Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    and Washington gets in the game early:

FIRST MAJOR FIRE IN WASHINGTON: The 243 Command Fire popped up a couple days ago, and grew exponentially since. The fire size is currently around 19,000 acres, fueled by gusty winds and dry fuels, and is located 32 miles NE of Yakima, WA. There were some evacuations and the fire is 25% contained at this time.

More information is available at https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org...n/command-fire. PC: The Spokesman-Review
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    NOAA is predicting the Pacific Northwest, and particularly Western Washington, will likely have a dangerous wildfire season.

‘It makes me nervous,’ Whatcom fire chief says after NOAA spring forecast released

Start stocking up on the eye drops and particulate masks, and if you haven’t installed an air filter or air conditioner yet, it may be time to start saving up — the Pacific Northwest wildfire season could be a doozy.

Following on the heels of two historically bad fire seasons in 2017 and 2018, conditions could be ripe for wildfires before the summer even arrives, according to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s 2019 U.S. flood and climate outlook for spring 2019 released Thursday.

According to that outlook, most of the Pacific Northwest, and particularly Western Washington, is expected to be warmer and drier than normal in April and May, meaning trees and grasses in the area could already be dangerously dry by the time summer’s heat arrives.

“It makes me nervous,” Whatcom County Fire District 1 Chief Mel Blankers told The Bellingham Herald. “Things are already dry. We had that long cold snap that lasted so long with the cold winds, and it dried everything out. Even now, we’re seeing people cleaning up things and fires getting out of control.”

NOAA maps show there is a 40 percent to 50 percent chance that Western Washington will have an unusually dry spring, meaning precipitation likely will be in the bottom third of what the region saw between 1981 and 2010.

Meanwhile, NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a 50 percent to 60 percent possibility Western Washington will see unusually warm spring temperatures, again meaning average temperatures likely will be in the top third of what the region saw between 1981 and 2010.

It all adds up to potentially dangerous conditions before summer arrives and a potentially difficult wildfire season for firefighters.

“When you get a fire that really labor intensive, you need a lot of people,” Blankers said. “That’s not something we have, especially during the day, when our volunteers are working other jobs.

“As we get busier days with fires, I worry about it burning guys out. These guys have families and lives outside of here, and they’ve still got to do all that, but it is physically and mentally exhausting when you have busy summers.”

Fortunately, Blankers said the area hasn’t seen many fires larger than 20 or 30 acres in recent years, though it’s certainly seen its share of smaller burns.

The county also has definitely felt the impact of smoke from large fires elsewhere in the region the past two summers.

British Columbia set a record with more than 3 million acres burned in 2017 only to surpass that record with more than 3.2 million acres burned last summer. Thick smoke drifted over the border both years. But smoke also came from fires in Eastern Washington, Oregon and even California, forcing many Whatcom residents inside for large parts of the summer.

well if those maps are any indication of the predictions being right/wrong, im going with dont worry. They have the entire east coast in 80% warmer than normal between april and june. Nope...we been lower than normal for most of that time, if not all of it. Same goes for precip. They show NY as "normal" and its been raining like non stop.

Was on a Grand Ronde river trip last weekend and Inreached a fire we saw in on June 1. They were mopping it up the morning of June 2. It was up on a ridge and we saw it from the river. Not sure if it was lightning or human caused. I heard it was about 1500 acres. Seems pretty early for that area of the world.

The best guesses will become truth in October after most of the fire season is over. But cali does not have an end date. I send folks over to the thomas fire over X mas a year or 2 ago.

What will happen homes, subdivisions will burn and about 13-16 people will not come home. Enjoy the rain and extra time you get to spent with family that comes with a slow start to fire season unless you live BC.

Jaded as I start my 20th season of fire suppression. As always I end with pray for rain in the summer and pray for snow in the good months.

Interesting stuff, I had no idea it was that bad.

https://apple.news/Am6QFipOhRPKCogD6XjmP2w
    crab in my shoe mouth

There are a lot of Central Americans who would be happy to have some work doing thinning and containing fires in North America.
    Work for hots and a cot and asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There are a lot of Central Americans who would be happy to have some work doing thinning and containing fires in North America.
    Now you're just talking crazy. Don't you know they are all rapist, drug dealers and murders come to take American's jobs and steal food from your mouth? Pfffffffffffttttttt!

