Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Ask me that question at the end of Fall ... I’m recovering from labrum repair this Spring so no riding until mid-Summer.

My friends in Grants Pass just got new bikes so I’ll be down there exploring. The Mountain of the Rogue stuff is small local stuff, not even worth talking about unless you live 45 mins away. But there is a lot of other stuff around the Rogue basin that’s been socked in smoke the last 2 summers that I want to check out. I also want to check out all the new stuff near Klamath Falls.

The XC riding near McLoughlin (Brown Mountain) is worth a half day if you are exploring the greater State of Jefferson and Crater Lake Area on a road trip.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    There are a lot of unsanctioned trails that are good fun ... for me what makes Ashland Oregon truly special is the whole experience together being greater than the sum of the parts. Like, the granite and “tech” is obviously way better in Tahoe, the forests and loam are way better in Oakridge, the oft-rutted flow and jump features are better at bike parks ... but the entire experience as a whole, including riding into such a cool quaint town at the end of Ashland proper laps, to the cheap shuttles offering 15k of vert in a day and camaraderie with old and new riding friends, plus all the off the map riding, and dining plus wine scene ... and I haven’t even mentioned Shakespeare up until this point ... it’s just a place near and dear to my heart. Not a vast expansive get-lost riding scene like Whistler/Pemby/North Van or Oakridge/Cascade Passes, but just pure fun, joy and happiness.
    Don't forget the nudie hot springs! First time I went with the girlfriend and she loved the quaintness of town. Second time was with a buddy and the only camping available was during some hippy/peace festival, we had a blast and stayed the weekend. Memorable place for sure and some great jump lines on big descents.

Most disappointing??

THE GREAT STATE OF ILLINOIS FROM WHENCE I HAIL

Everything west of Nebraska is fucking awesome in my book. You guys should try living in the midwest for 22 years, and all of the sudden even the Bay Area will seem like a bike riding Mecca.

Except Bend. That place sucks.
    sproing!

Is there such a thing as "disappointing" destinations? I dunno... It's all about how you ride and who you ride with. Can't say I've ever been "disappointed" on a mountain bike..
    For what it's worth, much of New England (Vermont especially) has the best riding destinations I've ever been too..

I am the farthest from being the positive chipper person on any ride, but I had fun in Santa Cruz, Fruita, Moab, Oakridge, St George and definitely Ashland. Half the problem is you guys are probably riding the wrong trails, not staying long enough to get a sense of the place, getting bad advice, etc. The other half is maybe totally wrong expectations. And going to a mecca of biking and being disappointed it's crowded is not a fucking excuse. What did you expect when you rolled up during spring break? or any other time really to a place that is well-known?

As for PC being disappointing, i ride there all summer. What's going for it is endless trails, but not much variety. I can see people being disappointed with PC but it's heaven for an XC rider (which isn't me). Only place I can think of that was 'meh' was Vernal. And I can think of two trails that were really fun there, so it wasn't a total waste of time. St George I don't consider 'meh' even though there is only about 2-3 good trails, because if you visit there you going to Gooseberry, Guacamole, Flying Monkey, Grafton, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

I’m glad this place isn’t really on the map yet. I used to drive 6 hours each way just to ride weekends there, now I live less than 3 hours away and will do day trips. There are a lot of unsanctioned trails that are good fun ... for me what makes Ashland Oregon truly special is the whole experience together being greater than the sum of the parts. Like, the granite and “tech” is obviously way better in Tahoe, the forests and loam are way better in Oakridge, the oft-rutted flow and jump features are better at bike parks ... but the entire experience as a whole, including riding into such a cool quaint town at the end of Ashland proper laps, to the cheap shuttles offering 15k of vert in a day and camaraderie with old and new riding friends, plus all the off the map riding, and dining plus wine scene ... and I haven’t even mentioned Shakespeare up until this point ... it’s just a place near and dear to my heart. Not a vast expansive get-lost riding scene like Whistler/Pemby/North Van or Oakridge/Cascade Passes, but just pure fun, joy and happiness.
    It's not like I had a bad time, just not as good as I expected. I'd maybe even hit it again if I happened to be passing through the area. Only did one lap, and the shuttle and shop crew were awesome. Being warned by more than one person to stay out of the water due to the shitflow from the local urban campers was pretty disappointing, a post ride swim would have been nice.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I am the farthest from being the positive chipper person on any ride
    You're doing it wrong.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

this thread is disappointing

you guys all must suck at riding
    what? 12 miles rolling downhill? is that a classic enduro type ride that you need?
    don't think I've been anywhere and not had a great time riding a bike

