Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    treatment is the wrong way to look at it, you are never going to treat someone, you can help them though
    Watch that video of "Travis"-does he appear to be someone who wants to be "helped"..? What to do with that character, is leaving him on the downtown street to shoot up in front of everyone and cause problems the best/only option?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    the homeless problem has nothing to do with being "homeless"
    politicians and other idiots want you to belive they can solve the homeless problem with tax dollars and a magic wand by giving people a place to live
    Well - it sorta can be. But the "place to live" would be a mental institution (for a large portion of that population). And nobody wants to talk about mental institutions any more.

Where's Rudy G. when you need him? He cleaned up the squeegee people and the like back in the early 90's of NYC. I'm sure Seattle would welcome him with open arms and all. Or maybe not.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    I thought it was warmer than that..Your average highs/lows don't relect those cold snaps? You Jan average high/low is 41/29, how can it below 20 for weeks on end?ANYWAYS u never see tent people except for the outdoorsy folks winter-camping in the Mts
    It isn't, KQ spews a lot of shit about how hard life is out on the hobby farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Where's Rudy G. when you need him? He cleaned up the squeegee people and the like back in the early 90's of NYC. I'm sure Seattle would welcome him with open arms and all. Or maybe not.
    If Rudy G turned up in Seattle our city council would probably pass a resolution to have him flung off the top of the space needle.

Hopefully they would hold a lottery for all of us who would volunteer to fling him.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    KQ spews a lot of shit about how hard life is out on the hobby farm.
    Easy does it tiger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    It isn't, KQ spews a lot of shit about how hard life is out on the hobby farm.
    You're right. I really have nothing to complain about. Got a roof over my head that doesn't leak. Heat in the winter and AC in the summer with a fridge full of food and money coming in. My life, and probably everyone's on here, is paradise compared to those living on the street.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Another way to think about addiction.
    https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_har...ction_is_wrong

I don't think Meth and Heroin can be treated the same way. Meth seems to be a place humans don't come back from.

When i read that chart, I feel like "lost my job" should sorta be rolled up into category two of drug addiction. You lost your job because you are a drug addict.
    Now that being said, drugs aside, I see most homeless people as mentally ill. When we used to institutionalize mentally ill people it was deemed cruel and to be honest most of the facilities probably were,, but the answer probably shouln't have been to dump them on the streets either. I have a cousin with a true schizophrenic kid. The problem is he is turning 21 soon and their are no more "Programs" for him. In his youth he was essentitally cared for by the state and social works. Soon he will be turned out into the world. I have no doubt he will wind up homeless since his father is older, his mother is dying of cancer and his siblings cant handle him.
    That being said, homeless encampements and street needles and shit everywhere is also a public health problem and degrades the quality of life for the 99% of others and has to be addressed as well.
    I have no idea what the answer is, but Seattle is not doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    ship his ass to NE to be *cured*
    A week or two in Londonderry will straighten him out. That dude will come back to Seattle as clean as a whistle.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    When i read that chart, I feel like "lost my job" should sorta be rolled up into category two of drug addiction. You lost your job because you are a drug addict. .
    I'm pretty certain that people lose their jobs for other reasons than addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    A week or two in Londonderry will straighten him out. .
    Northern Ireland is lovely this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    If Rudy G turned up in Seattle our city council would probably pass a resolution to have him flung off the top of the space needle.

Hopefully they would hold a lottery for all of us who would volunteer to fling him.
    I'd buy a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Specifically, what about that KOMO story is false or biased?
    Couldn't watch it. Busy volunteering today. The bias there is institutional.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

you watch too much TV, david

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Another way to think about addiction.
    https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_har...ction_is_wrong

I don't think Meth and Heroin can be treated the same way. Meth seems to be a place humans don't come back from.
    My older sister did meth during college, she used it regularly to keep her awake to study. She graduated with honors, and had a long career in banking, raised two kids, and still maintains a home. I don't think she's used it since college.

It's not impossible to return, just very difficult. It requires a goal that is stronger than the desire to avoid one's feeling of powerlessness in the world.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

San Francisco North is not that bad.

So long as you're a keyboard jockey or VC/Finance Asshole.

For everyone else both cities are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    My older sister did meth during college, she used it regularly to keep her awake to study.
    WTF? People never cease to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    My older sister did meth during college, she used it regularly to keep her awake to study.
    They were out of Diet Coke at the commissary?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I could give a fuck about junkies dying. Just don’t be sleeping on the street. We don’t have homeless shitdicks walking around doing homeless shitdick stuff. It’s better that way.
    Your state has the 2nd highest rate of mortality from opiods and you're good with that? Might not be visible but it's not really going to lead to a sustainable community or economy.
    New state motto: is going to get changed from "Live free or die" to "Shoot up, then die".

Seattle is dying

The underlying problem and general lack of sympathy is probably because these people made a bad choice out of weakness. Plenty of people get a script for hydrocodone and when it runs out you suck it up and feel like shit for a few days and move on. The “weak” can’t suck it up and make a conscious decision to break the law and then get caught up in it. I’ve been addicted to opioids.

I should also note I lost my best friend to fentanyl 3 years ago this month. And I’m still pissed at him.

Quote Originally Posted by tbssux View Post
    Your state has the 2nd highest rate of mortality from opiods and you're good with that? Might not be visible but it's not really going to lead to a sustainable community or economy.
    New state motto: is going to get changed from "Live free or die" to "Shoot up, then die".
    But he doesn't have to use seatbelts.

Or something...

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    But he doesn't have to use seatbelts.

Or something...
    In NH, it's not cool to impinge on crooked doctors' rights to over-prescribe.

Jump ahead to the 45 minute mark of the KOMO video and see how Rhode Island deals with this. This is what Seattle needs to do. (And u get to hear the cute RI accent, like on 'Family Guy": )

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    The underlying problem and general lack of sympathy is probably because these people made a bad choice out of weakness. Plenty of people get a script for hydrocodone and when it runs out you suck it up and feel like shit for a few days and move on. The “weak” can’t suck it up and make a conscious decision to break the law and then get caught up in it. I’ve been addicted to opioids.
    from spiraling
    I should also note I lost my best friend to fentanyl 3 years ago this month. And I’m still pissed at him.
    Tell us about your travel through your addiction and how you were saved. Luck? Support? Pure guts cold turkey? I baby sat for a young mom through multiple rehabs and who is a now homeless addict. I could use your advice.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Seattle is dying

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Tell us about your travel through your addiction and how you were saved. Luck? Support? Pure guts cold turkey? I baby sat for a young mom through multiple rehabs and who is a now homeless addict. I could use your advice.
    Gradually taper off over a long period of time. Minimum of one week of a small reduction at a time.

That should help her if she’s willing.

I was taking 12 pills a day. Went to 11.5 pills a day for a week. All the way down to a pill split into quarters, taking the quarter before bed. Sleeping was one of the hardest parts.

Weed and exercise help too.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

When I had surgery I got a huge bottle of oxy. No tylenol in it, straight oxy.

I took it the first day or two and then for a few nights and then I gave the rest to he who shall not be mentioned.

It was not hard. I was not strong at that point in my life. It was a bad, stressful time. If it was that simple I'd be an addict right now.

It's more than "weakness". Its multi faceted.

It's also society. We have to do something. Everyone needs a place to be. What option does society have but to try to help people heal enough to take care of themselves and not be a nuisance?

I just wish more people would lose the judgement and look at what has worked best for the least cost.