Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Torch & Twang

Torch & Twang

Love me some good twangy county music. Steel, Resophonic Steel and slide guitar, fiddle, mandolin, banjo - bring it on!

Torch:

Twang:

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

This might be the droid you're looking for - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-country-music

But your title is way better.

I just discovered Colter Wall. That guy is fantastic. I guess he falls under "Twang".

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Love me some good twangy county music. Steel, Resophonic Steel and slide guitar, fiddle, mandolin, banjo - bring it on!

Torch:

Twang:

We're just going to have to disagree.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

It's previously been demonstrated that riser has a highly-developed sense of twang.

This is as close as I will ever come to liking something close to what you are into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Djx6iZ70g
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The Earls of Leicester featuring the great Jerry Douglas on Dobro, they play Flatt and Scruggs tunes, the fiddler is the son of one of the originals, playing his dad's fiddle

Ricky Scaggs and Kentucky Thunder, the greatest bluegrass band in the world. As a guitar player the technical skill of bluegrass players amazes me but the playing on this cut stands out (Cody Kilby, who's no longer with the band)

If you prefer your twang electric, the King of the Telecaster, Bill Kirchen (previously of Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen), still kicking ass at age 70. That's not Bill Kirchen in the picture.

Or if you prefer it old school, Don Rich on Buckaroo, Buck Owens' guitar player
    Last edited by old goat; 03-26-2019 at 05:54 PM.

As far as Torch goes--the saddest heartbreak song I know -because it's autobiographical The harmonica solo gets me every time (really).

If you don't mind LA country, a hopeful love song, with killer pedal steel and honky tonk piano

I'm big on alt-country gothic too

Bluegrass is crazy amazing. It is true Americana born in Appalachia.

I couldn't find the Michelle Shocked version of "The L&N Don't Stop Here Anymore" but if you can find it give it a listen - wonderful!

I could drown in this man's voice. Oh that timbre. More a love song than a torch but still awesome.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Not exactly country but outstanding pedal steel, Jerry Garcia. I've wanted to learn pedal steel for a long time but after an abortive attempt to learn Dobro past the age of 60 I realized pedal steel wasn't going to happen. Apparently the thing it's most similar to is flying a helicopter. I might give the Dobro another shot though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    This might be the droid you're looking for - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-country-music

But your title is way better.

I just discovered Colter Wall. That guy is fantastic. I guess he falls under "Twang".
    Little Twang/little Bluegrass. Actually I would say this is true bluegrass as it is along the lines of a old Scottish ballad which is the root of where Bluegrass came from.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not exactly country but outstanding pedal steel, Jerry Garcia. I've wanted to learn pedal steel for a long time but after an abortive attempt to learn Dobro past the age of 60 I realized pedal steel wasn't going to happen. Apparently the thing it's most similar to is flying a helicopter. I might give the Dobro another shot though.
    You got me with the Dobro - almost included on my list of instruments. D'oh!

Dobro, resonator steel--same thing
    As far the Appalachian mountain roots of bluegrass Laurie Lewis and Tom Rozum, Berkeley hillbillies, do a nice job of it as a duo. We saw them one summer at High Camp at Squaw. Maybe 20 people. We helped them get their instruments down the tram. I can't find a video of them doing traditional stuff. Mostly they do bluegrass and newgrass with a bigger band

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It's previously been demonstrated that riser has a highly-developed sense of twang.
    Snork. Country music gives me the hives.

Forget newgrass. I like slamgrass.

How ‘bout Gangstagrass?

Saw them last fall. Great show

Greensky! I prefer my bluegrass kinda dark
    https://youtu.be/2Xb2SwkmPCk
    https://youtu.be/uFSb0PZyOqI

Dunno if this applies but i fkn digit

https://youtu.be/1gX1EP6mG-E
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Dobro, resonator steel--same thing

Almost but not quite.

What's the difference between a dobro and an electric slide guitar? Are they the same tuning?

To be specific, Dobro is a brand most commonly associated with acoustic resonator guitars — not all resonator guitars are Dobros, but most Dobros are acoustic resonator guitars (with the exception being electric lap steel guitars produced by that company). The Dobro brand has been owned by Gibson since the mid-90s.

That being said, a resonator can be played with or without a slide, and can be played in standard tuning or in any of a number of alternate tunings, just like any other guitar. For an example of a resonator being played like a traditional acoustic guitar, listen to the opening riff of “Heaven Beside You” by Alice in Chains.

As far as “electric slide guitar,” that depends on the type of instrument in particular to which you are referring. Are you referring to a standard electric guitar played with a slide? Are you referring to an electric lap steel? A pedal steel?

Any of these instruments can be played in any of a number of tunings, but it is commonplace to utilize open tunings when playing with a slide, as all of the notes being utilized at a given moment in time will likely be (a) on parallel strings at the same fret or (b) open strings. This makes open tunings an obvious choice for slide playing.

