Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    In the 90s it was all just "Mountain Biking". I don't really get the whole lift served, shuttle served biking scene. You've got wheels, gears and pedals. Just ride your bike ferchrissakes!

I don't get how some people don't get or are bothered by other peoples preferences of recreation.

Who. Gives. A. Fuck.

Seriously, can we all stop being such whiney little entitled cunts?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I don't get how some people don't get or are bothered by other peoples preferences of recreation.

Who. Gives. A. Fuck.

Seriously, can we all stop being such whiney little entitled cunts?
    NP. You first.
    Last edited by Tamburello Rouge; 04-02-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    A lot of people come to Marin County and are extremely disappointed. The "home" of mountain biking and all of the singletrack is illegal. In terms of expectations and reality, that may be the winner of this thread.
    yeah, Boulder is similar, everybody thinks it must be such a great mt bike town, when it's most certainly not. Super awesome hiking town, though.

Really surprised to see a mention of Crested Butte in this thread, that place is alpine biking heaven (along with Durango).

I love all of the trails I've done off the Monarch Crest, but I think it's a bit overrated (since it seems to often be rated as BEST EVAR!). But I would not call it disappointing, not in the least.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    My personality may be a bit muted, sure. But complaining about anything about Ashland makes you a bunch of notches below me, sorry bud. It put me in a damn fucking good mood riding it in June, not even the snowstorm on top mattered. I gave some hi-fives to strangers on the way down and had a big smile on my face. Can't wait to go back!
    What can I say, the trails in my backyard leave me a bit jaded when riding out of town. It was an ok stop on the way to see the eclipse and ride Black Rock, which was kick ass. And the blackberries were the finest I've ever tasted, so there's that.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I tried living in BOTH Marin and Boulder in the same year, ostensibly because I heard what great mountain biking areas they were. This was ‘92...I left Mill Valley within 6 months, and Boulder within a year...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Marin has great trails if you don’t mind riding mostly at night and poaching, and paying the occasional ticket, but overall that really sucks.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Yeah, I learned real quick when I showed up for a clandestine night ride with squealing brakes. I was given ten minutes to fix them, or go home.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

What are your disappointing destinations to ride at?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    What can I say, the trails in my backyard leave me a bit jaded when riding out of town. It was an ok stop on the way to see the eclipse and ride Black Rock, which was kick ass. And the blackberries were the finest I've ever tasted, so there's that.
    Yeah, it’s kind of unfair when your “backyard trails” consist of 2500-3000’ fall line mostly continuous descents on primo subalpine decomposing granite with big granite slabs and tech features plus old growth forests and lakes thrown in, which in and of themselves are a destination that is National Park-worthy. It kind of changes your perspective of “destinations” to ride

When I lived in Oakland my backyard trails involved jibbing off the concrete stairs at Lake Merritt (a glorified floating trash dump in an estuary off the SF Bay, that in fairness has been reasonably restored and cleaned over recent years, but still ...) and bunny hopping over used needles and broken glass ... give me a few hundred feet of smooth loam or sandstone slick rock and I’m a happy camper!

Next time you visit Oregon skip Ashland and come straight to Oakridge. Book a 3-ride shuttle that hits up the best of Hardesty Portal (Hardesty, Lawler, and Eula, in that order) for a fun 10+k of descending, then you can self shuttle or add-on Larison Rock for another 2500’ of high speed forest descending that finishes on the bank of Middle Fork Willamette River. Then drive 2 hours to session the gnar at Black Rock the next day. Beers and bike tuning on me if you are disappointed with that itinerary!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yeah, Boulder is similar, everybody thinks it must be such a great mt bike town, when it's most certainly not. Super awesome hiking town, though.

Really surprised to see a mention of Crested Butte in this thread, that place is alpine biking heaven (along with Durango).

I love all of the trails I've done off the Monarch Crest, but I think it's a bit overrated (since it seems to often be rated as BEST EVAR!). But I would not call it disappointing, not in the least.
    See, I like CB, but I don't see it as this mecca it's made out to be by some... 401 is cool, sweet views, some fun sections, and was super rad back in 1999... That said, I giggle every time I punch a 1/4 mile of wildflowers at a time headed down that trail.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Boulder has great riding NEAR it, not in and immediately adjacent.

Sourdough, Mag, Heil, Hall, etc... all get driven to most of the time.

White, Golden Gate, Apex, Chimney etc all not too far....

But I'm always appreciative of having somewhat empty trails every time I finish a ride down there.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    See, I like CB, but I don't see it as this mecca it's made out to be by some...
    Well... since it's the birthplace of Real Mountain Biking™, it deserves the moniker, IMO.

See, I like CB, but I don't see it as this mecca it's made out to be by some... 401 is cool, sweet views, some fun sections, and was super rad back in 1999... That said, I giggle every time I punch a 1/4 mile of wildflowers at a time headed down that trail.
    401 is cool, but not even in my top 5 trails in CB. As far as the rest, there's not that many areas that combine trails of the quality around CB in such a scenic and remote setting.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

Next time you visit Oregon skip Ashland and come straight to Oakridge. Book a 3-ride shuttle that hits up the best of Hardesty Portal (Hardesty, Lawler, and Eula, in that order) for a fun 10+k of descending, then you can self shuttle or add-on Larison Rock for another 2500’ of high speed forest descending that finishes on the bank of Middle Fork Willamette River. Then drive 2 hours to session the gnar at Black Rock the next day. Beers and bike tuning on me if you are disappointed with that itinerary!
    That's what the OP mentioned was over-rated, too many fast parts then with tight switchbacks in Oakridge, which sounds like Lawler. You may owe him beers!

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    401 is cool, but not even in my top 5 trails in CB. As far as the rest, there's not that many areas that combine trails of the quality around CB in such a scenic and remote setting.
    401 is decent as a loop from town with 403 thrown in at the beginning.

Paging goldenboy to the white courtesy phone! CB is WAY more than just 401. It's a very cool trail, but it's just one of many many options, from short to epic.

Boulder has great riding NEAR it, not in and immediately adjacent.

Sourdough, Mag, Heil, Hall, etc... all get driven to most of the time.

White, Golden Gate, Apex, Chimney etc all not too far....

But I'm always appreciative of having somewhat empty trails every time I finish a ride down there.
    Boulder has some good riding near it, sure; I hesitate calling it great. Scratch that, it shouldn't be called great, because it's not, it's good. But of the ones you mention, all are at least 30 minutes drive from my house. The less-than-30-minutes-away rides -- Marshall Mesa and Betasso -- are ok but that's it.

As for empty trails, I hear ya, that's why probably 75% or more of my local riding is at West Mag, because it is good riding, in the mountains, and is empty (at least the stuff I ride up there). As empty as your trails, probably.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Paging goldenboy to the white courtesy phone! CB is WAY more than just 401. It's a very cool trail, but it's just one of many many options, from short to epic.

Boulder has some good riding near it, sure; I hesitate calling it great. Scratch that, it shouldn't be called great, because it's not, it's good. But of the ones you mention, all are at least 30 minutes drive from my house. The less-than-30-minutes-away rides -- Marshall Mesa and Betasso -- are ok but that's it.

As for empty trails, I hear ya, that's why probably 75% or more of my local riding is at West Mag, because it is good riding, in the mountains, and is empty (at least the stuff I ride up there). As empty as your trails, probably.
    I made the 401 comment on purpose to get a rouse out of the CBers...

I'll hit you up next time I'm down that way with my bike and we can hit up West Mag... I didn't ride that a ton when I was down there and would love to do it again.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I made the 401 comment on purpose to get a rouse out of the CBers...

I'll hit you up next time I'm down that way with my bike and we can hit up West Mag... I didn't ride that a ton when I was down there and would love to do it again.
    Goddam high country'ers coming down and gumming up our singletrack!! I BLAME IKON!!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Goddam high country'ers coming down and gumming up our singletrack!! I BLAME IKON!!

Don't worry, soon they will choke on the abundance of oxygen and melt from the heat then retreat to their native environments...

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Don't worry, soon they will choke on the abundance of oxygen and melt from the heat then retreat to their native environments...
    Yeah - once their "native environment" dries out.

Just to warn you fuckers - when that happens, I'm gonna come to town and gum YOUR singletrack up.

Oh - and not sure how much of a a "destination" it has become, but Eagle in CO is pretty "meh" for the most part.

Eagle’s definitely not a destination... the trails are empty.

It all depends on what you ride over here. There are so many trails up high that no one knows about. The main stuff- Pool/Ice, Worlds Greatest, etc- is super fun but not on the lines of “epic” riding unless you combine a bunch of them to make a big ride.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I love West Mag, and happy to show you around there (and you kinda need someone to show you around, because it's super confusing with no signage).

I'm slow AF (on the uphill), so be warned if we do go riding.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Eagle’s definitely not a destination... the trails are empty.

It all depends on what you ride over here. There are so many trails up high that no one knows about.
    They're a bit funner than the lowland stuff... but still nothing I'd get giddy about, TBH.

The best one I've ever hit up high there was Ironedge - but it was pretty short and 1/2 of it was FS road.

If you know of any others like that, maybe PM me some details?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    NP. You first.
    I try......

It wasn't directed directly at you, at least the cunty part. that was more of a broad stroke for a lot of us.

In all seriousness though, we would do a lot better in the advocacy department if we would stop fighting among ourselves.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    <snip>
    In all seriousness though, we would do a lot better in the advocacy department if we would stop fighting among ourselves.
    You're new to planet Earth?