Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    i know you don’t want change

but nothing is ever what it used to be

grab the rope, hoist yourself up

and drift like ants, in hole’s water
    Exactly. Nothing remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    Londonistan has changed, but in a different way.
    Classy.. same youtuber is also hosting a documentary entitled "Waffen SS they fought for Europe".

before the edit anyway.... original was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mxshAhJtw
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Most of it consisted of bemoaning how Microsoft and Starbucks had already ruined it... Early editions no doubt said the same about the Gold Rush, Logging, Boeing.....
    First edition was an oral guidebook in Lushootseed. nothing stays the same; but changes benefit some groups more than others.

one thing that isn't dying is "XYZ liberal city is dying" viral media.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Classy.. same youtuber is also hosting a documentary entitled "Waffen SS they fought for Europe".

before the edit anyway.... original was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mxshAhJtw
    Shoot the messenger. Give us your take on what has changed in London why doncha =ANYWAYS You brought up London,not me. This is about Seattle and that documentary produced by a local Seattle news channel.

Shoot the messenger.
    Good people on both sides argument?

Give us your take on what has changed in London why doncha
    Where your Nazi friend's film was taken has been like a middle eastern neighborhood for decades. Where I'm from in London had been a neighborhod of Caribbean immigrants for even longer... there are areas of london that are Jewish there were ones that were Huguenot French. People from all over the world have always lived there.in large numbers. The recent changes in that regard I notice most are more Europeans in London.

Vast amounts of new construction particularly the skyscrapers in the city center mean the character of the city has changed massively, that really gets my equilibrium off whack... does even when I see a modern London skyline in a movie. It's even busier, more crowded than it was, Big new infrastructure projects... a new bridge across the Thames right where my office view was.

You brought up London,not me. This is about Seattle and that documentary produced by a local Seattle news channel.
    The problems pointed out in it are not unique to Seattle.

London also has a similar homelessness issue.. caused by similar things as here and causing similar problems.

The urban decay and general lawlessness that is tolerated is pretty shocking, and that's from someone who grew up with plenty of gunfire in Chicago. There's an attitude as if it's a badge of honor of a 'real city' to have junkies and petty crime or something. Property crime rate here is ridiculously high compared to other US cities. Just got another email about needles on the school playground today.

I step over needles to get in my car every day. Junkies like to use the corner of my parking garage. The bright orange caps make them easy to see luckily.

mtngirl79 is online now accidentally awesome at times
    Many of the homeless are a result of the opiate crisis so the entities responsible there need to step up.

We have the same problem in Bellingham.

I would like to see them get very tough on crime as well as anti loitering and camping in parks/on sidewalks and illegally parked RV shitholes while at the same time beefing up the options for drug treatment, mental health treatment, housing programs, etc.

People either get with a program and stop being a nuisance or they go to jail.

Our jail is full, though. People laugh at the police here because they know they arent going to jail unless the do something big.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I step over needles to get in my car every day. Junkies like to use the corner of my parking garage. The bright orange caps make them easy to see luckily.
    It's not just Seattle the horrendous overcrowding and conditions in the tent cities and shelters in Seattle have pushed this out to neighborhoods, and cities.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Many of the homeless are a result of the opiate crisis so the entities responsible there need to step up.

I would like to see them get very tough on crime as well as anti loitering and camping in parks/on sidewalks and illegally parked RV shitholes while at the same time beefing up the options for drug treatment, mental health treatment, housing programs, etc.

Our jail is full, though. People laugh at the police here because they know they arent going to jail unless the do something big.
    There is always a one way bus ticket to some nice Red state like Texas or Arizona. In our town the cops just drive them over the bridge and say don't come back. EZ peezy, no homeless people. But it is a small town.

^still a sad amount of needles on the beach (in the ice plant area) in Coronado

The millennial hipster “homeless” annoy the shit out of me though.

Holding the signs asking for weed money smoking cigarettes and using a cell phone. God Bless.

The millennial hipster “homeless” annoy the shit out of me though.

Holding the signs asking for weed money smoking cigarettes and using a cell phone. God Bless.
    WTF, this is a thing?
    Alpental Indigenous
    Member PNWFSC

I would like to see them get very tough on crime
    NYC did that in the late 70's. Tough on crime, lock them up. No more junkies at Grand Central for me to trip over. Worked for a while. Now the jails are still full and few were helped. Did more damage than the benefit. Money is always the answer or the excuse. I see a connection in someone worth $100 billion not paying any state income tax and the dead baby that was found in the tent camp 15. miles from his "house". You just can't collect enough in "sin taxes" to make it work at some level.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    WTF, this is a thing?
    It is. I work in the U District and they are all over. Chain wallet type usually with a dog.

