Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I thought this was standard practice already. I know I've seen articles where people's FB posts led to fraud investigations and criminal prosecution (remember, kids, disability fraud is a felony).
    It is, for this purpose and a whole lot of other things. I get a lot of discovery of complete police files, and 90% of them have a whole catalog of every form of social media.

It extends to people in their network as well. Be careful who you friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Miss the point much? He's talking about someone claiming a physical disability that they suffered that now prevents them from being able to work at their job. That person is of course still allowed to do fun things, but if they're collecting disability because they can no longer stand for 5 minutes without significant pain, a video of them playing full court basketball would be a little problematic, no?
    I didn't miss the point at all. I agree people who commit fraud should be prosecuted. But I think a scheme to monitor social media for abuse is going to capture in the same net people with legitimate disabilities who are just trying to get on with their lives. With the current administration trying to be hard asses about everything I have a hard time believing their monitors will include critical thought or any sort of fair process in their quest to kick offenders off disability rolls. Just look at all the stories of immigration enforcement. They are taking a very hard line on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Does it get you a parking space? Or an assistance animal?
    LoL
    I hope it never does.

Just a thought but if you surfed the Web on the subject could your browser history be used against you ?

Google search
    "how do I scam an insurance claim and go on permeant disability"

Free Stuff, Fraud or Fair?

I wonder how many whiny asshats commenting in this thread, that someone is gaming the public safety nets, are abusing their employment privileges as they type on TGR...?

Not without a warrant. Which isn't out of the question if there are other activities to give probable cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Just a thought but if you surfed the Web on the subject could your browser history be used against you ?

Google search
    "how do I scam an insurance claim and go on permeant disability"
    I'd Google search

>search history prosecution< if I were you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I am disabled

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    So, is it fair for Uncle Sam to say people who post photos of themselves skiing (or even sit skiing?) shouldn't be able to collect Social Security disability pay?
    Not fair.

Miss the point much? He's talking about someone claiming a physical disability that they suffered that now prevents them from being able to work at their job. That person is of course still allowed to do fun things, but if they're collecting disability because they can no longer stand for 5 minutes without significant pain, a video of them playing full court basketball would be a little problematic, no?
    Not problematic. Depends on circumstance.

Question is, would skiing really be an option for people who are too disabled to do ANY job full time?
    Yes.

I am unable to sit or stand for any reasonable length of time. Other activities I can do longer, but still have trouble. This apparently disqualifies me from all full-time jobs. I suggested I might be able to tutor for an hour a week, if I could lie down, but the occupational therapists don't consider that reasonable.

I could probably ski once or twice a week, maybe even daily, if I lived near a mountain. I'm already relatively skilled at skiing. The sitting is intermittent and short (5-10 minute lift rides). Rest can be had anywhere at any time. Skiing can be very similar to the PT exercises I do. Activity is generally considered good for people attempting to recover from chronic pain. I'm unwilling to risk sitting for the drive, else I'd ski more. I've considered moving, but would lose my health professionals.

Had I been a basketball player, I'd be willing to play. I wasn't, so I don't have the skills to prevent injury from a fall. Otherwise, a pickup basketball game seems fine (likely beneficial) for someone with disability similar to mine.

Yes the system is fucked up. Some of you mention fraud, I'm sure it happens. I'm also interested in the other side of the issue - how many people are denied who should be covered. I've been through hell, to get intermittent coverage until the insurance company decides to deny my claim again. Uncle Sam is a longer process I'm working through now (i.e. others are working for me). Does the system cause dependence? Idk. Injury certainly does.

If you think disability insurance or SSI is going to make you whole, think again. You'll need someone to fight like hell for you, because you may not be in condition to do it yourself. Meanwhile, light your savings on fire, as they go to your medical care and daily living. Any disability pay goes to your lawyers and taxes.

I strongly advise you all to talk to a financial planner about good disability coverage. I wish I had. I worked for a great company, and assumed the standard coverage was good. All their other benefits were. The disability coverage I find entirely inadequate.

Don't get hurt.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    I am unable to sit or stand for any reasonable length of time.
    Your daily routine must be interesting.

Yes the system is fucked up. Some of you mention fraud, I'm sure it happens. I'm also interested in the other side of the issue - how many people are denied who should be covered. I've been through hell, to get intermittent coverage until the insurance company decides to deny my claim again. Uncle Sam is a longer process I'm working through now (i.e. others are working for me). Does the system cause dependence? Idk. Injury certainly does.

