Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    It’s burning on my friend’s place up Little Buffalo.
    Damn that sucks. Wind seems to be calming, hopefully they can get a handle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Damn that sucks. Wind seems to be calming, hopefully they can get a handle on it.
    It’s wild to sit on my front porch and watch the helicopters I can hear on Flightradar24. They’re running back and forth between Cox Lake and the hillside above her place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0369.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	331727

Today from the EB 202 - not mine

Haven’t seen any official updates today but it’s gotta be pushing 25k acres by now. Fountain Hills and Apache Junction are lucky the wind is blowing from the SW.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

Name:	IMG_0369.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	331727

Today from the EB 202 - not mine

Haven’t seen any official updates today but it’s gotta be pushing 25k acres by now. Fountain Hills and Apache Junction are lucky the wind is blowing from the SW.
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/
    - search term Arizona.
    - https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6773/

https://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/predictiv...ion_Report.htm

@Meadow Skipper- I heard that ROSS was supposed to be replaced this year with a cloud based system that is a complete shitshow. Lots of bugs. It apparently can't track timeouts for resources that are released and reassigned, it doesn't do a good job of understanding staging/preposition.

Have you heard anything similar? Sounds like it is causing some major issues that are going be compounded if things get busy this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    @Meadow Skipper- I heard that ROSS was supposed to be replaced this year with a cloud based system that is a complete shitshow. Lots of bugs. It apparently can't track timeouts for resources that are released and reassigned, it doesn't do a good job of understanding staging/preposition.

Have you heard anything similar? Sounds like it is causing some major issues that are going be compounded if things get busy this summer.
    I’m out of the game, but there’s a FB page called Wildfire Dispatchers Rock that has those complaints. But ROSS was a complete shitshow when it first spooked up...and for a while afterwards. I remember dispatchers keeping the old card system as backup for a year or two after ROSS went online.

IME every government-created application sucked bad, from payroll and travel through to land-management data systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I’m out of the game, but there’s a FB page called Wildfire Dispatchers Rock that has those complaints. But ROSS was a complete shitshow when it first spooked up...and for a while afterwards. I remember dispatchers keeping the old card system as backup for a year or two after ROSS went online.

IME every government-created application sucked bad, from payroll and travel through to land-management data systems.
    Gotcha. Seems like it is going to be a very interesting year. SW is really dry, dispatch issues and Covid-19

2019 Wildfire Season

Already a few fires in CA, including one in the calaveras county foothills north of cooperopolis.

Saw this at the airport today. Ready and waiting

Name:	IMG_3558.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	263.3 KB 
ID:	331876
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 06-17-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks for those links MS. I remember following the Woodbury fire on that site last year but forgot about it.

Bush fire east of Phoenix now at 90,000 acres and appears to have traveled over the ridge line of the 4 peaks area. Hope they can save Tonto Basin/Pumpkin Center

Not a good start to the fire season for AZ.. Magnum fire up north, Bush fire central, Bighorn fire south in link below
    https://twitter.com/Weather_West/sta...094003200?s=20
    https://twitter.com/NOAASatellitePA/...980971520?s=20

Another fire (16,000 acres) at Mt Lemmon in Tucson. Bighorn fire threatening Mt Lemmon Ski Valley and adjacent town.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6741/

Wow! A lot happening in AZ.

Yep. New system is IROC but its tied to a few other programs that aren't great. Nothing but issues... some dispatches are back to using the card system right now

Bush fire @ 114,000 acres

Cool footy of the Mt. Lemmon fire. The time lapse around 0:35 of the hotshot buggies showing up and the crew clearing by the structures then burning out is amazing.

^Wow, very cool perspective. When the fire closes in so they wear masks for the smoke or inhale all that shit?

Bush fire over 150,000 acres

Not much masks, lots of smoke inhaling. Masks that are effective against smoke restrict breathing and movement, they’re just not practical for people on the line. Shift length and grime are factors too. If it’s worse than usual people will tie a bandanna bandito-style or put on a 3M kind of mask. Respiratory problems are kind of common among wildland types.

Who gets to start the 2020 thread? Person whose area is first threatened?

Hoping for a mild season in N Cal. We had late rain, now we just need some rain early fall. I better go buy a generator (thanks PGE).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sweet vid meadowskipper, I ran a drip torch around summer haven in 2003. My first time over ringing a house with fire and leaving. If I remember correctly the south side of mt Lemmon burned in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    If I remember correctly the south side of mt Lemmon burned in 2002.
    If my rememberer is working right, I believe Mt. Lemmon burned in the 90s too. Some kind of trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post

From that FB group I mentioned.

Name:	A7168C83-493A-46D5-AC22-0F8BF2753929.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	332889

2019 Wildfire Season

Some photos I was able to take from above Mt Lemon (site of the Bighorn fire) near Tucson today.

Pretty amazing work by the crews to save the ski area and adjacent town.

Name:	IMG_0496.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	333785

Name:	IMG_0498.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	333786

The #NumbersFire near South Lake Tahoe, California has burned an astonishing 20,500 acres after only starting less than 48 hours ago. There are some evacuation orders in place as firefighters from federal, state, and local agencies work to control the 0% contained blaze.

Find more information using our Wildfire Map, built with True North Gear: https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org...a/numbers-fire

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

There’s a 2020 wildfire season thread now. Just sayin’.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ildfire-Season

There’s a 2020 wildfire season thread now. Just sayin’.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ildfire-Season
    And the America Burning thread for urban fires.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang