Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    lol, ya.

re: The Willows, yes it's great, but it's not in the city of subd00d excitement. The ferry only goes once per hour (on top of the 30 mins from town each way), adds $20 to the already very expensive evening, and I can walk from my house to anywhere downtown, so no worries about drinking. It's basically a special occasions only place.
    Are you actually trying to infer that it's easier to get around Seattle than Bellingham?

;-)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

ha ha, gawd no.

Although this year we actually have a "rush hour" on some of the arterials. But it doesn't last an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Just got back from getting called up to the mothership in seattle.
    Ate at the Whale Wins my last night there. One of best dining experiences I've had in a while. But they have to educate you on min wage issue and they add a service fee since they had to raise all their prices. I came to eat and enjoy good food, wine and company, not get bummed out learning about your poorly paid kitchen staff.
    And right across the street is Manolin which is even better. Or head to Art of the table or Kamonegi up the street.

Buster, you generally have to head to the neighborhoods for the best dining as it doesn't exist in downtown or slu.

Kamonegi and Kedai Makan are both on our "to try" list. Small/tough to get in though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Buster, you generally have to...
    This isn't going to go well for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Compare Portland or SF for food and restaurants, let alone LA.

I just don't see Seattle in the same league for restaurants as these cities and I'd be amazed if anyone with that sort of broad view would.

No, I wouldn't want to live in any of those cities at least because the skiing is better here. But that doesn't justify inflating the restaurant scene here to be better than those cities.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Shit never does. Am I supposed to change? Like I don't know the city?

Kamonegi and Kedai Makan are both on our "to try" list. Small/tough to get in though.
    Still haven't been to kedai makan since they moved into a real space. Did lots of drunk sidewalk consumption when they were in the little walk up closet next to Montana.

Pioneer Square area today has the same vibe as the vibe I felt walking in NYC in 1979. Drugs, homeless, panhandlers, hookers, pimps and drug dealers. I'd see them all when I walked from the train station to 7th Ave for sales meetings. It eventually got cleaned up with a program to incarcerate tens of thousands for minor crimes. Ruined 1,000,000 lives. Bloomberg just offered an apology for the way he did it. Local radio host law and order tough guy Doryi Monson, has suggested that the homeless be beaten with a stick. He's still on the air with an audience so times don't change in some ways.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Ha, yeah I have gathered that buster is a bit of a food curmudgeon and has a few decades of seattle experience under his belt. But the restaurant scene is ever-changing in the various hoods and is pretty good overall..gotta live amongst it and not in the boonies to realistically keep up I would think, just my opinion.

And yes, there are better food cities than here, no doubt.

Seattle is dying

Any restaurant of decent reputation at peak hour has been noisy in seattle proper for as long as I can remember but I’ve only really been dining in it for 15 years. The 5 previous years involved incidental meals paired with whatever hooch I chucked down my booze ditch. I still have my seattle favorites and know I will often times pay a spacial and auditory penalty, although the downstairs at Harvest Vine is still quiet compared to the kennel-like atmosphere upstairs.

I won’t compare one city to another but we are lucky to have some gems that are more tucked away if you are willing to travel. I had a meal on Orcas this summer by a Beard nominee, great place in Leavenworth of all places, Mana, Cafe Jaunita is a drive for me but I don’t find that atmosphere overbearing, etc etc. And not being a Saturday at 8pm warrior helps. A stop in for early simple grub at Westward at 5:30 is quiet or I can walk up to Ma’ono for good calm eats just about anytime. It’s what you make it and I don’t find any one particular generalization compelling.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Pioneer Square area today has the same vibe as the vibe I felt walking in NYC in 1979. Drugs, homeless, panhandlers, hookers, pimps and drug dealers. I'd see them all when I walked from the train station to 7th Ave for sales meetings. It eventually got cleaned up with a program to incarcerate tens of thousands for minor crimes. Ruined 1,000,000 lives. Bloomberg just offered an apology for the way he did it. Local radio host law and order tough guy Doryi Monson, has suggested that the homeless be beaten with a stick. He's still on the air with an audience so times don't change in some ways.
    Guiliani, not Bloomberg, cleaned up NYC.

Pioneer Square area today has the same vibe as the vibe I felt walking in NYC in 1979. Drugs, homeless, panhandlers, hookers, pimps and drug dealers.
    That same vibe is coming back to NYC now. Seattle, here we come.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Guiliani, not Bloomberg, cleaned up NYC.
    Most big cities in America cleaned up at that time. Guiliani just happened to be mayor at the time.
    The most likely cause is that when leaded gasoline was banned, we stopped turning kids into violent crime-bots. It took 15 years to work through the system as the lead-brain kids aged out of the violent years.
    U.P.: up

Quote Originally Posted by stradissimo View Post
    The most likely cause is that when leaded gasoline was banned, we stopped turning kids into violent crime-bots.
    Now we just do it with opioids and heroin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Now we just do it with opioids and heroin.
    and gluten.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    That same vibe is coming back to NYC now. Seattle, here we come.
    whats new york without under-age handjobs in toll plazas, right timba?

ha ha, gawd no.

Although this year we actually have a "rush hour" on some of the arterials. But it doesn't last an hour.
    My wife works in Bellingham frequently and she maintains that getting from our house in North Seattle to Bellingham takes roughly the same time as it does to get to a job in downtown Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    whats new york without under-age handjobs in toll plazas, right timba?
    For fucks sake, if you're gonna keep bringing it up, get it right. It was a blowjob at the Port Authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    For fucks sake, if you're gonna keep bringing it up, get it right. It was a blowjob at the Port Authority.
    No need to get so defensive of your "that guy" position around here - the benny & pio jokes will be automated by bot soon, you'll have to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    My wife works in Bellingham frequently and she maintains that getting from our house in North Seattle to Bellingham takes roughly the same time as it does to get to a job in downtown Seattle.
    Ive probably mentioned this before but I used to live on QA and had an office in Mad Park, Bellevue and one in Snohomish. QA to Snohomish was always quicker than to Bellevue, on par at times with Mad Park.

Definitely a problem. If you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem, IMO. Stay tuned for info about the "Lot 4 to Camp 4" wool sock campaign.

What really sucks about Seattle is that what we were warned about over and over has come true. The move to a $15/hour wage caused all the restaurants to close just as predicted. It's a barren, foodless wasteland. Right.

Good that the news doesn't report about highway accidents anymore. The call them what they are, "crashes". Very few road wrecks are accidental.
    The only restaurants that closed were the generic big conglomerate shitty ones that were bound to go under anyways. Shitty pre cooked food in a big open space with a great tap list doesnt always work out even when backed by big money

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

All those talking shit on Seattle cuisine should remember that Red Robin started in Seattle. Home of the bottomless fries and everyone’s favorite dining establishment if in the 3-16yr old crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    All those talking shit on Seattle cuisine should remember that Red Robin started in Seattle. Home of the bottomless fries and everyone’s favorite dining establishment if in the 3-16yr old crowd.
    Or my 85 year old M-I-L.
    Hmmm, need to head back to Café Juanita.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Man glad not to have to hit RR for kids bdays anymore. After they closed the one by Univ bridge it was more mall trips to hell.
    Move upside and let the man go through...