Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    The absence of your wife's butt pics are what makes you a bitch. Appease Ullr now.
    I'm a big fan.

I would suggest searching your local CL, Letgo, Offerup for BGEs that people are trying to sell. Mine is 25-30 years old and Ive rebuilt it twice. They last forever.

You will lose the lifetime guarantee but if you pick one up for 300-400 thats worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    The absence of your wife's butt pics are what makes you a bitch. Appease Ullr now.
    Oh come on now. TGR is far too erudite for such crude actions. Should do away with the Ullr thread all together... Crass.

Too many mags seemed to be offended by such filth so I discontinued that heathen behavior.

I just send pictures to this one girlfriend of hers now. Its a weird relationship.

Any who... BBQ... I hope the fat cap splitting on this pork butt evokes the same emotions. Cooked at 275 on a BGE.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Lol, nice butt!
    watch out for snakes

Anybody have or familiar w/ Rec Tec? This one in particular?
    I'm done with this Weber propane shit. Rolled my 5-6 yr old Summit out to the curb yesterday and the garbage men said they'd take it.

So I'm thinking one of the pellet grills. The Traeger's feel like flimsy dept store stuff.

Perhaps its the bull horn handles but I heard these are built like tanks.

https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-stampede/
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Never used the RecTec but I do have a Louisiana Grill and have used a Green Mountain Grill quite a bit. They are both decent, but like all of the mid level pellet smokers, the temp control is not as accurate as advertised. They’ll still put out great food, but you’ll want to monitor the temps throughout.

If I had to do it again, I’d go all in with the Mak, which seems to have the best control board and temp control. https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/mak-...SABEgK5cfD_BwE

Just gonna throw this thing out there. I picked up one a few months ago and it works. With a DigiQ it is absurdly easy to keep it within +/- 3 degrees. So far my longest smoke is 8 hours but I only used half the charcoal and it wasn't even a full load to begin with. Not bad for less than $300.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Grille...-Grill/3609214

I can see wanting a larger size but I fit 2 racks of ribs and a ~10lb butt on there no problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58890161025__AE988339-6580-47D0-9427-D9AEB9E8BA4C.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	297722

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Bump. Anyone fondled the new Weber pellet grill?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5AtkLOD...d=nf9ynfcqnioa

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

We've got one of these beasts. Used it a only a couple of times though. Been sitting under a tarp in the back yard for about 10 years now. I wonder if it's still sound? Maybe I'll take a look in the spring and roast another pig if it's still good,\
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Pulled the trigger on a new smoker last week. So far so good.

Name:	IMG_0944.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	318865

Name:	IMG_0967.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	318866

Can someone talk me into/outof throwing down $1k+ on a kamado grill?

Current sitch:
    -have a gas grill (weber genesis) that I can basically do anything on. I smoke pork shoulders, briskets, whatever, with ease. I have this pretty dialled-in.
    -had a napoleon smoker (same as weber smoky mtn.) that I used a few times but it to me seemed not worth it. Was a bitch to keep up to temp (10+ lumps every hour), messy, and while things were good coming off of it, they just weren't good enough to me to justify the PITA vs. gas grilling.

Now, I was recently at a party and the dude was making some steaks on his kamado. If it does everything he says it does, I think I'm sold. But I want to know what the Smartest People On The Internet™ have to say about such matters first.

Is a ceramic grill "easy?" Like can you quickly get it up to temp? Easy to dial-in the temps? How long does the temp hold, and how often does more fuel need to be added? If you have a kamado-style grill and a gas grill, how often do you use either?

Should I, shouldn't I? What say ye, beasts of the BBQ?

KJ Classic II owner here...

What's the objective exactly? Sure, steaks are great on a kamado, but you can make A+ steaks with an oven and cast iron. I wouldn't buy one with that as the sole gain.

If you want to make pizzas, it's excellent. 700+ degrees and great wood fired flavor. If you want to smoke butts, ribs and brisket, it's excellent. It will hold a steady temp ( +/- 3 degrees) for 12+ hours easy, even on those cold and windy days. For standard veggies + proteins right on the grates, it does the job. I'm really intrigued by the wok insert, but have yet to try it.

Answering your other questions, and some general comments:
    *I plan on 20-30 minutes to get to my desired temp. I use a looflighter (don't use your wife's hairdryer) to get it started. Open every vent 100% and start throttling down when you are 50-75 degrees from your target temp. If you're using heat deflectors, you will need these in the right position or the temp will stall.
    *Buy the best lump charcoal you can. Never compromise.
    *Every few months, burn off all fuel at max temp, disassemble and vacuum all crevices. Keep it clean.
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 04-20-2022 at 07:43 AM.