18 road will suck tomorrow, I shouldn't even bother should I?
    maybe just stay home instead of running over small children, drunk dads, and chubby moms all having a great time

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Well I think that was the point.

you guys all must suck at riding
    what? 12 miles rolling downhill? is that a classic enduro type ride that you need?
    don't think I've been anywhere and not had a great time riding a bike

18 road will suck tomorrow, I shouldn't even bother should I?
    maybe just stay home instead of running over small children, drunk dads, and chubby moms all having a great time
    This post is disappointing. I expected better from you fred.

rough crowd this morning

I think I'll just give up on being outdoors, skiing, biking
    ya know, much better to sit inside and complain
    moab sucks, sedona sucks
    no one has shit on phoenix yet, that place sucks for riding, metro area with ok trails, and no one has bagged on breck yet
    bring it on

While you could take the thread as a negative nancy sort of thing, but the inverse observation of "most disappointing destinations to ride at" is "most surprisingly awesome destinations to ride at." For example, I rode some trails in St George and Bend that were OK, but for me not specifically worth driving just to ride. However, there are trails in my local area that I think are fun as hell, and actually are worth a road trip or at least worth riding if you are here. Somewhat like SchralpMacchio's Ashland suggestion.

Also, if I lived in Bend I would have an appropriate xc bike and happily ride those just OK trails every day. These are mostly just observations relative to people's expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    You're doing it wrong.
    My personality may be a bit muted, sure. But complaining about anything about Ashland makes you a bunch of notches below me, sorry bud. It put me in a damn fucking good mood riding it in June, not even the snowstorm on top mattered. I gave some hi-fives to strangers on the way down and had a big smile on my face. Can't wait to go back!

Count me in on the St. George bandwagon. There are some great trails there, but overall, I think it's overhyped.

I also thought the sunshine coast was a bit meh. Seems like most of the great trails there are fairly secret. Which doesn't do me much good. A bit of poking around revealed a couple cool options, but I'd rather spend my time riding cool trails, not searching for them.

Everytime Ashland riding gets a poopoo on the internetz...there's one less braking bump the following summer.

If you like sucky trails, do come here and ride. Open invite to show mags around...bet you can't have a good time.

Great snow this year, though, so the very worst of the trails will be buried for quite awhile.

Every place mentioned in this thread has terrible riding.

I'd be terrible at this game. I've ridden my local trails so much that when I get to ride somewhere new I'm usually blown away regardless of the actual quality of the trail. I've been known to tell people how awesome trail x in location y is and have them come back and tell me that it was only mediocre. I guess I really just enjoy changes in scenery?

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post
    Everytime Ashland riding gets a poopoo on the internetz...there's one less braking bump the following summer.

If you like sucky trails, do come here and ride. Open invite to show mags around...bet you can't have a good time.

Great snow this year, though, so the very worst of the trails will be buried for quite awhile.

Every place mentioned in this thread has terrible riding.
    I haven't ridden from the tippy-top of Mt Ashland, I've heard it's one of the worst trails in Oregon.

Also, I forgot to mention Phils World is super fun, some one else didn't like that either. It's unique and I like unique. I had a heavy-ish Giant reign, on a lightweight 29er I'd bet it's better since it's so smooth. Worth a stop on your way to somewhere else (we were going to telluride) but not a destination in itself.

no one has shit on phoenix yet, that place sucks for riding, metro area with ok trails
    I’m assuming you meant this to be tongue in cheek, but I’ll bite... been pretty damn impressed with the riding here and only just scratched the surface. Within about a 30 minute radius you can ride downhill, cross, “enduro” (maybe the most retarded industry created rhetoric to date but I’ll save it) and by getting out early I haven’t encountered any experience diminishing crowds.

