Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    How is that ignorant? The only drug that will kill you, going cold turkey, is alcohol. Wake the fuck up.
    Ignorant - lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned, lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact, uninformed; unaware due to or showing lack of knowledge or training

Your statement wouldn't sound so ignorant if you weren't so all inclusive in your opinion. Not my experience with booze. Some addicts that train their body hard enough to accept a BAC nearing .20 as a norm can do it more than once IME.

Yep, obesity a disease also. Some can't handle the poison. Made my best money ever selling pants for ladies with waist sizes from 20 - 60.

I could be wrong about you. You could have once been a 400 pound alcoholic who is now a fit and sober 155 lbs and have a clue to you . Otherwise, you should go to sleep. I'm Woke. You got schooled.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Seattle is dying

Obesity is a disease? Okay, sure. I’m fit, but sober? Sure, I quit drinking on the first of the year, it really wasn’t that hard. Some sleepless, sweaty nights. But after a week or so, gone. No desire to drink. I do however, love the pot! I love smoking pot, am I addicted? Nope, I could quit today if I felt the need
    Holy fuck, this place is jacked.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    Sort out those who TRULY are just "down on their luck" and provide assistance to get back on their feet, those with hard drug issues need to be taken off the streets to somewhere for treatment and rehab.
    Sounds good. Now we just need to convince people to pony up the money to pay for it. It won't be quick and it won't be cheap.

Butter, Bet you would be the guy who dug a pit at the edge of the parking lot and then argued with his Swiss mountain guide who lives on the mountain about the rating of avalanche danger.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Sounds good. Now we just need to convince people to pony up the money to pay for it. It won't be quick and it won't be cheap.

Lord knows the money is there in greater Pugetopolis, the issue is wringing it out of all the tight fisted "I have mine, so why don't you work for yours" cunts that seem be a dime a dozen around here.

The arrogance and sense of entitlement displayed by even the modestly wealthy around here is galling, and I moved here from Aspen, for fucks sake.

I’m not paying for some scum bag, powder drug using criminal to get his act together. Fuck that, do it on yer own or die in the stall of dirty fast food restaurant bathroom. It’s really pretty simple. Take ownership of the life you have. Don’t ask me for help, though. I’ll just call you a pussy and laugh at your missing teeth.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I’m not paying for some scum bag, powder drug using criminal to get his act together. Fuck that, do it on yer own or die in the stall of dirty fast food restaurant bathroom. It’s really pretty simple. Take ownership of the life you have. Don’t ask me for help, though. I’ll just call you a pussy and laugh at your missing teeth.
    Boy, you're a special kind of stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    ^^THIS^^ It is unbelievable to me that some here think the current situation is acceptable and should be allowed to go on. Sort out those who TRULY are just "down on their luck" and provide assistance to get back on their feet, those with hard drug issues need to be taken off the streets to somewhere for treatment and rehab.
    Lane County in Oregon put together a plan to do just this. Price tag?

Something like 30-40 FTE positions and 100 million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Lane County in Oregon put together a plan to do just this. Price tag?

Something like 30-40 FTE positions and 100 million dollars.
    You have other options? Leave it be as it stands and ruin the city?

Fuck that, let them waste away on the street. Sooner or later your brain says enough. I need to get my shit together. If your brain is so cooked that it doesn’t send that signal, tough shit, you lose. Pretty fucking simple, really.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Scientists at Scripps Research say they've found a way to reverse rats' dependency on alcohol by blasting particular neurons in their brains with laser beams - a change they likened to the "flip of a switch".

"What is so exciting about these findings is that we were able to control the motivation to drink alcohol in severely dependent individuals with the flip of a switch," said Scripps professor Olivier George, told Digital Trends.

"By implanting fiber optics deep in the brain and turning on a laser that inhibits these neurons specifically we could dramatically decrease alcohol drinking and the physical symptoms of withdrawal."

For now, we can't get too excited about a new human treatment immediately stemming from the research, which was recently published in the journal Nature Communications.

Though the Scripps researchers are hopeful about the future of the work, they cautioned that it could take decades until the tech is ready for testing on people.

"This work requires the use of cutting-edge technologies that are not approved to be used in humans yet so it may take 15 to 30 years before we see alcoholics with brain implants that help them control their craving," George told Digital Trends.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Fuck that, let them waste away on the street. Sooner or later your brain says enough. I need to get my shit together. If your brain is so cooked that it doesn’t send that signal, tough shit, you lose. Pretty fucking simple, really.
    Pretty sure your brain isn't sending too many signals either, ha. All you are doing is simple solutions from a simple mind for complex problems.

You are blinking rapidly right now, aren't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I’d wager she smoked it. FWIG meth is not fun to snort. Word is it hurts like a mofo.
    Could just put a couple bits in your coffee.

I live right in the epicenter of PDX's homeless problem (SE Industrial District). From my point of view, most of the people I see on the streets now are not the down on their luck kind of crowd, but are mostly hard-core addicts. It's going to take a while to come back from the mess we're in, but at least the Purdue family is finally being held accountable for largely facilitating the opioid crisis.

I would like to see several things happen to get us out of the homelessness crisis. Firstly, legalize heroin and make it so addicts can get weaned off of it under a doctor's supervision like has been done very successfully in Switzerland. Secondly, integrate the homelessness problem with the Green New Deal and infrastructure initiatives; make it so there is a place that people can go everyday and have a short-term/mid-term living wage job with almost no exceptions. Optional temporary housing as part of this program would make sense. If people don't want to work, or can't for whatever reason, give them some additional options including free temporary housing, mental healthcare, etc. Once these options are in place, toughen up on tents/sidewalk living within city limits. You don't want to go to a job? You can go to rehab or mental healthcare facility. You don't want to go to one of those, you can keep camping on the streets, but after 3 strikes or whatever, you go to jail. Rinse repeat. Finally, we need to nuke single family zoning restrictions. Portland/Oregon is already getting going on this, but our antiquated zoning laws are largely responsible for the lack of affordable housing. All the boomers that complain about homelessness, but have gotten rich by doing nothing but but watching the price of their close-in houses go up insanely can get fucked.

How are we going to pay for this? We can start with drastic cuts to the military budget. Anyone who honestly believes we need to spend close to a trillion dollars a year on our military is an asshole. Secondly, we can reverse the bullshit Trump tax cuts. Let's be real here, Bezos could singlehandedly end Seattle's homeless problem if he wanted to. Nobody needs 100 billion dollars.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    <snip> Nobody needs 100 billion dollars.
    Isn't that what YOU will have when your bitcoin goes to the moon?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Scientists at Scripps Research say they've found a way to reverse rats' dependency on alcohol by blasting particular neurons in their brains with laser beams - a change they likened to the "flip of a switch".
    Kinda like a 21st century lobotomy... promising.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Isn't that what YOU will have when your bitcoin goes to the moon?

Wrong thread, JONG!

That right there is some SOLID tough-love. You go, girl.

From my point of view, most of the people I see on the streets now are not the down on their luck kind of crowd, but are mostly hard-core addicts.
    That's how I see it in Seattle too, but the sanctimonious crowd refuses to acknowledge. We have services for those that want them, and most homeless who really are down on their luck are already accepting it. When the camps get swept here hardly anyone accepts the beds and social workers they have ready for them. Letting people figure out a shitty situation on their own in the streets is just enabling and frankly inhumane. The result is people going deeper into addiction and mental breakdown.

I live right in the epicenter ............................................

We can start with drastic cuts to the military budget. Anyone who honestly believes we need to spend close to a trillion dollars a year on our military is an asshole. ........

Boeing eats military money to live. Good luck. Bezos and Gates aren't drinking enough sugary drinks in proportion to their wealth to make the current system work in a big growing city. The State Mental Hospital was fined by the Feds for not spending enough money to protect the staff as the hospital was under staffed by underpaid staff because nobody want's to work there. That's a catch 22 SNAFU.

It's amazing how you guys can analyze someone's life history from just seeing them on the street.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
    That's how I see it in Seattle too, but the sanctimonious crowd refuses to acknowledge. We have services for those that want them, and most homeless who really are down on their luck are already accepting it. When the camps get swept here hardly anyone accepts the beds and social workers they have ready for them. Letting people figure out a shitty situation on their own in the streets is just enabling and frankly inhumane. The result is people going deeper into addiction and mental breakdown.
    A lot of the "beds and programs" are church and 12 step programs not evidence based programs that have been proven to work.

That's why I say crack down hard while at the same time implementing programs... so people either get with a program or go to jail.

Also. There arent tons of programs. Most have waiting lists.

My father in law was just denied VA benefits for dementia. He’s broke. My wife and I have to come up with an extra $1400 a month so he can live in a facility. We aren’t rich and this will hurt but I imagine many people couldn’t afford this situation and he’d be homeless.

He’d be another Vietnam vet with stage 4 Louis Body Dementia yelling at people on the street.

I’m pissed at HIM for being a jackass the last 20 years spending all his retirement money at WalMart and buying motorcycles and RV’s (he’s a Texan).

I heard you say that your problem with the problem is your anger. Now you are making sense. Good luck.