I have a BGE, pretty much the same. I've done a few multi hour smokes both cold (summer sausage, snack sticks, pastrami) and hot smokes (tri tip, etc) as well as grilled steaks, burgers, made pizza, etc. Using good lump, you can get one long smoke out of one fill up + wood chunks for smoke. Usually takes about 20-30 for the charcoal to be ready, then if I'm doing the hot stuff (steaks, burgs, etc), closing the lid and leaving the vent wide open and the top wide open, it will hit 4-500 pretty fast. I usually give it an hour of prep time before cooking. Same with cold smoke. It's a little finicky to get used to the temp regulation, but once you've figured it out, its really nice. I run a cheapo two probe bluetooth thermo from amazon, so I can keep checking my phone while working from home minor adjustments to air vents are needed, but you can do a 4-6 hour smoke on one batch of fuel no problem. I've never attempted the big 18-20+ hour smokes as I'm almost exclusively cooking wild game and not big briskets or butts.

I love mine.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Can someone talk me into/outof throwing down $1k+ on a kamado grill?

Current sitch:
    -have a gas grill (weber genesis) that I can basically do anything on. I smoke pork shoulders, briskets, whatever, with ease. I have this pretty dialled-in.
    -had a napoleon smoker (same as weber smoky mtn.) that I used a few times but it to me seemed not worth it. Was a bitch to keep up to temp (10+ lumps every hour), messy, and while things were good coming off of it, they just weren't good enough to me to justify the PITA vs. gas grilling.

Now, I was recently at a party and the dude was making some steaks on his kamado. If it does everything he says it does, I think I'm sold. But I want to know what the Smartest People On The Internet™ have to say about such matters first.

Is a ceramic grill "easy?" Like can you quickly get it up to temp? Easy to dial-in the temps? How long does the temp hold, and how often does more fuel need to be added? If you have a kamado-style grill and a gas grill, how often do you use either?

Should I, shouldn't I? What say ye, beasts of the BBQ?
    Are you looking to make smoking easy? If that’s the main goal, I’d consider a pellet grill. I have a Green Mountain Grills Davey Crockett and it’s almost as easy to smoke something in that as it is to bake something in the oven. Just turn it on and set the temperature. Can monitor it and adjust it through your phone, so don’t even need to hang around it at all, except for very long cooks where you may need to refill the pellets.

If doing it again I’d probably go to the next size up, but no complaints with the way it works or the cooking results.

I have a gas grill, a KJ, and a Traeger. The grill is for normal meals. The Traeger is for smoking without thinking about it much. The egg is for cooking or smoking when I want to enjoy the process. Searing, smoking, pizza, etc while enjoying a good bourbon or a couple beers. I won the KJ at work and a guy gave me the not working Traeger that I rehabbed. If I had to to spend the money that some of these cost, I'd get a nicer pellet grill that I could smoke on and use that. The egg is certainly fun though.

The egg with a pit controller is similar to sous vide. Super low temp variation over virtually any duration. Very repeatable results. It's good at other stuff too like searing and whatnot but it really excels at low and slow.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

The pellet grills are far easier to use than an Egg in my opinion.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

BBQ Quiver Discussion

My current quiver consists of a Weber gasser, Camp Chef pellet burner and a Slow n Sear kettle. Don’t own a BGE, but have cooked on my brothers quite a bit. The Weber is used for quick mid week meals. Pretty nice to crank on the gas and be cooking 10 minutes later. Love the pellet grill. Truly fire and forget. Made some amazing meals on that thing. That said, like with all pellet grills, the smoke profile is really mild. The kettle is just plain fun to fiddle with. Great for shorter (sub 8 hour) smokes and reverse seared streaks. I use it mostly on the weekends when I have time to babysit it. Where I think the BGE excels is in very long, slow cooks. If you do lots of brisket/pork shoulder, hard to beat a ceramic kamado. Those things will maintain rock steady temps for 12 plus hours on a single load of charcoal. Potential downside…If you don’t pay attention, it is easy to overshoot your temps and next to impossible to correct if you do. All of that ceramic is very insulating …for better or worse.

Not really answering your question but something is not right here…. A WSM is pretty set and forget for how simple it is. I’m always amazed at how well engineered it is, there is some sort of magic going on with the shape and proportions of the chamber…. Depending on setup, I can run mine for 8+hours @ 250, 6+ hours @ 150, or 3+ hours @ 350, without really touching it. You have to use formed briquettes, not lump though….

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ripvw View Post
    My current quiver consists of a Weber gasser, Camp Chef pellet burner and a Slow n Sear kettle. Don’t own a BGE, but have cooked on my brothers quite a bit. The Weber is used for quick mid week meals. Pretty nice to crank on the gas and be cooking 10 minutes later. Love the pellet grill. Truly fire and forget. Made some amazing meals on that thing. That said, like with all pellet grills, the smoke profile is really mild. The kettle is just plain fun to fiddle with. Great for shorter (sub 8 hour) smokes and reverse seared streaks. I use it mostly on the weekends when I have time to babysit it. Where I think the BGE excels is in very long, slow cooks. If you do lots of brisket/pork shoulder, hard to beat a ceramic kamado. Those things will maintain rock steady temps for 12 plus hours on a single load of charcoal. Potential downside…If you don’t pay attention, it is easy to overshoot your temps and next to impossible to correct if you do. All of that ceramic is very insulating …for better or worse.
    Im not sure I’d consider my pellet smoker to make food with a ‘really mild’ smoke profile. I’m sure it varies by model.

