Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Praxis Skis Info and Resources Thread

Instead of having a new thread every year, I think it might be handy to just have one thread that keeps on going like the ON3P discussion. Makes it easier to search for info.

http://praxisskis.com/

Post in this thread for general stoke, questions, mounting information, and reviews for Praxis Skis.

If you're a new Praxis purchaser, you can get a referral link from from members on here to create your account and get 15% off your first order. Win-win for everyone. Myself or other members will gladly send a link for the code if you private message us on here.

Below are past Praxis Threads with tons of great info in them. Also check out Praxis' Facebook page for more ski pics (check out the Veneer Graphics Album). As always, email Keith (owner of Praxis' skis) for advice on which ski/core/flex/veneer, graphics might work for you (can find his email on the website).

2013-Praxis-Skis

2014-Praxis-Skis-review-mounting-resource-guide

The-2015-Praxis-skis-info-and-reviews-thread

2016-PRAXIS-info-mounting-and-resource-guide

2017-Praxis-Skis-Info-and-Resource-Thread

2018-19-Praxis-Skis-Info-and-Resource-Thread

Praxis-Carbon-Layups-Yay-or-Nay-for-Resort

Praxis-Skis-Topsheet-and-Base-Graphic-Picture-Thread

Further Reading: Lineup is largely unchanged. The Enduro core is continuing as Maple, Ash, and Aspen. Aspen replaced Paulownia in Enduro core in 2018 - all Enduro/MAP cores prior to 2018 had Paulownia in them and no Aspen. New graphic options as usual, look killer. The ability to make a ski wider or narrower by 10mm has had positive results, although sometimes shapes do not work as well in a different width.

It appears that a new ski will be available this year, currently called "A-Ski" - 19m radius, 147-110-133 dimensions. Evolution of the RX, with the idea being this ski is made to change the waist widths (-10mm for hardpack slayer, +10mm for powder machine). More info to come.

New small batch production run in the fall with PM Gear was a huge success. Not sure if this ski will be available in the sale. - Praxis Collab 191cm Lhasa Pow Fat:

Praxis-Lhasa-Pow-Fats

Going to make an effort to shift the discussion to this thread.

Placed my order last night, ended up with:

184 Piste Jibs, Heavy/Veneer/3.5 Flex. Caligrifade graphic on maple veneer. Snagged the sapling ski poles as well, looking forward to trying them out!

The new SKI seems way different than other praxis skis. Those tips are fat a f.
    Kinda wailer 112y? Taper doesnt seem that long.

Really want to build a heavy RX, but with so many other ripping skis coming out I think i’ll wait another year.

Love those camber profile shots, bummed Keith hasn’t put one out for “the ski”. Currently helping shop for a couple friends and that ski really sounds like it could hit the mark, just a little scared it might be that “good everywhere but not great anywhere kind of a ski?” It is a Praxis though and based off the RX so I highly doubt you could wrong with it. I’d be seriously surprised if it takes over the Freeride/98 market but I kinda hope it does. Honestly I’m kinda recommending the Backcountry in a resort layup as a do it all ski but fuck, everything they put out is just so damn good...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Yea getting more deetz from the man ref “the ski”. Will post when received. Need something to replace sn108

Last edited by pembyguy; 04-05-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    ... Honestly I’m kinda recommending the Backcountry in a resort layup as a do it all ski but fuck, everything they put out is just so damn good...
    Yeah, last year it was down to choosing between a PJ and a beefed up BC as well for that application.

In the end, I filled a redundant, non-existant hole in my quiver instead. No one ever called me smart ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-06-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Had my Qs out in the creamiest mashed potatoes yesterday. That ski might feel even cooler in the glop than in pow, the way the asym works is so much more pronounced when its arcing through that type of snow. I'll say it again too fkn heavy core ftw at the resort.

Just spent last week skiing at all 4 resorts in LCC and BCC on my Q’s. The more I ski then the more I love them. They handled everything from packed powder to spring slush to refrozen chunder. The asymmetrical shape is great. I was able to ski Alta the morning of the demo day and spent all AM on ON3P skis which are really good (kartel, BG, wren, and woodsman) and then my Quixote all afternoon and was really happy. No trading them out anytime soon. Pair is 188 cm 4 flex with MAP+veneer mounted on the line.

