Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    I looked at the spirit I E310 last weekend. The display model had 3 broken parts on it, way too much plastic for the 30 mph winds at my house.
    Then you definitely don't want the latest Spirit model. Way worst.

Have had a Weber genesis something-or-other for about 15yrs, still going strong. The people I bought my place from also left a Weber charcoal kettle grill but I've never used it.

Old Weber 3 for grilling. Side to side. Idirect works fine. Just a little Masterbuilt electric for smoking. It's great. Set it and forget it.

Ideal quiver would be:
    Traeger for the smoking needs/fun cooks/etc
    Charcoal weber or gas for daily grill tasks
    Uuni for the pizzas.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I've got an egg which I use 95% of the time. the other 5 a propane that I can't remember the brand its been so long I used it. I did upgrade the racks, plates and burner assembly a few years back and it runs much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I've got a Egg, Blackstone, Inferno, PGS hooked to the house and a Iwatani Yakitori grll.

This might be the next one... They are fucking expensive though. Pitmaker Vault.
    Bobby, I am a huge BGE fan, but Stumps BBQ Baby XL is the one I lost after... This thing is the shit and built like a tank...Name:  the-xl-baby-open.jpeg
Views: 503
Size:  51.9 KB

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Classic Weber kettle, generic pos propane grill for quick easy stuff, and a big ass heavy thick steel barrel smoker who's brand name is escaping me right now. The Weber gets the bulk of the abuse.

I assume the answer is no, but are any of the ~ $200 'chest' smokers you see at big box stores any good? My current smoker requires way too much baby sitting and goes through a shit ton of charcoal each session.

I've got a cheap smoker that does the job and an old weber I mainly use to finish off smoked brisket after I do the foil wrap thing to get it to temperature faster. I find I like steaks and other meats seared on cast iron better than grilled. Although I expect to be using it a lot soon as their going to demolish my kitchen for a month or so.

Is it me or do the gas line connections on those look enormous?
    They are so pretty though.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I find I like steaks and other meats seared on cast iron better than grilled.
    Yeah, it's taken me way longer in life than it should have to realize that. And bonus with the pan, you can make a quick deglaze.

I have a large BGE, a charcoal cabinet non-insulated vertical smoker, a small char-broil kettle grill, and a charcoal chimney starter (I used to use it for steaks). I find that my BGE is the one grill I use for everything now. I have a cast iron grate that I use for steaks an a cast iron flat pan I use for smash burgers on the BGE.

Since the beginning of the year I've seared steaks at 900 degrees, bbq'd a pork butt as low as 210 for 21 hours (the stall took forever) bbq'd chicken wings and legs at 260 and reverse seared extra thick pork chops at 250 then 900 for the sear. In the past I've smoked bacon at 185 for 4 hours. My only real complaints with my BGE is the grate is too low below the lip and I wish I got the x-large size as the large is difficult to fit a big brisket or multiple racks of ribs flat. One of the best perks of a BGE or other ceramic smoker is it is so much more efficient in the winter for fuel use and temperature control.

I have 6x Kamado Joe, 2x Weber kettles, 2x vertical smokers (like WSM but a Euro brand), 1x Traeger, and à bunch of small stuff. Got another Traeger and a drum smoker coming next week. Some *might* say I have a problem - but they *are* for work. .

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    My only real complaints with my BGE is the grate is too low below the lip and I wish I got the x-large size as the large is difficult to fit a big brisket or multiple racks of ribs flat. One of the best perks of a BGE or other ceramic smoker is it is so much more efficient in the winter for fuel use and temperature control.
    It’s easy to raise the grate to lip level with fire bricks. Obviously you will need to adjust your cooking if you do that. I like using the raised grate for chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I have had an Egg for a few years now. Only grill. Thinking about picking up a small gas grill for the ease of use. Only downside the the Bog Green Egg is the time it takes to get to temp. Sometimes it’s nice to fire up gas and get a quick cook.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    What are you using to start the fire? I started using a mapp gas torch a few years ago and you can really get the fire going quickly that way. One bottle will last me maybe two years and they are cheap.

Two best homemade briskets I've ever had: one from a full built-in stone pit with oak and mesquite; the other from a Traeger.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Congrats of the house. What area?

We have XL BGE, that was received as a house warming gift. Spent 7 yrs prior smoking on a older gas Weber: turkey, steaks, chicken, and pork. Like the BGE more. We cook a lot of chicken and tri-tip on BGE. I used to reverse sear the tri tip on the gas grill. Lately, been doing it inside in an iron skillet, which has come out great!

Opinions on Vermont Castings Gas BBQ's?

I am looking to upgrade the gas grill this month. The Vermont Casting are top of the price range, is it worth it?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

I have a egg and a Yoder ys640 smoker. I had the egg first and used it a ton. Haven't touched the egg since I got the yoder last fall. The yoder doesn't sear as well bit.i can sear on cast iron stove top....will likely get rid of the egg soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Opinions on Vermont Castings Gas BBQ's?

I am looking to upgrade the gas grill this month. The Vermont Casting are top of the price range, is it worth it?
    My old Vermont castings 3 burner propane grill was a tank. It could hit 700* even on a breezy day and the heavy lid with those enameled cast iron grates really sucked up the heat.

I think I read somewhere that they sold or changed production to China or some shit several years back and the quality was diminished as a result. Mine was outstanding though. I ran it hard for a decade and then cleaned it up and gave it to a friend when I upgraded to the bigger Weber.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Used my gas grill to 're season a couple of CI pans recently, much better done outside and the old grill was able to hold temps in spite of late winter weather.

Got both it and the Chargriller cleaned up and ready for use this year.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Now Robert, you've been posting lusty images of that pitmaker vault on this forum for like 5 years. You make decent coin, right? I know the kids college funds still need topping off but, damnit, they deserve to eat great homemade BBQ now!

So, I give you permission to place your order. No further authorization is required at this point. Just go ahead and pull the trigger. Think how many racks of baby backs you be able to fit in that dirty bastard!
    I need to quit being a bitch and man up.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Hah, your words, not mine. But yeah, that was kinda the gist of it.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I need to quit being a bitch and man up.
    The absence of your wife's butt pics are what makes you a bitch. Appease Ullr now.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Its not a grill, but a great addition to the quiver is an outdoor cooker/burner that can do 100,000 btus. A bigass burner is versatile. It can be used for turkey frys, large scale fish frys, cooking 40 ears of corn at once, shellfish boils, that extra burner to cook 15 lbs of mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving, home brewing, etc. Best of all, you can achieve wok hei, the "breath of the wok" that separates a good stir fry from the typical stir mess you make with a low temp stove burner. You can finally use a wok at the proper temperature and can cook asian food that tastes like it does at the restaurant. You can't do it in a home kitchen unless your kitchen has a jet burner and a powerful hood ventilating outside.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 03-25-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have a Webber kettle charcoal grill. Our gas grill bit the dust a while ago, haven't replaced it because the wife prefers charcoal.

Would love to have a smoker too, but don't want a cheap finicky one that has to be constantly tended to, and can't afford a nicer setup.
    Ditto here. Did the move to charcoal (Same rational) and have not moved back. Smoking in it too.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS