Is a 2005 Toyota Tundra enough truck for sleds?

GVWR: 6,600 lbs
    Curb Weight: 5,020 lbs

https://www.carexpoauto.com/2005_Toy...A_26136408.veh

So that means I can carry 1580 lbs.

That sounds like more than enough for two sleds, ski gear, and a buddy.

But I've read elsewhere I'm gonna regret it if I don't go with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck like an F 250.

It has a 6.5 foot bed. Is that enough for a 175 track Summit SP or am I gonna regret not getting something with a longer bed?

IMO the bigger issue is that the bed is narrow (as is the whole truck).

How do you want to carry the sleds? Since you mention payload you're probably wanting to carry on the truck rather than towing. That means you need a sled deck, two sleds will not fit in the bed of a Tundra (or really any truck) so you need the deck.

500lbs per sled (assuming two strokes) + a couple hundred for the deck + gear means you're going to be pretty close to payload capacity. Does that bother you if you go over? I dunno, up to you. You're probably going to want to do some suspension work, airbags, add-a-leaf, etc. to the rear. A 3/4 ton or 1 ton would handle it better, but the Tundra will probably be OK.

I tow a heavy steel sled trailer with two sleds on it regularly with my 2004 Tundra. It does fine, but I wouldn't want to pull anything heavier than that.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    How do you want to carry the sleds? Since you mention payload you're probably wanting to carry on the truck rather than towing. That means you need a sled deck, two sleds will not fit in the bed of a Tundra (or really any truck) so you need the deck.

500lbs per sled (assuming two strokes) + a couple hundred for the deck + gear means you're going to be pretty close to payload capacity. Does that bother you if you go over? I dunno, up to you. You're probably going to want to do some suspension work, airbags, add-a-leaf, etc. to the rear. A 3/4 ton or 1 ton would handle it better, but the Tundra will probably be OK.

I tow a heavy steel sled trailer with two sleds on it regularly with my 2004 Tundra. It does fine, but I wouldn't want to pull anything heavier than that.
    I would say that with 2 sleds, deck, and two big guys with gear, he would probably be over. And also need to check the rear axle weight ratings. Seconded on the airbags at a minimum. But probably better to tow a sled trailer, and still be able to put gear/chains/extra fuel in the back of the truck.

No way would you manage to stay within payload, even if the numbers (curb weight and GVWR) are accurate. If those are manufacturer's published numbers, they often are for base-model rigs without options (like side steps, heavy-duty tires, bedliner, tonneau cover, etc) that add weight. FWIW, the theoretical max payload on my truck (2017 F-150) is north of 2k, it came from the factory at 1800ish, and real-world with mods it's closer to 1400 (admittedly, I have a heavy bumper and I carry about 100 pounds of just-in-case supplies and recovery gear).

If you're wondering about how close you are, the best way to get an answer is to drive to the nearest CAT scale, with a full tank of fuel (conveniently, most of the scales are located at truck stops), any cargo / buddies / extra fuel / etc that you'd want to carry and already have, and weigh the truck. Subtract that number from your GVWR and that's what you've got left to work with, by the book. You'll also then have numbers for both axles to consider; as noted above, you may well run out of rGAWR before you run out of GVWR.

edit: and if you are truck shopping, there should be a yellow sticker on the driver's side B pillar indicating the payload as it left the factory. (looks like https://i1.wp.com/www.truckcamperadv...size=709%2C532)

Some people drive overloaded trucks, to varying degrees of overloaded. I had a friend out west with a slide-in camper on her F-150. The truck had to be substantially overloaded, and it handled like crap. It was still usable, but it was absolutely horrible in deep snow and on forest-service roads due to the suspension already being maxed out.

I'd pencil in 500 pounds per sled plus another 500 for the deck; you may be able to beat that with an aluminum deck, but I dunno. You could also swap the factory bed for an aluminum flatbed and maybe make the numbers work, but that's probably going to get expensive and cost you some utility if you like having a normal pickup bed most of the time.

And that, I think, is going to be the bigger issue—putting sleds on a sled deck rather than a trailer is often a way to get further away from good roads, but by overloading the truck (probably by a lot), you're going to end up with a rig that absolutely sucks to drive on said roads. You can band-aid the problems by putting on air bags and/or upgrading springs, tires, etc.; or you can solve the problem by buying the right truck for the use case (a 3/4-ton gasser).

I forgot about the sled deck. I definitely don't want a trailer - I'll be in Tahoe and parking is an issue.

Looks like for two sleds Tundra is obviously out then. Thanks all!

Which truck should I get? F 250 or equivalent?

Airbags... can you elaborate?

Not to mention almost $14k for a 15 year old truck with almost 200,000 miles..... I wonder if an extended cab would change any of the payload numbers much vs the 4 door pictured?
    with that said, I love my Tundra. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Not to mention almost $14k for a 15 year old truck with almost 200,000 miles..... I wonder if an extended cab would change any of the payload numbers much vs the 4 door pictured?
    with that said, I love my Tundra. Good luck!
    The stated payload capacity is actually lower for an AC than a DC, because marketing.

I reaaaaaaally want toyota to make a 3/4ton tundra.
    Crewmax + 6.5' box + payload + toyota magic would be sick.
    I'm not holding my breath though, and my Tundra has lots of life left in it.

Also, yes... get airbags. https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/88299/

Quote Originally Posted by skiingisfun69 View Post
    Airbags... can you elaborate?
    Do you want us to test drive the sleds for you too? Be right back, promise.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    ... the right truck for the use case (a 3/4-ton gasser).
    There's a phrase you don't hear too often... but he's right

OP strikes me as more of a dodge guy anyway

Just to reinforce, get a 3/4 or 1 ton gasser. Pick your flavor, they all have problems.

i t-boned a Tundra (not mine) from the side in between the driver and rear door with 800 summit doo sled....about two years ago at vail pass (frozen gold finger) , my experience is that they do not hold up as well as a sled....sled needed a new can and bumper and some plastic and the tundra needed doors and door skins and rocker panel work.....

so no imo a tundra is not enough truck for a sled.....
    true story and cost me nearly $3k

however, this year i backed my f250 into a 5 series bimmer and did $2.6K damage to it ($zero to my truck lol) and it was like 1/20th of what i did to the tundra....
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....