Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23
Results 551 to 575 of 575
  1. #551
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wet and Mild
    Posts
    4,628
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    That's the proper response to PNWbrit, he's not worth your time.
    That's a call to arms for the PNW circle jerk crew.
    Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you.

  2. #552
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,708
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post



    You can't have it both ways
    Actually I can, because it’s a super huge, complex superstructure of social problems that does very much indeed stem from both a lack of options for odd ill-fitting eccentric people to escape society and live on their own terms without bothering others and the breakdown of traditional societal structures (large agrarian families, churches, community policing, etc) geared toward caring for odd, ill-fitting eccentric people who have to exist in civilization now that there’s no decent escape available to them.
    It is what it is...and it’s both things and it involves plenty of other dynamics as well.

  3. #553
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    6,980
    I believe it's crazy for the homeless. Only the rich are allowed to be eccentric.

  4. #554
    mtngirl79 is online now accidentally awesome at times
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Land of Subdued Excitement
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    About what? The one night census count of homeless in Seattle was 11,634. The amount spent on homelessness in Seattle was $1.06B. Do the math. The economic impact of the homeless on a per capita basis is $91k. For $91k per person, more effective methods of dealing with the issue should be sought, not the least of which is doing a better job of coordinating services between all those providing aid in order to provide services more expeditiously and cost effectively.
    Did you read the article? Most of the budget is spent on housing for those that use to be homeless or would be homeless without help and preventing new cases of homelessness.

    Those people arent counted because they have homes.

    The "counts" are under reported because its super hard to count everyone, plus its just that particular time... many more people experience homelessness in a year.

    Yet, you are still quoting your wildly inaccurate number because it suits your narative.

  5. #555
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    35
    I'm local and moved to the Kitsap area (just across the water) because of a significant increase in killings, woundings, and gunfire too close for comfort. Gangs have taken over many parts of South Seattle but what's new. Three years of having the most construction cranes erected in the entire U.S. reveals the unabated growth issue. Money is pushing out many long-term citizens who paid their taxes and contributed positively to their communities but can no longer afford it. Mayor talking about charging people to drive through downtown....wonder when she expects complete gridlock for anyone going through on the I-5 Interstate? Charge them too? Yeah, it went from something nice to it's new norm, a craphole but who ya gonna blame. It is a multi-faceted problem with tangled and deep roots. Not much political will to do the right things either but most of the Seattle City Council are leaving office after their tenure. Probably to milk the private industry some more and "consult" their way to success.

  6. #556
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,828
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    because it’s a super huge, complex superstructure of social problems
    Yes it is.. but yelling "overpopulation" and an agrarian lifestyle being the answer is pretty simplistic.

    Fuck you back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  7. #557
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,708
    Are you trolling? I never said it's an answer. Are you in some weird situation, yourself, where any time somebody describes a problem it's assumed they're hinting at an implied solution?

    You're the one assuming I'm over here figuring we can go back 1000 years of population explosion. I don't figure that.

    In fact, what I figure is that we're fucked....this is one symptom among many of how we're all ratfucked. We're in a situation where Earth has enough to support this many human beings living crowded unhealthy stressful lives. It doesn't have enough to support this many human beings living natural, comfortable, fulfilling lives.

    JFC dude.

  8. #558
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    5,103
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Did you read the article? Most of the budget is spent on housing for those that use to be homeless or would be homeless without help and preventing new cases of homelessness.

    Those people arent counted because they have homes.

    The "counts" are under reported because its super hard to count everyone, plus its just that particular time... many more people experience homelessness in a year.

    Yet, you are still quoting your wildly inaccurate number because it suits your narative.
    $155M on housing AND shelters (not homes). Of $1.06B, 15% on housing and shelters. $746M spent by non-profits in undefined ways. But it's safe to assume much of that is for shelters, again, those aren't homes. They are just part of the overall process.

    The rest of your post is rhetoric and not bounded by statistics so not worthy of further debate. I'm out of time for now.

  9. #559
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,375
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    That's a call to arms for the PNW circle jerk crew.
    PNW crew is pretty dam solid; many good posters from there. Only a couple rude people.

  10. #560
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    6,980
    Overpopulation, you say? No solution, you say?


