Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    https://www.democracynow.org/
    An hour on the Opioid Epidemic.

‘Ugly Laws’ https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_law

Ugly laws identified groups of people as disturbing the flow of public life and banned them from public spaces. Such people, deemed "unsightly" or "unseemly," were usually impoverished and often beggars. Thus ugly laws were methods by which lawmakers attempted to remove the poor from sight.[2]

Laws similar to the one in Chicago followed in Denver, Colorado and Lincoln, Nebraska in 1889. At some time from 1881 to 1890 an ugly law was enacted in Omaha, Nebraska.[9] Additionally, ugly laws were sparked by the Panic of 1893.[2] These included Columbus, Ohio in 1894, and in 1891 for the entire state of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania's was different as it contained language applying to cognitive disability as well as physical disability.[2] An attempt was made at introducing ugly laws in New York, but it failed in 1895. Initial drafts in New York were similar to those in Pennsylvania as to include cognitive disabilities.[2] Reno, Nevada instituted an ordinance before 1905.[2] Los Angeles, California attempted to pass an ordinance in 1913.

Historically, ugly laws can be found under the headings of unsightly beggar law or unsightly beggar ordinance.[1]
    These laws also meant that people with ‘unsightly’ disabilities were forced to stay inside away from public view.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    There a reason for pain management beyond shutting up an uncooperative patient:
    Why is pain control so important?

In addition to keeping you comfortable, pain control can help speed your recovery and may reduce your risk of developing certain complications after surgery, such as pneumonia and blood clots. If your pain is well controlled, you will be better able to complete important tasks, such as walking and deep breathing exercises.
    I never had a problem with the breathing stuff, I was blowing away their thresholds even before they had to roll me in for the emergency surgery to stop the arterial bleeding when I couldn't do more than lift my arms. Walking and even getting out of bed to pee were out of the question for a few days anyway, especially when my sack was swollen to the size of a very large grapefruit because it was filled with blood from the leaking artery, so controlling that aspect of the pain was pretty meaningless. I kept saying that I'd rather hurt a little bit than risk making something worse because I didn't feel it happening. The zanex was to shut me up

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    My remarks about dementia were sarcasm aimed at buttflake claiming that addiction wasn't a disease.

I know full well what it's like to have a family member go through it.

I'll consider the fuck yous withdrawn.
    If the addiction was caused by poor choices made I don't have much sympathy, if it is due to choices that were made for you when you were in a compromised state it's different.

Like I said above, sorry for the misread but my sarcasmometer is broken when it comes to this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    These laws also meant that people with ‘unsightly’ disabilities were forced to stay inside away from public view.
    descendents of the poor laws - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Poor_Laws

the dutch workhouse of the 16-17th cent had a "make work" room in the basement. water came in, you learned to pump water out under obvious threat of drowning. they stopped it when someone died.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post

If the addiction was caused by poor choices made I don't have much sympathy, if it is due to choices that were made for you when you were in a compromised state it's different.
    It's niggling pedantry like this that is the precise reason nothing will ever be done on a large scale to combat drug addiction in the United States. Careful now, the higher your horse, the further you have to fall.

I kept saying that I'd rather hurt a little bit than risk making something worse because I didn't feel it happening.
    Lots of "I's" sounds like you know more than the professionals.

Ask the Medicis about Florence and their protection budget.
    As for "dying", that's a bit emo, but yeah, Seattle ain't the Emerald City anymore.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    It's niggling pedantry like this that is the precise reason nothing will ever be done on a large scale to combat drug addiction in the United States. Careful now, the higher your horse, the further you have to fall.
    First you decide to try it and find out it's kind of fun. Then... Nobody makes you do so much blow/heroin/meth/oxy etc. that you lose who you were and can't get back. If you fall into that hole after making the decision to start when it's pretty easy to know beforehand where it can take you why should I feel for you? If you're strong enough to pull yourself out of it (early enough that you're not a wreck) I'll help you get back on your feet but if your choice is to let it consume you you're on your own. I have a hard time seeing that as a disease. No I don't think you should get free treatment at a methodone clinic after getting yourself all screwed up either. I worked across the street from one for over 10 years and if you saw some of the characters on the street you'd be sad that you were paying for it out of your taxes, if you saw some of the very wealthy celebrities getting free care you'd be angry when your medical insurance was over 20% of your take home pay.

First you decide to try it
    Or, you know, your doctor prescribes it and you listen because they're supposed to know what they're doing.

" I have a hard time seeing that as a disease."

That is the problem right there. Define disease please.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Sorry for your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Lane County (Eugene) Oregon fun facts again:

2450 homeless children attended school there. (something like 300 of those are unaccompanied.)

54% of 3rd graders in Eugene's school system can't read at grade level. This is a key indicator of high school graduation and success later in life.
    Bad parenting, not the schools fault...

Believe what you need to keep your brain from exploding davieboy. I'd bet that you beat your kids. C'mon, fess up. Spare the rod and all that.

First you decide to try it and find out it's kind of fun. Then... Nobody makes you do so much blow/heroin/meth/oxy etc. that you lose who you were and can't get back. If you fall into that hole after making the decision to start when it's pretty easy to know beforehand where it can take you why should I feel for you? If you're strong enough to pull yourself out of it (early enough that you're not a wreck) I'll help you get back on your feet but if your choice is to let it consume you you're on your own. I have a hard time seeing that as a disease. No I don't think you should get free treatment at a methodone clinic after getting yourself all screwed up either. I worked across the street from one for over 10 years and if you saw some of the characters on the street you'd be sad that you were paying for it out of your taxes, if you saw some of the very wealthy celebrities getting free care you'd be angry when your medical insurance was over 20% of your take home pay.
    Wow. You're just overflowing with the milk of human kindness aren't you.

And once again apparently able to divine others life story at a glance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Believe what you need to keep your brain from exploding davieboy. I'd bet that you beat your kids. C'mon, fess up. Spare the rod and all that.
    Hey, I found your" Plenty of Fish" account!

https://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx...le_id=64500885

I see little kids waiting for the school bus in front of the trashy weekly rate motels every day.

It's pretty heartbreaking.

Especially when you know how the other kids are treating them.

There is one father that comes out of a motel with his kid, probably a 10 year old every day and rides the bus with him across town to drop him off at an elementary school. He doesnt appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Our country is fucked up and it's time we stop blaming the weakest, most vulnerable members of society for its problems.

How about the strong and powerful consider a solution...oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    What is the solution..?

Pulling your head out of your ass for long enough to realize that the cost of helping every addict, regardless of how they got there, will be far less than the costs that are inflicted on society by addicts under the combination of benign neglect and tough love that is the current approach to dealing with addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Pulling your head out of your ass for long enough to realize that the cost of helping every addict, regardless of how they got there, will be far less than the costs that are inflicted on society by addicts under the combination of benign neglect and tough love that is the current approach to dealing with addicts.
    Maybe watch the last 15 minutes of that documentary and see how Rhode Island does it. Then convince your officials to do it. Every recovering addict interviewed is grateful for the "tough love" and said they would probably be dead otherwise.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...inmates-219594
    Last edited by DaveTV; 03-27-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Tough love doesnt work without options.

Nobody can pull themselves up by their boot straps if they dont even have boots.

Right now we have a whole bunch of broken people in a broken system that has never worked for them that don't have anything to give fuck about. Nothing to lose.

The weakest, most vulnerable members of our society that have the least. The least wealth. The least power. The least anything.

Tough love doesnt work without options.

Nobody can pull themselves up by their boot straps if they dont even have boots.

Right now we have a whole bunch of broken people in a broken system that has never worked for them that don't have anything to give fuck about. Nothing to lose.

The weakest, most vulnerable members of our society that have the least. The least wealth. The least power. The least anything.
    Many of these junkie kids come from good families, don't kid yourself. They need to get off the street and get help, regardless of how they got there.

They cant get off the street and get help if there isnt a place off the streets and help for them...

I know, we should have the government tax them, take that money and...oh wait...
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Seattle has always been a shit hole. Whats new about that?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

because now it's dying... doing what it loves best... being grungy.