Question Three Day Weekend in Colombia, Recs?

Booked a last minute trip to Colombia with some miles. Getting into Bogota next Friday night, heading home that Monday night. Will probably spend Saturday night in Medellin, will try to get to Guatape while in Medellin.

Any recommendations for where to stay in Medellin and Bogota and other things to do/see? Would like to be in a cool, walkable part of town. Will likely us hotel points in the Marriott network, but may just book with cash since Colombia looks pretty inexpensive.

Thanks!

I've stayed at the biohotel in Usaquen, a suburb of Bogota. The hotel is brand new and very comfortable, and the included breakfast is outstanding, especially considering the price. Its in a walkable location for local markets and restaurants, and right near the ciclovia route if you happen to be there on a Sunday. Not particularly close to the airport or the cultural district of Bogota, but taxis and Uber are dirt cheap. Uber probably won't take you to the airport.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

2.5 hours and no "hookers and blow" comment yet?!

Hookers and Blow, duh...

I spent 4-5 days there in 2005. Got there on a national holiday and a bunch of highways were closed to vehicles so people could ride bikes on them. We stayed in La Candelaria district which is sort of the old historic center of town. Narrow cobbled streets, cool architecture, artwork, and buildings. There were some cool little restaurants nearby, a favorite was an Israeli place just down the street from the hotel/hostel. You could walk to a lot of stuff from there, and the bus system is easy to use. There were a ton of museums nearby. Definitely recommend the Museo de oro. Any good guidebook should have a list of them. Also took the funicular up to the Monserrate, which was worthwhile for a great view of the city. Really wanted to check out a soccer game or bull fight at the plaza nearby but neither of those happened during the time we were there. I can't recall the name of the place we stayed at, sort of a low-end hotel/hostel. It would have been one of the top recommendations in the lonely planet shoestring guide. There was a popular gringo hostel nearby but it was booked up.

I think whiteroomguardian has spent a bunch of time there. Shoot him a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I spent 4-5 days there in 2005. Got there on a national holiday and a bunch of highways were closed to vehicles so people could ride bikes on them.
    That's every Sunday.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

That was their Independence day or something. It wasnt a weekend, or else we would have been able to catch a soccer game.

Quote Originally Posted by mcove View Post
    2.5 hours and no "hookers and blow" comment yet?!

Hookers and Blow, duh...

+1

Maybe get a TB vaccination 1st. St Marten had a TB outbreak from Colombian hookers.

If you look at Vice, they have a certain type of horticultural tour available. Not sure if it's your thing, but I'd have to see that.

Don't forget to post your Hippo pics!
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.