In short, a Dobro can either be played like a traditional acoustic guitar (IE: fretted with the fingers) or with a slide, whereas lap steel and pedal steel-type guitars are exclusively designed to be played with a slide/bar. Any of these instruments can be played with any desired tuning in theory (physical limitations aside), but are typically tuned to open tunings when a slide is utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Greensky! I prefer my bluegrass kinda dark
    https://youtu.be/2Xb2SwkmPCk
    https://youtu.be/uFSb0PZyOqI

Dunno if this applies but i fkn digit

https://youtu.be/1gX1EP6mG-E
    The first one yes. The second one, a great song BTW (and interesting video. LOL!) is skirting the edges. According to Wikipedia:

In bluegrass, as in some forms of jazz, one or more instruments each takes its turn playing the melody and improvising around it, while the others perform accompaniment; this is especially typified in tunes called breakdowns.[10] This is in contrast to old-time music, in which all instruments play the melody together or one instrument carries the lead throughout while the others provide accompaniment.[10] Breakdowns are often characterized by rapid tempos and unusual instrumental dexterity and sometimes by complex chord changes.[11]

There are three major subgenres of bluegrass. Traditional bluegrass has musicians playing folk songs, tunes with traditional chord progressions, and using only acoustic instruments, with an example being Bill Monroe. Progressive bluegrass groups may use electric instruments and import songs from other genres, particularly rock & roll. Examples include Cadillac Sky and Bearfoot. Another subgenre, bluegrass gospel, uses Christian lyrics, soulful three- or four-part harmony singing, and sometimes the playing of instrumentals. A newer development in the bluegrass world is Neo-traditional bluegrass; exemplified by bands such as The Grascals and Mountain Heart; bands from this subgenre typically have more than one lead singer. Bluegrass music has attracted a diverse following worldwide.

If yer gonna bring in Greensky, May as well include lil smokies, their opening act for this years tour

These guys put on a great show

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    If yer gonna bring in Greensky, May as well include lil smokies, their opening act for this years tour

These guys put on a great show
    Oh yeah thats good
    Bunny Don't Surf

I've seen this guys play here in W2 - I thought they were amazing. That banjo player is missing half of his left hand he he still plays like a madman.

Wikipedia classifies Mountain Heart as Neo-traditional bluegrass. Seems like a reach to me to put them in that genre. Still, I like them and they put on a hell of a show. Not sure where else you'd put them genre-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    The first one yes. The second one, a great song BTW (and interesting video. LOL!) is skirting the edges. According to Wikipedia:

In bluegrass, as in some forms of jazz, one or more instruments each takes its turn playing the melody and improvising around it, while the others perform accompaniment; this is especially typified in tunes called breakdowns.[10] This is in contrast to old-time music, in which all instruments play the melody together or one instrument carries the lead throughout while the others provide accompaniment.[10] Breakdowns are often characterized by rapid tempos and unusual instrumental dexterity and sometimes by complex chord changes.[11]

There are three major subgenres of bluegrass. Traditional bluegrass has musicians playing folk songs, tunes with traditional chord progressions, and using only acoustic instruments, with an example being Bill Monroe. Progressive bluegrass groups may use electric instruments and import songs from other genres, particularly rock & roll. Examples include Cadillac Sky and Bearfoot. Another subgenre, bluegrass gospel, uses Christian lyrics, soulful three- or four-part harmony singing, and sometimes the playing of instrumentals. A newer development in the bluegrass world is Neo-traditional bluegrass; exemplified by bands such as The Grascals and Mountain Heart; bands from this subgenre typically have more than one lead singer. Bluegrass music has attracted a diverse following worldwide.
    Im way fkn high right now and love some me some greensky but kinda agree they have bg roots but are prolly beyond newgrass into futuregrass.

I copyright that term!

Oh and if yer talken about OCMS they got some grass en um but are hard to categorize. Ive been going deep down the old timey folksey bluegrassy rabbit hole...

https://youtu.be/0dwTDq1LG1U
    Bunny Don't Surf

Anybody notice newgrass = wooky?
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Im way fkn high right now and love some me some greensky but kinda agree they have bg roots but are prolly beyond newgrass into futuregrass.

I copyright that term!

Oh and if yer talken about OCMS they got some grass en um but are hard to categorize. Ive been going deep down the old timey folksey bluegrassy rabbit hole...

Wisconsin!

The seldom scene

Re dobros and other brands of resonators, they come in round neck and square neck. Round necks are tuned and held like ordinary acoustic guitars. They may be played with slide or fretted. The National Steel associated with delta blues is a round back.

Square necks are tuned higher, and often with the thinner 3 strings the same pitch as the thicker. The square neck holds the increased tension. They are held horizontally and face up and can only be played with steel, as the strings are too far off the feet board tofeet. This style is associated with bluegrass..

Aren't you glad you know this?