Makes sense to me. Begging is hard work.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

usually with a dog.
    They should have sent to the farm in Chile.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79

I would like to see them get very tough on crime
    MAGA tough?
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    I found this very interesting and amazing, and not surprising.

I lived on the streets during the mid to late 90's in Eugene OR (I was doing the ascetic mystic thing, and renounced worldiness). Back then I saw cops as the big mean dog people would sic on you if they didn't like the way you looked (even if you did nothing to deserve it). It was understood that this would happen if you made a nuisance of yourself, and pushed on the comfort zones of normal people. Even the hard core drunks who drank Cisco, knew enough to stumble from one out-of-sight spot to another, and not stay there very long, or the cops would come.

This situation baffles me, a rich city where prosecutors are releasing violent offenders, and dealers of hard drugs, it doesn't track with my experience. However, it is not surprising that a city that allows people to hold three grams of hard drugs without threat of arrest, and allow junkies to use the drugs in plain sight, would have all the problems described.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

<Anecdote1>
    I worked at my dad's business during summers as a teenager. Going home after work took us through Portland's skid road area. I can still remember driving through there one day when Dad hollered "pull over right now". He jumped out and told me to wait. He went over to a really scruffy-assed stumbling bum and started talking to him. They conversed for a while, Dad reached into his wallet and gave him some $$$, they shook hands and he came back. When I asked "who the hell was that?" he said "that's Einer Bay. I worked in the woods with him 20 years ago. He was one hell of a hook tender (lead man on a logging crew) until his wife ran off with another guy. He got into the bottle and never came back. Sad fuckin' situation".
    </anecdote1>

<Anecdote2>
    My daughter was a nurse in the Arizona penal system for several years. In her experience most of the inmates are mentally ill, and were homeless before their current stay in the joint. It becomes a revolving door - they self-medicate, make a bad decision, get locked up, can't get a job or a place to live afterward because they are mentally ill ex-cons, so they make another bad choice and end up back in the joint. Rinse and repeat
    </anecdote2>

My point - too many people see homelessness and addiction as a moral failure. IMV it's a societal failure - too many homeless are self medicating their mental illness (such as vets with PTSD), or made a bad decision from which they couldn't recover, or a fast-changing economy and the skyrocketing cost of housing across the Pacific time zone forced them into camping out. You can't export the problem. We spend more on military shit than the rest of the world combined, but we can't seem to find the will or resources to get these folks off the streets.
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    There is always a one way bus ticket to some nice Red state like Texas or Arizona. In our town the cops just drive them over the bridge and say don't come back. EZ peezy, no homeless people. But it is a small town.
    It's the other way around. B'ham is a destination.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    My point - too many people see homelessness and addiction as a moral failure. IMV it's a societal failure - too many homeless are self medicating their mental illness (such as vets with PTSD), or made a bad decision from which they couldn't recover, or a fast-changing economy and the skyrocketing cost of housing across the Pacific time zone forced them into camping out. You can't export the problem. We spend more on military shit than the rest of the world combined, but we can't seem to find the will or resources to get these folks off the streets.
    Bullseye.

mtngirl79 is online now accidentally awesome at times
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

I completely and 100% agree. Before I drove the bus, I would have been completely opposed to jail time but I feel like it's got to suck more than it does. There are so many services in Bellingham... not stabilize your life services but meals, motel rooms, clothes, tent handouts...

That's why I think we need solutions that have been proven to work, remove the idea that homelessness and addiction are moral failures so people really have options and then they can be held accountable.

You cant tell someone they csnt camp on the sidewalk until you have a place for them to go.

Its cheaper to care for the homeless in cheap apartments than on the street. The whole idea that people need to get clean and sober and stable before getting housing is wrong. People need stability to get clean and sober.

Heroin clinics for people that have failed getting clean multiple times have been proven to work and it takes away desperate customers from the drug dealers. And if addicts dont have to pay for their fix they are less likely to steal...

Instead, churches provide most homeless services. And that sucks for a lot of people.

That's my take on it anyways.

Also, probably 75% of the chronic homeless people I see probably couldn't work enough to support themselves in this economy. Most are pretty disabled.

This piece should win a pulitzer prize
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The komo story was a bit exaggerated but mostly accurate. Probably a few less on drugs and more just down n out, but yeah it's bad. I could go rustle up a tent or camper van within 2 blocks of my house if I wanted too. They need to let them all back in the jungle again..closing that made em spread out into the hoods.

I don't care too much for cops but we could use a few more in this city.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk