer. Amazing trails but the amount of riders on the trails was astonishing. We ended up bullshitting around town until late afternoon then did an awesome ride once the crowds cleared.

Funny to see all the Bend disappointments ... I honestly don’t know how it (Bend proper) ever got “on the map” in the first place, because the riding in town is really like the last Blockbuster video: it’s just a local convenience for those who don’t have the time to drive up the passes and also don’t know how to download Trailforks and Netflix. I will say, like St G and other places, the key to Bend is to use it as a rest/recovery/refueling hub to access the great riding around the Oregon Cascade passes an hour from town. And there is a lot of remote adventure riding off the passes.

And Santa Cruz is a locals spot (including a decent amount of off the map local stuff), not a destination. But if you’ve never been to the Pacific coast, have a trip planned of California national parks and other camping surfing backpacking sightseeing etc, then I’d say the on the map riding is a “must-add” to rent some bikes or throw them on the back of the wagon for your road trip. Riding in redwood forests is truly special.

But it really pains me to hear people shit on ...

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    For me Ashland was the biggest disappointment, just a whole lot of meh.
    I’m glad this place isn’t really on the map yet. I used to drive 6 hours each way just to ride weekends there, now I live less than 3 hours away and will do day trips. There are a lot of unsanctioned trails that are good fun ... for me what makes Ashland Oregon truly special is the whole experience together being greater than the sum of the parts. Like, the granite and “tech” is obviously way better in Tahoe, the forests and loam are way better in Oakridge, the oft-rutted flow and jump features are better at bike parks ... but the entire experience as a whole, including riding into such a cool quaint town at the end of Ashland proper laps, to the cheap shuttles offering 15k of vert in a day and camaraderie with old and new riding friends, plus all the off the map riding, and dining plus wine scene ... and I haven’t even mentioned Shakespeare up until this point ... it’s just a place near and dear to my heart. Not a vast expansive get-lost riding scene like Whistler/Pemby/North Van or Oakridge/Cascade Passes, but just pure fun, joy and happiness.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Oakridge was blah ... Want to go back to try again and see what I'm missing.
    Hit me up when you do, and let me know what you are looking for, and I’ll help plan your trip. There is a reason Trans Cascadia bike race is based out of there, and guys like Minaar keep coming back every year.

It’s no mega alpine terrain like Western AB, and probably our forests are not as gnarly as Western BC, but we still have some quite grand long forest descents that will boil your brake fluid and leave you with a shit eating grin from ear to ear.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Hit me up when you do, and let me know what you are looking for, and I’ll help plan your trip. There is a reason Trans Cascadia bike race is based out of there, and guys like Minaar keep coming back every year.

It’s no mega alpine terrain like Western AB, and probably our forests are not as gnarly as Western BC, but we still have some quite grand long forest descents that will boil your brake fluid and leave you with a shit eating grin from ear to ear.
    thanks, I will. Maybe it was the end of my trip, or the rain, but I want to like the place.

Did a couple laps of the Super D course in Ashland a bunch of years ago. I had fun. But I didn't get the impression there was a ton of other riding. Timewarp was under snow. The guy at AMA helped me with a brake issue on a new-to-me bike and didn't charge anything. I wouldn't hesitate to stop in there again. Definitely want to ride NUT again. Anyone ridden the other trail networks above I-5 between Ashland and Grants Pass?