  11. #561
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Two gated communities featuring landscaped grounds, full restaurant, gym, on-site laundry, and community playing fields. Behold the spectacular ocean views from many of the units at the Anderson Pond location, or enjoy the natural seclusion of our Butterworth Reservoir property, where you can take nature walks along the perimeter of the grounds in complete safety due to our wildlife-proof fencing.

    Notable former guests include Charles Manson, Mickey Cohen, Robert "Birdman of Alcatraz" Stroud, and former Ku Klux Klan Imperial Wizard Samuel Bowers.
    That sounds very enticing, but then again I live in NJ. I think oftpiste could sell a ton of these.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  12. #562
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    35,129
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'd say the reason homeless people congregate in big cities is that these are the most hospitable places for them.
    wandering around Hawaii would give one this notion for sure. Honolulu homeless is totally out in the open and packed around the congested areas. around the outer islands, the homeless are much more secluded and tend to be isolated in much smaller numbers.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  13. #563
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    35,129
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    PNW crew is pretty dam solid; many good posters from there. Only a couple rude people.
    i feel like i check both boxes here
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  14. #564
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,570
    Guess it's more than just Seattle - ouch

    https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...601-story.html
    Rats at the police station, filth on L.A. streets — scenes from the collapse of a city that’s lost control








  15. #565
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    5,103
    More on the impacts to downtown Seattle with regard to the homeless population. This isn't what they should be striving for.

    https://www.seattlebusinessmag.com/t..._jNaMJs2Le4ENw

  16. #566
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    9,430

    Seattle is dying

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    This isn't what they should be striving for.https://www.seattlebusinessmag.com/t..._jNaMJs2Le4ENw
    "Industry growth is unprecedented."

    "Nine straight years of growth."

    "The largest hotel in the Pacific Northwest just opened."

    Your article sure makes it sound like Seatlle is dying.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  17. #567
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    5,065
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    PNW crew is pretty dam solid; many good posters from there. Only a couple rude people.
    Ya PNW people are pretty nice. With the exception of Brit who's obviously a savage.

  18. #568
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    35,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Your article sure makes it sound like Seatlle is dying.
    the article made shit up too. there is no burke gilman trail from capital hill to queen anne and no elementary school kids ride their bikes from capital hill to queen anne
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  19. #569
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Summit North
    Posts
    4,350
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i feel like i check both boxes here
    Little column A,
    little column B
    Alpental Indigenous

  20. #570
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    9,430
    Fighter jets over a dying city.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1754.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	290166


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  21. #571
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    5,103
    Ah...must be Sea-Fair weekend. How're the boat races?

  22. #572
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Fighter jets over a dying city.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1754.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	290166


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Were you in town?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  23. #573
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,828
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/o...g-seattle.html

    "Businesses are resentful of homeless drug users discarding needles on sidewalks and using bushes as toilets. A television documentary released this spring, “Seattle Is Dying,” captured the frustration of residents; some would prefer to see the police cart drug users off to jail to get them out of the way.

    “It isn’t as easy as I thought to create a sensible drug policy,” Satterberg admitted to me. But he remains confident that his path, if not easy, will work better than simply throwing people in jail.

    As I see it, the problem is that while Seattle has done an outstanding job halting the war on drugs, it hasn’t done well in financing the war on addiction. It closed the law enforcement toolbox without fully opening the public health toolbox."
    Dan Satterburg needs to go. And no the answer isn't just throwing people in jail... but his answer isn't the right one either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  24. #574
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ...and trauma (which you alluded to above).

    The guy who runs our shelter here in B'ham said something along the lines of they didn’t become homeless from running out of money, they became homeless from running out of relationships.

    Even though homelessness is a misnomer, I don't think it's necessarily a bad one. Another local guy who runs HomesNow! says that getting people into a stable environment is the first step toward mental/emotional stability.

    It's tough to have dignity when the rest of society views you as subhuman.

    When does this local guy want homes?

  25. #575
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    seatown
    Posts
    3,234
    i watched a deal go down right in front of a parked cop last night. gas station at 23rd and cherry. cop looked right at it while i was pumping gas.

    i need a side gig

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •