Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Pellet grill is pretty darn set it and forget it but I've done plenty of 12h-18h smokes on the egg with the pit controller and haven't had any concerns (or issues) with leaving it unattended overnight or for several hours during the day.

Worst problem I've encountered is my controller running out of batteries because I tried to do a long cook without putting fresh rechargeables into it causing the temp to drop.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I've smoked pork butts and briskets for over 18 hours at 225 and 250 without adding fuel. I started with a full load of lump charcoal and wood chunks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I've done plenty of 12h-18h smokes on the egg with the pit controller and haven't had any concerns (or issues) with leaving it unattended overnight or for several hours during the day.
    Well that's it, I'm sold then. Gonna get this, as it has good reviews and the comparable BGE model in Canada is more than 2x the price:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/vis...ver/1001225832

Anyone try the Weber version of a kamodo? Got good reviews at amazing ribs.com
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I don't have a fan or anything for my Egg. I just bring temps up slowly and then stabilize them. It takes me about 30 minutes to do that. The only thing I use my Egg for is long smokes.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I agree with this. How many of you with an egg and a temperature controller/fan would be comfortable leaving your house for 4 hours during a smoke, like to go on a bike ride? I definitely would not, because sometimes shit gets weird, but I have done that with a Traegar before, without any concerns.
    I have a BGE with a temp controller and I would have no problem leaving it for four hours. The whole reason I got the controller was for peace of mind for long cooks. I’ve never had any problems with it and have done many long cooks with it. It’s always been spot on when I wake up in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ok you assholes have talked me into buying a Traeger.

Pro, Ironwood, or Timberline? This will be a quiver of one. I'm not seeing a need to sell a kidney for the Timberline but I'm thinking the extra insulation on the Ironwood might be worth it for year round use? Is the "super smoke" feature helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Ok you assholes have talked me into buying a Traeger.

Pro, Ironwood, or Timberline? This will be a quiver of one. I'm not seeing a need to sell a kidney for the Timberline but I'm thinking the extra insulation on the Ironwood might be worth it for year round use? Is the "super smoke" feature helpful?
    Any reason you're going after Traeger? When I did my research a year or two back, Grilla, RecTec and a few others had better construction for lower price. I'd check out the Grilla Silverbac (I have the alpha, but I only smoke on it), RecTeq RT590 or some of the camp chef stuff. I've found the reviews here: https://amazingribs.com/grill-and-sm...l_type=pellets - to be the best look at actual performance.
    In terms of getting lots of smoke into things, really all you have to do is put your meat on the smoker when it's cold and let it catch all the smoke as it warms up. Grilla also has some algorithms that emphasize more smoke by varying the temp range more widely, and I imagine the other players are just doing the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Any reason you're going after Traeger? When I did my research a year or two back, Grilla, RecTec and a few others had better construction for lower price. I'd check out the Grilla Silverbac (I have the alpha, but I only smoke on it), RecTeq RT590 or some of the camp chef stuff. I've found the reviews here: https://amazingribs.com/grill-and-sm...l_type=pellets - to be the best look at actual performance.
    In terms of getting lots of smoke into things, really all you have to do is put your meat on the smoker when it's cold and let it catch all the smoke as it warms up. Grilla also has some algorithms that emphasize more smoke by varying the temp range more widely, and I imagine the other players are just doing the same things.
    I did a bunch if research a few years ago. Was really leaning towards the rec tec but ended up going with a Yoder 640. The construction is amazing and it's only a little more than the traegers and rec tec...got it shipped from KC to my door

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That thing is no joke.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    That thing is no joke.

Yeah, those things are tanks. A few years ago I did a deep dive into pellet grills, since I loved the convenience of a pellet smoker, but wanted to find one with a little more smoke flavor than my Green Mountain Grill. For me it came down to the Yoder 640 or the Mak 2 star. I ended up with the Mak mainly because it’s stainless steel and I have to keep it out on the deck. They are a bit pricy but I’ve been nothing but happy with it.

This seems as good of a place to ask as any. I've got an older Weber Genesis from the mid 2000s with 3 horizontal burners. I just bought and installed new burners due to one of them rusting out. I'm still having issues getting the furthest burner to stay lit. I'll kind of sputter along going out and reigniting.

I had thought that it may be a regulator issue but now I'm doubtful since the same issue will happen when that is the only burner on vs having all 3 going. Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?

BBQ Quiver Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    This seems as good of a place to ask as any. I've got an older Weber Genesis from the mid 2000s with 3 horizontal burners. I just bought and installed new burners due to one of them rusting out. I'm still having issues getting the furthest burner to stay lit. I'll kind of sputter along going out and reigniting.

I had thought that it may be a regulator issue but now I'm doubtful since the same issue will happen when that is the only burner on vs having all 3 going. Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?
    Manifold assembly?

I have a natural gas weber spirit from around 2013, also with horizontal burners, and the rotisserie kit. Haven’t had any issues with clogged burners, but if cleaning yours hasn’t fixed the problem, manifold is where I’d be looking next.

Nice equipment in this thread. A friend gave me his Masterbuilt gas smoker a couple of years back, and we rounded out our outdoor kitchen with an Ooni last summer, but clearly I am hopelessly outgunned here.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

I have the same model. I've found that I have to replace the regulator every couple of years. I usually get the OEM version locally at ACE Hardware. It isn't very expensive. I also read somewhere that uneven burners can happen if the grill isn't level. I shimmed up one side and haven't had any problems since.

Also worth mentioning that Weber has a reputation for going above and beyond to be helpful to consumers. It might be worth calling their customer service to see if someone could help troubleshoot your issue over the phone.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Be sure to post up your meat stoke here.

Smokers, grills, and BBQs. What are you cooking?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=278442

Tis the season.

Spiders are notorious for building webs in gas lines. Perhaps a can of air to blow things out?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    That thing is no joke.

Funny, I get this gravelly voice running through my head shouting 'exterminate' when I look at that thing.

sounds lie something in the line or gas leaking out somewhere, be careful scoping out a leaking gas problem
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Pellet stove died last year (it was a cheap one and I didn’t clean it out before rainy season , may have been a Freudian mistake). I’m looking to add a new smoker and (I think) a propane grill. I want something dead easy for quick grilling then a smoker. Debating between a new pellet like the Yoder, etc. and an egg / Komodo. Propane will probably be a Weber or similar. Change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Pellet stove died last year (it was a cheap one and I didn’t clean it out before rainy season , may have been a Freudian mistake). I’m looking to add a new smoker and (I think) a propane grill. I want something dead easy for quick grilling then a smoker. Debating between a new pellet like the Yoder, etc. and an egg / Komodo. Propane will probably be a Weber or similar. Change my mind.

A decent grill can do double duty as a smoker, but not vice versa. That’s all I’ve got.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Spiders are notorious for building webs in gas lines. Perhaps a can of air to blow things out?
    Can of air appears to have done the trick. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

That's my setup - Grilla Alpha/original grilla and a weber stainless (that's been going strong 15+ years). I have no take on a kamado/BGE, as I haven't cooked in one.

Currently
    Rec tec 700
    Pitboss XL
    Smokey Joe offset
    Weber Kettle
    Weber Genesis II
    Blackstone
    Rec tec B380
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Weber Summit 6 burner and Traeger Ironwood 885. Sear station and side burner are great for searing meat. Traeger is great for smoking. Anyone that tells you a Traeger can sear meat is a ding dong. I reverse sear meat all the time, but the searing is never done on the traeger. 500* isn't hot enough. I do like that I can start a long smoke, go on a bike ride, and in the middle of the ride use my phone to change the setting on the smoker or monitor the temp.

Weber and a Traeger for me.

Both brands just have ridiculous amounts of cheap spare parts readily available so you can keep them going forever if you want.

My Weber has been sitting outside for 8 years in the open in the PNW. I just put a cover on it. Replaced the ceramic flavor bars to stainless steel last year and just replaced the grates this spring. I’ll probably get another 5+ years out of it and can just keep replacing parts as needed. Love that thing.

Traeger is a neighbor’s hand me down and probably 10+ years old. It’s seasoned like a greasy caste iron skillet.