Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

You can't have it both ways
    Actually I can, because it’s a super huge, complex superstructure of social problems that does very much indeed stem from both a lack of options for odd ill-fitting eccentric people to escape society and live on their own terms without bothering others and the breakdown of traditional societal structures (large agrarian families, churches, community policing, etc) geared toward caring for odd, ill-fitting eccentric people who have to exist in civilization now that there’s no decent escape available to them.
    It is what it is...and it’s both things and it involves plenty of other dynamics as well.

I believe it's crazy for the homeless. Only the rich are allowed to be eccentric.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    About what? The one night census count of homeless in Seattle was 11,634. The amount spent on homelessness in Seattle was $1.06B. Do the math. The economic impact of the homeless on a per capita basis is $91k. For $91k per person, more effective methods of dealing with the issue should be sought, not the least of which is doing a better job of coordinating services between all those providing aid in order to provide services more expeditiously and cost effectively.
    Did you read the article? Most of the budget is spent on housing for those that use to be homeless or would be homeless without help and preventing new cases of homelessness.

Those people arent counted because they have homes.

The "counts" are under reported because its super hard to count everyone, plus its just that particular time... many more people experience homelessness in a year.

Yet, you are still quoting your wildly inaccurate number because it suits your narative.

I'm local and moved to the Kitsap area (just across the water) because of a significant increase in killings, woundings, and gunfire too close for comfort. Gangs have taken over many parts of South Seattle but what's new. Three years of having the most construction cranes erected in the entire U.S. reveals the unabated growth issue. Money is pushing out many long-term citizens who paid their taxes and contributed positively to their communities but can no longer afford it. Mayor talking about charging people to drive through downtown....wonder when she expects complete gridlock for anyone going through on the I-5 Interstate? Charge them too? Yeah, it went from something nice to it's new norm, a craphole but who ya gonna blame. It is a multi-faceted problem with tangled and deep roots. Not much political will to do the right things either but most of the Seattle City Council are leaving office after their tenure. Probably to milk the private industry some more and "consult" their way to success.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    because it’s a super huge, complex superstructure of social problems
    Yes it is.. but yelling "overpopulation" and an agrarian lifestyle being the answer is pretty simplistic.

Fuck you back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Are you trolling? I never said it's an answer. Are you in some weird situation, yourself, where any time somebody describes a problem it's assumed they're hinting at an implied solution?

You're the one assuming I'm over here figuring we can go back 1000 years of population explosion. I don't figure that.

In fact, what I figure is that we're fucked....this is one symptom among many of how we're all ratfucked. We're in a situation where Earth has enough to support this many human beings living crowded unhealthy stressful lives. It doesn't have enough to support this many human beings living natural, comfortable, fulfilling lives.

JFC dude.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Did you read the article? Most of the budget is spent on housing for those that use to be homeless or would be homeless without help and preventing new cases of homelessness.

Those people arent counted because they have homes.

The "counts" are under reported because its super hard to count everyone, plus its just that particular time... many more people experience homelessness in a year.

Yet, you are still quoting your wildly inaccurate number because it suits your narative.
    $155M on housing AND shelters (not homes). Of $1.06B, 15% on housing and shelters. $746M spent by non-profits in undefined ways. But it's safe to assume much of that is for shelters, again, those aren't homes. They are just part of the overall process.

The rest of your post is rhetoric and not bounded by statistics so not worthy of further debate. I'm out of time for now.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    That's a call to arms for the PNW circle jerk crew.
    PNW crew is pretty dam solid; many good posters from there. Only a couple rude people.

Overpopulation, you say? No solution, you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Two gated communities featuring landscaped grounds, full restaurant, gym, on-site laundry, and community playing fields. Behold the spectacular ocean views from many of the units at the Anderson Pond location, or enjoy the natural seclusion of our Butterworth Reservoir property, where you can take nature walks along the perimeter of the grounds in complete safety due to our wildlife-proof fencing.

Notable former guests include Charles Manson, Mickey Cohen, Robert "Birdman of Alcatraz" Stroud, and former Ku Klux Klan Imperial Wizard Samuel Bowers.
    That sounds very enticing, but then again I live in NJ. I think oftpiste could sell a ton of these.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Guess it's more than just Seattle - ouch

https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...601-story.html
    Rats at the police station, filth on L.A. streets — scenes from the collapse of a city that’s lost control

More on the impacts to downtown Seattle with regard to the homeless population. This isn't what they should be striving for.

https://www.seattlebusinessmag.com/t..._jNaMJs2Le4ENw

Seattle is dying

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    This isn't what they should be striving for.https://www.seattlebusinessmag.com/t..._jNaMJs2Le4ENw
    "Industry growth is unprecedented."

"Nine straight years of growth."

"The largest hotel in the Pacific Northwest just opened."

Your article sure makes it sound like Seatlle is dying.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Fighter jets over a dying city.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1754.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	290166

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Ah...must be Sea-Fair weekend. How're the boat races?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Fighter jets over a dying city.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1754.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	290166

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Were you in town?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/o...g-seattle.html

"Businesses are resentful of homeless drug users discarding needles on sidewalks and using bushes as toilets. A television documentary released this spring, “Seattle Is Dying,” captured the frustration of residents; some would prefer to see the police cart drug users off to jail to get them out of the way.

“It isn’t as easy as I thought to create a sensible drug policy,” Satterberg admitted to me. But he remains confident that his path, if not easy, will work better than simply throwing people in jail.

As I see it, the problem is that while Seattle has done an outstanding job halting the war on drugs, it hasn’t done well in financing the war on addiction. It closed the law enforcement toolbox without fully opening the public health toolbox."
    Dan Satterburg needs to go. And no the answer isn't just throwing people in jail... but his answer isn't the right one either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ...and trauma (which you alluded to above).

The guy who runs our shelter here in B'ham said something along the lines of they didn’t become homeless from running out of money, they became homeless from running out of relationships.

Even though homelessness is a misnomer, I don't think it's necessarily a bad one. Another local guy who runs HomesNow! says that getting people into a stable environment is the first step toward mental/emotional stability.

It's tough to have dignity when the rest of society views you as subhuman.

When does this local guy want homes?

i watched a deal go down right in front of a parked cop last night. gas station at 23rd and cherry. cop looked right at it while i was pumping gas.

i need a side gig

Firesign Theater fans may appreciate this.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-and-cop-cars/

The place is fucked on so many levels it's mind boggling. The homeless issue is only a small part of it. If you don't recognize or at the very least acknowledge the pervasive toxicity here, you're a part of the problem.

I heard a nice summation of the problem this weekend: "this isn't an issue of a few bad apples, it's an issue of a toxic orchard."

Definitely a problem. If you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem, IMO. Stay tuned for info about the "Lot 4 to Camp 4" wool sock campaign.

What really sucks about Seattle is that what we were warned about over and over has come true. The move to a $15/hour wage caused all the restaurants to close just as predicted. It's a barren, foodless wasteland. Right.

Good that the news doesn't report about highway accidents anymore. The call them what they are, "crashes". Very few road wrecks are accidental.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Moving away has saved Seattle for me. In my mind it is still the city of my youth and that's the way I like to keep it.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I don’t know the extent of the issues more than the obvious surface. I do dip in and out of downtown multiple times a year - less and less over time. Truthfully I’m living happy and a little naive in Kirkland. Seattle is getting a bad rap (maybe deservedly). Have a hard time thinking it’s worse off than some other large cities that attract people. I’d be more worried walking alleys in LA, Miami, or New Orleans.
    Personally need to get involved, I love this area.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    What really sucks about Seattle is that what we were warned about over and over has come true. The move to a $15/hour wage caused all the restaurants to close just as predicted. It's a barren, foodless wasteland. Right.
    Are you being serious?