I have an insulating cover on mine and it’s small, which I -think- may help create more smoke, allowing a smoldering smoky burn instead of a higher heat cleaner burn of the pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Not really answering your question but something is not right here…. A WSM is pretty set and forget for how simple it is. I’m always amazed at how well engineered it is, there is some sort of magic going on with the shape and proportions of the chamber…. Depending on setup, I can run mine for 8+hours @ 250, 6+ hours @ 150, or 3+ hours @ 350, without really touching it. You have to use formed briquettes, not lump though….

I'd disagree with this, mostly due to the lump factor. I notice a significant taste difference between industrial briquettes and proper lump, but maintaining temp is probably 5x the work.
    That's why my quiver is now my old Weber Genesis Silver (stainless regular propane grill) and a Grilla smoker (original grilla). Pellet smoking is easy-peasy and comes out great every time. I notice maybe 2-5% falloff in flavor compared to WSM with high maintenance, but the tradeoff in time investment is more than worth it.
    If you get a pellet, a few notes:
    1. Buy good smoking pellets
    2. ALWAYS EMPTY THE PELLET HOPPER AFTER SMOKING. If not they fuse into a giant mass you have to clean out with any level of moisture. Very obnoxious. probably not an issue for west coasters, but sucks here in new england.

BBQ Quiver Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Im not sure I’d consider my pellet smoker to make food with a ‘really mild’ smoke profile. I’m sure it varies by model.

I have an insulating cover on mine and it’s small, which I -think- may help create more smoke, allowing a smoldering smoky burn instead of a higher heat cleaner burn of the pellets.
    It’s all relative I guess. I just know food cooked on my pellet grill has considerably less smoke flavor than the same meal cooked on the kettle with chunks of hardwood. I’ve cooked on or had food from most popular brands of pellet grills and the differences are really small. Depending on your preferences the lighter smoke can be a good thing. I know lots of folks that use a smoke tube in their pellet grills to bump up the smoke profile.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvw View Post
    It’s all relative I guess. I just know food cooked on my pellet grill has considerably less smoke flavor than the same meal cooked on the kettle with chunks of hardwood. I’ve cooked on or had food from most popular brands of pellet grills and the differences are really small. Depending on your preferences the lighter smoke can be a good thing. I know lots of folks that use a smoke tube in their pellet grills to bump up the smoke profile.
    I’m not going to argue too vociferously about it, since I only have experience with this one pellet grill, and a lot of it is going to be personal preference.

I do have a smoke tube that I use when I want to cold smoke, mostly cheese. Never felt the need to use it to add extra smoke when hot smoking, but it would be very simple to use it at the start of the cook in a pellet grill to get some more smoke if desired.

I've had a Large BGE for 10 years.

Getting up to a high temperature quickly depends on how you choose to start the charcoal. Using a paraffin wax starter takes a while versus a blow torch. I haven't found it taking any longer than regular grill.

I found keeping a steady temperature within 10 degrees either way isn't that hard once you get your airflow dialed in. It helps to have a good seal at the lid and keeping the bottom vent out of direct wind. You can purchase a temperature controller. Even the cheaper ones work well.

I've smoked pork butts and briskets for over 18 hours at 225 and 250 without adding fuel. I started with a full load of lump charcoal and wood chunks. At higher temps I probably would have had to add fuel.

I no longer have a gas grill, but if I still had one I'd probably only use it to sear my sous vide steaks as starting my BGE for searing a steak one minute on each side feels like a waste.

I use my BGE every week even in the winter. I like that is much easier to keep and maintain temps in the winter compared to a metal grill. I am using less charcoal than I used to especially when BBQing.

A couple other thoughts. I've smoked a pork belly (for bacon) at 185 degrees for four hours without issue and can bury my thermometer (900 degrees) for steaks. I noticed my firebox was cracked last year when cleaning it out. The store I bought my BGE was sold and is no longer an authorized dealer so I went a different authorized retailer and was able to email them pictures of the cracked firebox and a copy of my original receipt and they warrantied my firebox. It took about 4 to 6 weeks to get a new firebox in stock for pick-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    The pellet grills are far easier to use than an Egg in my opinion.
    I agree with this. How many of you with an egg and a temperature controller/fan would be comfortable leaving your house for 4 hours during a smoke, like to go on a bike ride? I definitely would not, because sometimes shit gets weird, but I have done that with a Traegar before, without any concerns.