From the videos I’ve seen of Sedona, I don’t know how anyone could be disappointed with the place. Sure, maybe if you’re there during dirtfest or whatever the fuck it is you’re gunna have to deal with crowds, but the quality of trails and terrain look pretty sweet to me. Stoked to get up there.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Anything in California, ok really I mean in and around San Diego and Orange County. To be honest, I've never expected much of the riding there, happy just to mix surfing with bike fitness. I think of Laguna as a novelty but it gets old QUICK.
    Yeah, might not want to make a conclusion for the entire state of California based on the riding in San Diego, considering Tahoe / Downieville is about a 9-10 hour drive north. lol... :-)

There's a lot of stuff in Santa Cruz that most are not aware of. Miraculously, many of the trails haven't been strava tagged yet. But I agree it's a bit overrated still.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I’m assuming you meant this to be tongue in cheek, but I’ll bite... been pretty damn impressed with the riding here and only just scratched the surface. Within about a 30 minute radius you can ride downhill, cross, “enduro” (maybe the most retarded industry created rhetoric to date but I’ll save it) and by getting out early I haven’t encountered any experience diminishing crowds.

From the videos I’ve seen of Sedona, I don’t know how anyone could be disappointed with the place. Sure, maybe if you’re there during dirtfest or whatever the fuck it is you’re gunna have to deal with crowds, but the quality of trails and terrain look pretty sweet to me. Stoked to get up there.
    yeah metro phoenix................. too much 3 ft wide bulldozer built single track
    I hate the place so much I go stay with my very favoirte aunt for two weeks every winter
    lot's of variety of riding for sure

so speaking of disappointing places to ride, I avoided the over hyped hawes trail system for years
    holy shit, that place is the bomb, thought it was just hype, boy was I stupid, one of the best places to ride in metro phoenix

and on another note I'd like to find some mtn biker babe to take a road trip to pisgah national forest with
    I'm taking applications

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    ........... “enduro” (maybe the most retarded industry created rhetoric to date but I’ll save it) ......
    Sure, I'll bite. I steadfastly disagree with your position. Enduro is a type of mountain bike racing. The term was co-opted by the industry and for a couple years they definitely over labeled stuff with it. It was the MTBR crowd and spandex wearing XC folks hating and mocking the term, for seemingly no reason other than their own ignorance. For me, it's become a very valuable qualifier. For example, I prefer enduro style riding. Take my time slogging up to the top, then point downhill and hopefully find some steep rowdy extended fast fun as a reward for my efforts. Repeat if possible. It explains things to another rider 1000x better than "Freeride" or "All Mountain".

But I digress. Back to the scheduled bashing of everyone's favorite local trail system.
    I'd say anything within 30 minutes drive of downtown Boulder or Golden. If the typical advice is that I should only ever ride there on weekday mornings to avoid crowds, it's a disappointing trail.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    But I digress. Back to the scheduled bashing of everyone's favorite local trail system.
    I'd say anything within 30 minutes drive of downtown Boulder or Golden. If the typical advice is that I should only ever ride there on weekday mornings to avoid crowds, it's a disappointing trail.
    Come on now: White Ranch, Hall Ranch, Left Hand OHV. Tell me those three are disappointing.

BTW, when are you moving out east?

Went to Moab for the weekend, expecting the worst. I was certain that I’d be posting in this thread about van-life front-rangers and hordes of crowds.

But I was wrong.

Found a new, legal, area to camp close to trails and sick views and NO ONE camped nearby all.

Tons of bros on Bull Run but the rest of our loops were pretty quiet.

Moab is still cool.

Am in in the wrong thread?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

[QUOTE=
    I'd say anything within 30 minutes drive of downtown Boulder or Golden. If the typical advice is that I should only ever ride there on weekday mornings to avoid crowds, it's a disappointing trail.[/QUOTE]

This isn’t a bashing of everyone’s local trail it’s an unfortunate reality of the front range now. The trails you’re taking about are fun and well built, but if you want the experience of 10yrs ago then early weekdays are the only way to find the solitude to enjoy these trails. If that’s what you’re looking for out of a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Come on now: White Ranch, Hall Ranch, Left Hand OHV. Tell me those three are disappointing.

BTW, when are you moving out east?
    Haha. Longhorn at WR is definitely fun. Fear of crowds kept me from ever checking out Hall. LHOHV is definitely dope. Potential for 10000x more awesome trails out there too!
    But, the best trail in the whole area is a little bit further from Bolder at Crosier Mtn. Seriously, three awesome downhill options, not including the sick 1/2 mile drop from the summit. The Garden Gate Trail is hands down the favorite trail I rode in CO. Hit me up for beta on a super secret totally legal shuttle to cut out miles of paved climbing and about 800' of vertical, plus adding a super fun jeep trail downhill. Or just ride the road!

We got to VA about 6 weeks ago. Lots of exploring and trail building left to do. But bike park season is ramping up. And a bit more cool weather to hit Pisgah.
    However many are in a shit ton.