Regular skis with skin notches???

Does the presence of notches for skins imply the ski was specifically designed with touring in mind (lighter)?

Head's all-mountain Monster TI series have notches for touring, as does Stockli's Stormrider 88, as does Kastle's FX series, etc. Think most of Fischer's stuff too.

I was interested in some of those skis but am not interested in getting a ski which was designed for touring.

What's the take-home point here? That they are touring skis, or that european companies put on touring skin notches by default?

Who the f*** tours on a Head Monster 83 TI? Why?

these are all stiff skis that rip.

you should also look into at the soul 7 by rossignol

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    Does the presence of notches for skins imply the ski was specifically designed with touring in mind (lighter)?

Head's all-mountain Monster TI series have notches for touring, as does Stockli's Stormrider 88, as does Kastle's FX series, etc. Think most of Fischer's stuff too.

I was interested in some of those skis but am not interested in getting a ski which was designed for touring.

What's the take-home point here? That they are touring skis, or that european companies put on touring skin notches by default?

Who the f*** tours on a Head Monster 83 TI? Why?
    I think those are called "marketing notches", since every Tom, Dick, and Harry thinks they are going to start touring but never do.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I think those are called "marketing notches", since every Tom, Dick, and Harry thinks they are going to start touring but never do.
    I don't know you but I think we could be friends. I swear I spend more time not selling stuff and educating people about bc gear.
    "I'm thinking of touring" is the start to many, many conversations.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

ya think they are more or less to capture any "BC" angle a company can bc that is the highest growth in that mkt
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I don't know you but I think we could be friends. I swear I spend more time not selling stuff and educating people about bc gear.
    Good on you!

I was at Alta earlier this year and observed two (I don't want to be rude but don't know how else to say it) very out of shape ladies pulling gear from their car with a California license plate. It was full on matching uber light skis, tech pin bindings, and boots. It was pretty obvious they were beginners just from watching them put their gear together, figure out how to carry skis, etc.

I thought, "how sad that some schmuck took them for a lot of money on gear they won't use". However, the flip side may have been that they were insistent on light touring gear and the salesperson said, "okay then". I don't envy you having to deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    "okay then".
    A polite way of saying "game on, sucker"

The first year the Salomon/Atomic Guardian Bindings were released our shop sold out of every pair we could get our hands on. We probably sold over 125- 150 pairs that year, and over 200 pairs of boots with walk mode, but yet only 25 pair of skins.....

Probably cheaper to just stock and spec one style of tail cap/spacer for all your non twin skis, and it might as well have a skin clip notch because it doesn’t cost anymore to make, design or stock and folks like them. Skis aren’t spaceships. Not everything is bespoke engineering for its pure intended use. Don’t think to deep about them.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Probably cheaper to just stock and spec one style of tail cap/spacer for all your non twin skis, and it might as well have a skin clip notch because it doesn’t cost anymore to make, design or stock and folks like them.
    ^^^ this.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    "Well, think again!"

There should be a ski test before you’re allowed to buy touring gear.

My FIS legal Fischer RC4 World Cup GS skis have a little "skin notch" cutout at the tail. I'm confident Fischer didn't include that feature to make the skis tourable, and it's also not there to save money on tail spacers. No idea what the actual benefit is supposed to be - maybe something about increasing effective edge while shortening the base? Either way, those skis are both the narrowest and heaviest in my garage.

^^Imagine how much heavier they would be without the removal of a portion of the tail cap.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang