Has anyone ever made bikepacking bags?

I have a really nice sewing machine that shouldn't have any trouble with outdoor fabric. I also have a bit of sewing skills but I've never worked with this stuff and it has to be ordered online probably and I dont know what kind of thread to use or how to deal with seam tape. Or if I should.

My steel honzo has a pretty small triangle. I'd like to start with a frame bag.

Seems simple enough! Suggestions?

someone here had recs for $15 framebags from amazon, they are, imo, decent enough and better than my sewing skills. seattle fabrics used to have thread and seam tape; it wasn't cheap. It's also a pita. I found for my "custom" projects making your own patterns with posterboard useful.

check the forums at www.bikepacking.net they had a pretty good DIY section the last time I looked.

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/diy...n-gear-(myog)/

Never tried, but this woman used to make them here, then moved to SLC. Good writeup on her blog here.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Thanks.

My honzo is steel so it has the tiny triangle so I doubt I could find something not custom.

It's fun to DIY!

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Seems simple enough! Suggestions?
    if you wanted to make " something " for fun that might be fun

but practically speaking its probably cheaper to just let one of my people make it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you have a company nearby that makes outdoor clothing or gear like bags and tents they may have end cuts and scraps you can get cheap rather than buying new. I'd think you'll appreciate taped seams and good zippers when things are wet and sloppy, I know I miss them on my inexpensive bags.

I had never used a sewing machine, borrowed one from a friend a couple of years ago and made a custom frame bag, it was pretty easy.

I used http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/how-...mebag-krampus/ as a guide and made some changes; didn't do the huge velcro over the top tube, I used velcro for closure instead of a zipper, and added an internal pocket from an old backpack.

Mine held up fine for the AZT and a handful of other trips and was still going strong when I sold the bike last fall.