Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What are your favorite destinations to ride at?

I'm in Toronto On, and drive west ~twice a year for riding. (if anyone is ever in Southern Ontario and wants info on trails, I'd be happy to oblige)

I typically camp or stay at cheap motels to help keep costs down. I don't mind the drive and love road tripping across the US.

My riding style closer to home is smooth fast and flowy but I love the rocky technical stuff the desert offers. And the views. And the weather. The flora and fauna. Etc

Generally go out to Grand Junction for a few days there and Fruita, then over to Moab for a few or several days, then reluctantly return. Sometime the gf comes, and we'll add hiking to the agenda, sometimes I'm solo. (which is an awesome way to travel btw lol. No offense gf)

Curious if others have favorite riding areas to share.

Sedona Arizona is probably an obvious one to add to the list.

Where do you like to travel to, specifically for mountain biking?

Park? Angel Fire

Trail: If you're going to hit Sedona, then hit Flagstaff as well. Nice thing about those two is you can decide day to day based on weather.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Gotta do my usual Stokesville plug. It's in the middle of nowhere, the only nearby amenity being a small, ratty gas station with a surprisingly good beer selection, but mediocre food. I think that limits it as a serious destination. But if you don't mind camping, you can plop yourself into the middle of lots of really good riding.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Is there a specific time of year you're asking about?

Obviously for summer, BC is where its at, anywhere in BC really. For interior destinations, Fernie of course has a big trail riding scene. Revelstoke is awesome...and I kind of like to say, each BC town has its 'flavour' of riding, Revelstoke has ALL flavours. And if you make it as far as Revelstoke, then you MUST hit up Silverstar bike park, the place is just so much fun. Even if you don't ride park, you have to give Silverstar a go, so well designed, low consequence, low pressure from crowds and will put a smile on your face. And then there's Golden, Nelson, Rossland................

In the US, Oregon (drier and hotter than BC) has so much great and beautiful riding and there's already threads on specific OR spots. WA is amazing too.

Cooler weather months: Tucson, Phoenix, various SoCal spots

In between months: St George/Hurricane, Sedona, Prescott, Moab

Hotter months: Sierras (Kernville, Tahoe, Downieville), high country Colorado (Durango, CB, others), Montana (Bozeman, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Gotta do my usual Stokesville plug. It's in the middle of nowhere, the only nearby amenity being a small, ratty gas station with a surprisingly good beer selection, but mediocre food. I think that limits it as a serious destination. But if you don't mind camping, you can plop yourself into the middle of lots of really good riding.
    Stokesville is so good, and so empty.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Park? Angel Fire

Trail: If you're going to hit Sedona, then hit Flagstaff as well. Nice thing about those two is you can decide day to day based on weather.
    Thank you. Trail but gotdamn AngelFire looks incredible.

Cool looks awesome, and is actually called Stokesville. Thank you, that's a super easy drive from here.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Is there a specific time of year you're asking about?

Obviously for summer, BC is where its at, anywhere in BC really. For interior destinations, Fernie of course has a big trail riding scene. Revelstoke is awesome...and I kind of like to say, each BC town has its 'flavour' of riding, Revelstoke has ALL flavours. And if you make it as far as Revelstoke, then you MUST hit up Silverstar bike park, the place is just so much fun. Even if you don't ride park, you have to give Silverstar a go, so well designed, low consequence, low pressure from crowds and will put a smile on your face. And then there's Golden, Nelson, Rossland................

In the US, Oregon (drier and hotter than BC) has so much great and beautiful riding and there's already threads on specific OR spots. WA is amazing too.
    Generally anytime between spring and late fall. I've had the blinders on in regards to BC as I have a lot of family there and AB that will be saved for different (more planning and logistics, probably year or to out from that one)

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Cooler weather months: Tucson, Phoenix, various SoCal spots

In between months: St George/Hurricane, Sedona, Prescott, Moab

Hotter months: Sierras (Kernville, Tahoe, Downieville), high country Colorado (Durango, CB, others), Montana (Bozeman, etc)
    Greatly appreciated.

If you want a "shorter" drive, don't sleep on Brevard and Asheville. Talk about a great area with SUPER fun riding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrevardMarch19-Day2-3.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	276024

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrevardMarch19-Day2-5.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	276025

Planet Earth is hands down my favorite, but I am open to other riding areas!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Second to Stokesville. No crowds, so many trails you'll have all to yourself. Flow trails, technical descents, backcountry XC, it is all there.

So much good riding out there. If you're talking summer/early fall and you like alpine adventure riding, between Sun Valley, Teton Valley and SW Montana there's just a lifetime worth of uncrowded riding to do. I keep traveling to ride and just appreciate our home ground more and more each year.

I'm not sure I'll ever go back but when I worked in alaska for the summer I couldn't wait to road trip out of there and bike the whole way down thru canada. Whitehorse, c carcross, Smithers, Burns Lake, Fort williams.. all have rad biking and make for an epic road trip.. not to mention the rest of southern BC.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Vermont. From "vacation days" at Kingdom Trails, to technical times at Ascunty and Stowe. Best part - you can ride for miles without seeing ANYONE.

Virginia?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Durango never gets enough love. Some of the best alpine riding anywhere, great stuff close to town, plus Phil's world isn't that far...

What are your favorite destinations to ride at?

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Virginia?
    Yep

I’m biased because it’s only an hour from me. It’s legitimately good riding with plenty of elevation and long climbs/descents. Certainly worth traveling a few hours for, but not sure I’d drive cross country specifically to ride there unless it was part of a bigger southeastern ride trip that included Asheville.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Durango never gets enough love. Some of the best alpine riding anywhere, great stuff close to town, plus Phil's world isn't that far...
    The engineer mtn trail descent to the bottom of coal bank pass is one of the best descents I've ever really done. 5 miles of the flowiest technical riding.

In my experience Virginia has some of the best adventure type riding on the east coast. Excessive tech. Hundreds upon hundreds of miles of trail that require fitness and bike skills to enjoy. In the past I would make regular trips down to western North Carolina to ride in the spring. We would stop twice in Virginia. Once at Front Royal and once at Douthat State Park. At the end of the trip, those rides would stand out as the most challenging, least used, and beautiful of the trip. Stoney Run at Douthat? Insane Rododendren tunnel, red shale single track with lime green moss creeping on the edges of the benched single track hanging on the side of a steep side hill for what...5 miles. This after the most amazing mile or two of dragons back rolling Virginia ridge ride. Love that route.

Tons of awesome places to ride, but Nelson, BC is the place I make a point of getting back to as often as I can.

And whistler, of course. But that's different.

I figured since I posted in the disappointing destinations thread I should post here to balance it out.

I would do a Montana tour late summer. Aim for that window of post-smoke pre-snow. Either a Bozeman/Helena combination or a Missoula/Whitefish. That or you could take a longer time and hit all four. Make a trip of all the great alpine ride epics. Looks like Bozeman is about the same distance as Moab.

For a closer, shorter trip I would say southern Indiana. I know it sounds crazy but you can make a great trip out of the Brown County trail system and some of the more rugged backcountry rides in the area. Best as a fall/spring destination.
    It sucks to suck.

Never end a sentence with a preposition.

Just sayin
    . . .

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Hijack. I have ridden in Sedona before in April a few years ago. Cold mornings and good by afternoon. How is September down there? Hot as fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Hijack. I have ridden in Sedona before in April a few years ago. Cold mornings and good by afternoon. How is September down there? Hot as fuck?
    I only moved down here in October, but even that was pretty hot some days. So far January has been my favorite month to ride in Sedona. Flagstaff or Prescott would probably be better for September riding
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    In my experience Virginia has some of the best adventure type riding on the east coast. Excessive tech. Hundreds upon hundreds of miles of trail that require fitness and bike skills to enjoy. In the past I would make regular trips down to western North Carolina to ride in the spring. We would stop twice in Virginia. Once at Front Royal and once at Douthat State Park. At the end of the trip, those rides would stand out as the most challenging, least used, and beautiful of the trip. Stoney Run at Douthat? Insane Rododendren tunnel, red shale single track with lime green moss creeping on the edges of the benched single track hanging on the side of a steep side hill for what...5 miles. This after the most amazing mile or two of dragons back rolling Virginia ridge ride. Love that route.
    That sounds rad. Some day I will make it out that way to ride...

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Indiana. rugged backcountry
    Those are some words I'd never expect to see mentioned together.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Start or end of Sept? Towards the end things should start to cool down a bit and you might score some good temps with seasonable variability. If not, just head up the hill to Flagstaff.

The climb is Salt Stump to Middle Mountain trail. Then MM to Stony Run. WaHoo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc8EY2MI_Iw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heL0o6Cl9Cw