Jah, skied mine more than any other ski in my quiver this winter due to such a good year but they really are a can do anything ski, would take them anywhere without question. Think if I could change anything they’d be heavy core but they rad AF as is for sure. Concepts still my favorite DD but anytime it’s even a little soft the Q’s are top of the menu for sure! Also did some spring skiing with them last year and thoroughly enjoyed every turn. Will definitely get some big mtn turns on them before this season is over

Is there a set end date for the custom skis sale? Thinking about a pair of Freerides but need a little time to think it over.
    It sucks to suck.

Skibrd got me all interested in a MVP +10. Ugh so many options today!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Skibrd got me all interested in a MVP +10. Ugh so many options today!
    Get some CCR

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Get some CCR
    Hmm, that could be pretty sweet actually.

Anyone with reviews on the normal MVP?

Yeah. It's awesome. I've had the 188 mtn jib (similar, but not quite the same ski), the 193 MVP stock layup and now I tour on a 183 with a 3.5 flex, enduro/carbon/veneer that weighs in at 1825 grams/ski.

If I were going to get another pair, I'd get them without the carbon and add just a little weight.

But overall, it's such a great ski. Lots of tip and tail rocker length, but shallow rocker lines, so they don't wash out on you (in a good way). Rewards aggressive, high angulation skiing; tolerates mellow skiing very nicely as well. Directional ski with a somewhat progressive mount.

I mounted at -1, which makes them float really well. I've taken them down the same run I took my cease and desists on a deep powder day this year - perfectly content. Great stability at speed in consistent snow. Super quick edge to edge. You can make any size turn you want.

Still a little chattery in variable snow -- so it goes. The better the skinning, the worse the descent.

I do quite like enduro/veneer without carbon. I also like heavy hitter/veneer/carbon as layup options. Enduro/carbon is better than the UL core, but still a little skittish in variable snow.

From a shape/capability perspective though - it rules. I'm just going to do my build a little differently on my next praxis.

This from someone who doesn't adjust his skiing style all that well between in and out of bounds riding.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Hmm, that could be pretty sweet actually.

Anyone with reviews on the normal MVP?
    The normal MVP is close to CCR, anyway. Deep, subtle rocker, both tip and tail, and minimal camber.

I have the stock 187, and it's a very versatile ski, as the name implies. Too light to really charge, but does handle funky snow really well, and is very nice in powder. Would love to try a heavy build, 4+ flex version. Great touring ski, though, as is, even with the twinned tail.

Edit: Whoops, doubled up a bit on Supre's comments. Looks like we agree.
    Last edited by Island Bay; 04-11-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks guys,

Self Jupiter dont you have a pair?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Praxis Rx
    They need to rebrand that as the DDS.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

i like the MVP for spring bumpslushcorn
    Seriously hold their own on the icy hardpack as well (west coast anyway). Shockingly good sticks pretty much everywhere. They’re much better most places than skis with bigger personalities and stoopid comfortable anywhere, but kinda lack any sort of special characteristic. They’d make a phenomenal DD, spring ski, park ski, all mountain ski, hell even a touring ski, but if I was gon build a fat pair and wanted something with a lil more flavor, I’d build em rockered and stiff so those tails could handle their duty. I’d bet they’d be fun A F!

MVP works great in the East on our variety of surfaces, from deep powder days [yes, we can get them] to icy groomed, they do it all. Putting an order together now for a new pair I don't need, but want.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Is there a set end date for the custom skis sale? Thinking about a pair of Freerides but need a little time to think it over.

Price goes up a Benjamin May 1st.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

184 Freeride’s 4flex purchased, let the waiting begin.
    I'm curious how they compare to Rxs, 'coz the heavy core, veneer, flex 4, 184 Freerides I bought two years ago beat the crap out of me.

Low tide around these parts usually means a healthy dose of bumps (at least if one is averse to groomers).

After the fact, I verified with Keith that they're not the prescription for bumps. What a dumbass I can be.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I thought that might be the case from your earlier comments. They're definitely chargers.
    Galibier Design

Do Praxis skis measure true to length ala ON3P or shorter like a Moment/most ski brands? It depends on the ski obviously but say for a similar shape/use how would a 184 ON3P stack up lengthwise against a 187 Praxis?