If you think disability insurance or SSI is going to make you whole, think again. You'll need someone to fight like hell for you, because you may not be in condition to do it yourself. Meanwhile, light your savings on fire, as they go to your medical care and daily living. Any disability pay goes to your lawyers and taxes.
    I used to work in welfare case management, and had many clients on SSI or trying to get on SSI. I can certainly confirm that many many people are denied coverage who shouldn't be, and fight through years of appeals.

And yeah, SSI is just a pittance of money, it's hardly making anyone rich or even middle class. It's only the difference between being dirt poor or having absolutely nothing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you're dumb enough to be on disability and then post pics of yourself skiing etc, you're probably too dumb to work so you should be able to get disability for that.
    Well...
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

we had a guy in town who retired early with disability from the nypd or fd or something
    they ended up doing one of those 20/20 shows on him with the hidden camera snowmobiling and skiing
    it was funny as shit, he ended up moving shortly after the show aired

as for fraud, fuck yeah, take those people to task
    I drop 18k a year on WC, fuck that shit

Not fair.

Not problematic. Depends on circumstance.

Yes.

I am unable to sit or stand for any reasonable length of time. Other activities I can do longer, but still have trouble. This apparently disqualifies me from all full-time jobs. I suggested I might be able to tutor for an hour a week, if I could lie down, but the occupational therapists don't consider that reasonable.

I could probably ski once or twice a week, maybe even daily, if I lived near a mountain. I'm already relatively skilled at skiing. The sitting is intermittent and short (5-10 minute lift rides). Rest can be had anywhere at any time. Skiing can be very similar to the PT exercises I do. Activity is generally considered good for people attempting to recover from chronic pain. I'm unwilling to risk sitting for the drive, else I'd ski more. I've considered moving, but would lose my health professionals.
    There are a few places that might be viable. The office environment I work in has fully adjustable sit down or stand up desks, takes about 15 seconds to raise it up or lower it down. We also have good VPN work from home options and many, MANY people spend a good amount of working hours kicking back in fuzzy slippers talking on the phone in conference calls, might sit up for an hour to do some MS office reports, presentation slides, etc, then back on the phone, possibly even lying down in bed.

Fact is we can't tell as casual observers who really needs to be on disability, My father in law has full handicapped parking but looks fit as a fiddle for his age. However, actually he has multiple chronic conditions that impact him pretty hard with little warning. To have it happen when he's a quarter mile from his car on a 100 degree day could actually kill him. But, most of the time he'd be fine walking that far. We don't know what we don't know.

At the end of the day, pun intended, to have a chronic problem flair up in the middle of a ski day you can usually just call it, sit down and rest, then head home when you are able. To have chronic ailments flaring up in the middle of the work day. when managers and colleagues are depending on you to deliver, is way more problematic and makes keeping that job a lot more difficult.

There is a fair amount of fraud. I know several people on disability who really could do several jobs that aren't that difficult to land. Most started out with absolute need for it but their health improved yet they're taking the benefits as long as they can regardless. Pretty sure most of us know folks who are. But, there are just as many struggling to hang on to jobs in REAL pain. The best thing about Social Security Disability is the Medicare. Good luck landing one of those minimum wage phone bank jobs that actually has any (much less better) medical benefits.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I wonder how many whiny asshats commenting in this thread, that someone is gaming the public safety nets, are abusing their employment privileges as they type on TGR...?
    I'm so productive my employer makes me spend time here so I don't make my fellow employees look bad.
    The Sheriff is near!

There are a few places that might be viable. The office environment I work in has fully adjustable sit down or stand up desks, takes about 15 seconds to raise it up or lower it down.
    I had that, and lying on the floor, and frequent walks. Also RSI software I programmed for breaks every few minutes. Thought I was performing well enough. Management thought otherwise. Considering a new job made me recognize how far down the disability hole I was, there was no way I could ramp-up and perform at something new. I was working as hard as I could, and that didn't even rate 'coasting' performance-wise.

At the end of the day, pun intended, to have a chronic problem flair up in the middle of a ski day you can usually just call it, sit down and rest, then head home when you are able. To have chronic ailments flaring up in the middle of the work day. when managers and colleagues are depending on you to deliver, is way more problematic and makes keeping that job a lot more difficult.
    Yep. That's why casual activities can work. And why I don't have a job. I hope to make it back.

There is a fair amount of fraud. I know several people on disability who really could do several jobs that aren't that difficult to land. Most started out with absolute need for it but their health improved yet they're taking the benefits as long as they can regardless. Pretty sure most of us know folks who are. But, there are just as many struggling to hang on to jobs in REAL pain. The best thing about Social Security Disability is the Medicare. Good luck landing one of those minimum wage phone bank jobs that actually has any (much less better) medical benefits.
    I would be far better off working. Building retirement security, contributing to society, skiing like demon. Instead, I'm thinking I should study dog food nutrition, and check out the local bridges so I can stay dry when it rains. Probably won't happen to me since I have good family and friends.

Writing of the homeless... I've had several mumble/yell about being just like us 'haves' before a medical problem put them out of work and on the street. Many of them are our former co-workers, classmates, and family members, and dentists. This is a failure of society.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Writing of the homeless... I've had several mumble/yell about being just like us 'haves' before a medical problem put them out of work and on the street. Many of them are our former co-workers, classmates, and family members, and dentists. This is a failure of society.
    Just wait until automation, AI, and robotics puts 60% of the rest of the workforce in to obsolesce. When suit up show up, and be willing to perform basic service work is no longer enough, when having a car or truck for hire isn't viable anymore, etc.. a lot of people pointing fingers today will experience similar financial disaster pain.

I heard 50% as the worst case scenario, and that's not counting any new types of jobs that are created, like McD's robot arm fluffer.
    Such is the world. Not a lot of telegraph operators or typewriter repairers anymore.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Nothing is free.
    watch out for snakes

I heard 50% as the worst case scenario, and that's not counting any new types of jobs that are created, like McD's robot arm fluffer.
    Such is the world. Not a lot of telegraph operators or typewriter repairers anymore.
    Did anyone else see the segment John Oliver did on this? He pointed out that at one time a large percentage of the population worked in agriculture. In just a couple generations that percentage was massively reduced, but that reduction didn't result in lots of people being out of work. Instead people got different jobs, they moved to the cities and became factory workers, etc. I don't think there's any reason to suspect anything different will happen in the future. What people need to realize is the job they currently have isn't necessarily going to be around forever--but there will be jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Even the homeless don't care about the east coast?
    No, they used to live there

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I used to work in welfare case management, and had many clients on SSI or trying to get on SSI. I can certainly confirm that many many people are denied coverage who shouldn't be, and fight through years of appeals.

And yeah, SSI is just a pittance of money, it's hardly making anyone rich or even middle class. It's only the difference between being dirt poor or having absolutely nothing.
    Yes - this is true. It is very difficult to get on SSI as a disabled adult. The stories of denials I have heard are sad.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Yes - this is true. It is very difficult to get on SSI as a disabled adult. The stories of denials I have heard are sad.

My sister is a lawyer who focuses on this. She also has Lupus and is on it herself only working part time, mostly pro bono for friends.

So, what about someone who has enough physical prowess to ski for 4 hours but parks in the handicapped spot up at the front, with a permit to do so? I'm gonna say if you can ski, or sit ski for 4 hours you can probably walk or roll 300 feet across the parking lot. Now I do get that some folks need a wider spot to get their adaptive gear set up with them in it ready to roll.. Just saying they don't "need" to be up at the front row necessarily if they have the physical ability to ski or hike or whatever..
    I regularly ride with disabled skiers/boarders, including as a volunteer coach. Just here to say That^^^ Right There, is some pretty fucking stupid shit. As Danno said upthread, don't even know where to begin. Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I regularly ride with disabled skiers/boarders, including as a volunteer coach. Just here to say That^^^ Right There, is some pretty fucking stupid shit. As Danno said upthread, don't even know where to begin. Maybe
    This is obvious. Here's a fun fact. I used to work with a dude with a prosthetic leg. He was in better shape than most fully able people.... until one day when a pin broke in his prosthetic leg. We made a call and had a wheelchair brought in to get him to his car so he didn't have to hop on one leg all the way there. So, ya, good that he is able to park close. Similar situation with my father in law. 90% of the time he is perfectly fine, but when things go bad they go bad fast. ,y point is to the casual observer it seems like they don't need it. In reality most do sometimes and cak't tell in advance when that problem will arise. I've mentioned these things earlier in the thread. Quit cherry picking comments and read the whole thread or continue to act like an ass. Your choice..

It was the whole fucking paragraph pendejo, cherry picking my fucking ass.
    And doesn't change the fact that you posted some seriously stupid shit. You have no fucking clue
    Here's a fun fact - you are a fucking bag of used douche