Can you imagine trying to have a situation like Ellis Island today?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I watched " Parts Unknown " last night where they did Houston Texas and painted it as a hot bed of new immigrants to America, there were boat people, central american, Indians playing cricket, everybody getting along doing well making lotsa money and the food was awesume

maybe this was an old pre-trump episode ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I watched " Parts Unknown " last night where they did Houston Texas and painted it as a hot bed of new immigrants to America, there were boat people, central american, Indians playing cricket, everybody getting along doing well making lotsa money and the food was awesume

maybe this was an old pre-trump episode ?
    Fake news... nothing to see here.... back to conflagration.....

living in the smoke is rough. I think i gained weight last fall. bought reusable masks for the family. our home has no AC, but we bought a pretty good HEPA filter last fall. It was the last filter available in the County at the time.

first de-energizing warning for this weekend. potential to de-energize SF North Bay Area, Davis/Winters, and Sierra Foothills: https://yubanet.com/regional/pge-mig...SwLIGPVvVHnrkY

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Was on a Grand Ronde river trip last weekend and Inreached a fire we saw in on June 1. They were mopping it up the morning of June 2. It was up on a ridge and we saw it from the river. Not sure if it was lightning or human caused. I heard it was about 1500 acres. Seems pretty early for that area of the world.
    Around Eden?

~15 acres, lightning caused.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Around Eden?

~15 acres, lightning caused.
    That has to be the one. Dude said 1500 but maybe I misheard.

Report out recently says the Paradise fire was started with a claw hammer - guy pounding a concrete post into the ground. Crazy.

States currently reporting large fires:

Alaska (4)
    Arizona (6)
    California (1)
    Florida (1)
    New Mexico (2)
    Washington (2)

Acres from active fires: 92,929

Fires contained: 1

Report out recently says the Paradise fire was started with a claw hammer - guy pounding a concrete post into the ground. Crazy.

States currently reporting large fires:

Alaska (4)
    Arizona (6)
    California (1)
    Florida (1)
    New Mexico (2)
    Washington (2)

Acres from active fires: 92,929

Fires contained: 1
    That's not the Paradise (Camp) fire, but a larger but less deadly and expensive one.

That's not the Paradise (Camp) fire, but a larger but less deadly and expensive one.
    I thought is was part of the larger complex but none-the-less still amazing that someone using a hand held hammer started such a fire. Tractors and the like I expect but someone wielding a hammer?

I thought is was part of the larger complex but none-the-less still amazing that someone using a hand held hammer started such a fire. Tractors and the like I expect but someone wielding a hammer?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Fauld_explosion

The cause of the disaster was not made clear at the time. There had been staff shortages, a management position had remained empty for a year, and 189 inexperienced Italian POWs were working in the mines at the time of the accident. In 1974, it was announced that the cause of the explosion was probably a site worker removing a detonator from a live bomb using a brass chisel rather than a wooden batten. An eyewitness testified that he had seen a worker using brass chisels in defiance of the strict regulations in force.[5]

Durango is back in the mix again.
    https://durangoherald.com/articles/2...ssionary-ridge

This one is getting up there in acreage:

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6382

Very rugged area, I have no idea how they’d battle this one without air support. The plumage on Tuesday was pretty significant, was backing up traffic in Phoenix. Windy, no rain in sight, low relative humidity, maybe this one goes until it runs out of fuel.

Above fire now at 38,000 acres, 0% containment

Cliff Mass Blogspot:

"The time to get ready for wildfire smoke is NOW--critical local supplies will be gone once air quality starts to decline.

High-quality air filters can make a huge difference.

Last summer, I did some experiments using a cheap box fan, with a high-quality furnace filter mounted on its intake side. Professor Dan Jaffe at UW Bothell, an air quality expert, did the same. The impacts were huge---this simple setup took most of the wildfire smoke out of the air. We also found that without filtration, inside air wasn't much better than outside air. "

Learn how to make your filter:

Woodbury fire now at 115,000 acres and 50% containment

Noticed that some of the scar/damage from the camp fire in paradise is showing of the base map sat image on google earth and google maps. The image is from December. I had not noticed it before. Crews are still doing the billion dollar debris removal still.

4,000+ lightning strikes spark at least 32 new fires across Pacific Northwest

State and federal agencies are planning to use infrared technology and perform flyovers when the weather clears to search for hot spots in remote wilderness areas.

This is important because heat and energy from lightning can remain underground or trapped in logs, and rekindled under the right conditions.

This was the case in the Whitewater Fire that burned thousands of acres near Mount Jefferson in 2017.

Put them to work with rakes, that is all that is needed.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot