Thread: safety reminder

safety reminder

Check your gear and if you have a tow line attached to your person be sure it has a quick release or a knife close at hand.

We had a local fatality recently, an experienced kayaker got pinned on a submerged log and in spite of exiting the boat her tow line became ensnared on the log.

Stay safe.
    Last edited by SB; 03-25-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    watch out for snakes

safety reminder

When we were practicing self-extrication last summer, only one person wearing a paddling vest without a zipper was able to shrug it off before running out of air. Anyone wearing a rescue pfd with full front zipper easily got free of the entanglement. Paddling pfd with a side zip wasn’t as easy, but doable compared to the pull-overs. If you are due for a new pfd, try and get one with a zipper.
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 03-25-2019 at 10:11 AM.

All the folks running the Bulkley on their pool toys are not wearing PFD's so not a problem up here BCMH !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Heh. I get shivers remembering some of the large creeks and rivers we would run back in my younger days, at high water with only an innertube and swim trunks. Our invincibility was matched only by our stupidity.

were you doing SAR exercises ?

the SAR guy was telling us about a teenager who got sucked under a logjam told her rescuers it was a good thing she wasnt wearing a PFD or she might have been hung up and they should move that log jam

BTW I've seen a whistle on the end of a zipper pull catch the water and completely unzip the PFD in fast moving water when my kid was playing a gnarly wave

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Heh. I get shivers remembering some of the large creeks and rivers we would run back in my younger days, at high water with only an innertube and swim trunks. Our invincibility was matched only by our stupidity.
    Same. We made it a point to aim for troughs and holes. We thought it was hilarious when hole would release the tube and we'd get sling shotted out. When we went up to the mouth of kern canyon for a graduation run, we came all out pretty bruised and shell shocked enough that we stopped the stupidity

Yup, swiftwarer re-cert on the Clearwater last summer. That river is so fun, training or playing.

We discussed the whistle attachment on the ice re-cert this past week, and yup, best not to attach the whistle to the zipper, and try and trim or otherwise tuck in all loose straps, zipper lanyards and the like wherever possible to prevent entanglement, etc. Some of the whistles being handed out now by the training orgs are quite low profile, while still having the blast of the old fox40’s.

yeah Clearwater might be my favorite river,

It was a low profile whistle but junior was getting tumbled/pummeled on a very long ride in a hole on the upper Quesnel

I hate working on ice suits they are stiff unwieldy and they weigh a ton

I do all the drysuit repair work for Raven Rescue so I fix & pressure test all the abused equipment the FD's and SAR orgs send in

Far as a know I have always found the holes but if you send in suits for service PLEEEZ TRY to pinpoint the leak, DON'T just say they leak

One of the instructor said " if you give a fire fighter 2 ball bearings he will break one and lose the other"

I lost a good friend that borrowed a kayak from someone and got entrapped and couldn't pull the skirt. It's always good to go over the routines, be that snow, or liquid water.