Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JackSkier View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIfhbMVN3fY&t=380s

Watch this and you will see what 60 degree looks like. Vivian Bruchez, one of the world's top steep skiers, says it's the absolute limit of what is possible to ski, and it is definitely not done at speed.
    ya..ask any cameraman in ski industry..> those 55% slopes are so scary because they have killed more than a few mountaineers

they also require almost perfect conditions or its suicide
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    I'm not an instructor, but if you want to ski Squaw with me next year, I will give you some structure to actually "work" on your goals at Squaw, instead of just following your heart all day for unstructured fun on the mountain. My main approach is just start small, and work your way up in small increments...5ft rock, then 8ft, then 12, 15, 20, etc. Heck, there's even a Squallywood book that makes it easy to know where to go to step it up incrementally. Sometimes my friends quit skiing at 2pm, then I continue skiing solo to "work" on my progression from 2pm-4pm. (NOTE: I don't think I can teach you to ski at speed at 65-degrees and then stop on a dime...but maybe you can work on trying to stick slow pedal hop turns on it, or straight-line it.)

After working on it and getting on top of your game at your home mountain, you'll be in better position to choose which exotic trip you want next.

You taking signups?

ok, also using money to purchase a clinometer lol

Quote Originally Posted by soyboy80 View Post
    ok, also using money to purchase a clinometer lol

Or a stop watch

Whoever you book your lesson with tell them you want to be taught to ski like this.

Time how long before they hang up.

Post a TR
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

You don't need a clinometer. Just keep some TP in your pocket. You'll figure out when it gets really, really Steep.

not trolling tbh, looking for advice and have got some good stuff already (EX: don't do cat/heli trip, they have a diff purpose than pushing limits)

I mean, yea not many people are straightlining 60 degree runs, but "at speed" on 60 degree slopes to me means linking turns, not just doing jump turns to get down.
    I'm with buttah. Def trolling

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    I was just trying to start a racer vs. nonracer, East vs. west, whomever vs. whatever good ol' rock fight that would devolve into a shitshow. Whose trolling who?

Go on now
    Skiing icy gates is the correct answer.
    But still, 60 degree slopes? Huh?
    Take a lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

A lot of people have a warped idea of what slope is what angle. One day I read through the Big Sky avy control handbook that patrollers use as a reference and it included every slope angle as measured by them for control purposes. Very enlightening. Too bad most ski areas don't seem to make that info public.

Double the falling leaf training days

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Pushing my limits

https://www.aspensnowmass.com/-/medi...highlands.ashx

Highlands has a pretty good map.
    The Hot Y’s 48* pitch is steeep!

One of the perks of an Aspen Premier Pass, is unlimited locals clinics, for $129. My wife has always been a decent skier and always took the women’s clinics. But this year she took all the racing clinics and she really upped her game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    You taking signups?
    hahahaha. No signups. It's just skiing. When I spend quality time with my friends on the slopes, they don't care about progression, so we just wing it for fun on-the-fly and see what happens. If I'm solo, then sometimes I deliberately "work" on my progression, especially after I regress after setbacks like injuries. If you ski Squaw next year, hit me up, and maybe we can ski together.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    https://www.aspensnowmass.com/-/medi...highlands.ashx

Highlands has a pretty good map.
    The Hot Y’s 48* pitch is steeep!
    Yep.
    Steep and sustained.
    ~45* is quite steep.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I'm with buttah. Def trolling
    For sure. I wonder if he has a buddy who had a pair of skis stolen that he recently borrowed from the rental shop where he works?

^^^ I especially like the Gordy Camp reference.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

For hucking you may want to checkout some of the summer week long adult free style clinics at timberline. You won't ski anything steep but you will get plenty of practice on jumps. I haven't taken the clinic myself but I most likely will either this summer or the one after.

When trying to refine your form for steeper slopes, I recommend spacing your lessons out and working on what you need to improve before moving on to the next item to correct in your form.

Watch this and you will see what 60 degree looks like. Vivian Bruchez, one of the world's top steep skiers, says it's the absolute limit of what is possible to ski, and it is definitely not done at speed.
    anybody know where I can get a pair of those skis?

And that's not even skiing in my book, just survival with skis on.

There's nothing even close to 60d sustained inbounds, straightlines don't count.

ski laps on the shit that makes you uncomfortable at squaw/alpine. increase your comfort level on that stuff. since you have the pass, drive down to mammoth and do some bell to bell spring laps skiing everything off the gondi and ch 23.

i'm a tele-wanker. you can guess how i'd recommend really improving your skills....

I was fortunate enough to ski with this guy a bunch. He skied for 3 years total. All of this video I filmed is compilation of his progression in that time. He did the narration. Watch out!! Progression too quickly will lead to disillusionment.

So many good quotes in there... The Atomics at the end give good time context.

Op needs to reach out to big air Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Find a race program and run gates. Seriously. A 15meter slalom ski on hardback with gates in the snow will expose your weaknesses and tighten your shit up real fast.
    Exactly what I was going to say. Join a masters race program and buy in to the drills etc. your technique and comfort will skyrocket

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

not trolling tbh, looking for advice and have got some good stuff already (EX: don't do cat/heli trip, they have a diff purpose than pushing limits)

I mean, yea not many people are straightlining 60 degree runs, but "at speed" on 60 degree slopes to me means linking turns, not just doing jump turns to get down.
    Ignore buttaflake, or put him on ignore. He has no stoke, always pissing on someone and is usually an angry cunt.

Oh dude, I occupy space in yer head, should I being paying rent?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    All of this video I filmed is compilation of his progression in that time. He did the narration. ]
    Who played the harpsichord?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Oh dude, I occupy space in yer head, should I being paying rent?
    just giving a noob the heads up.......go on now