Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    How long would it take to build a car ferry dock next to Marination Ma Kai?

I doubt that would ever get past the environmental review process, not to mention WA ferries receive a 30% subsidy in order to operate (although Bainbridge and Kingston routes would not need a subsidy on their own).

There's already the water taxi

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    There's already the water taxi
    And it's going to be getting a lot of business especially when the stay at home order is lifted. But West Seattle is big. It's not very easy for most people to get to the taxi dock.

A more realistic (economically and environmentally) temporary ferry solution would be to add a passenger (non-vehicle) ferry to the Fauntleroy terminal (from Fauntleroy to downtown Seattle). You could stagger the foot ferry with the existing vehicle ferry and use the same dock for both. Increase bus transit from areas in West Seattle to Fauntleroy. Parking sucks around Fauntleroy but relative to every other neighborhood in Seattle, it is not that bad. I am guessing the route would be about 30 minutes.

Kitsap County recently started their own (non-Washington State Ferry) foot ferry from Bremerton and Kingston that so far, has been economically feasible.

The future of seattle is increasingly pedestrian (& mass transit) oriented...

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    A more realistic (economically and environmentally) temporary ferry solution would be to add a passenger (non-vehicle) ferry to the Fauntleroy terminal (from Fauntleroy to downtown Seattle). You could stagger the foot ferry with the existing vehicle ferry and use the same dock for both. Increase bus transit from areas in West Seattle to Fauntleroy. Parking sucks around Fauntleroy but relative to every other neighborhood in Seattle, it is not that bad. I am guessing the route would be about 30 minutes.
    The route certainly isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Kitsap County recently started their own (non-Washington State Ferry) foot ferry from Bremerton and Kingston that so far, has been economically feasible.
    Oof...this makes my head hurt

From Seattle Times: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...eattle-bridge/

The King County Water Taxi has rarely carried more than a fraction of capacity, but demand may grow now without the bridge. During the January 2019 Highway 99 closure, the county added a second West Seattle vessel, and daily wintertime use quadrupled the first Monday to 1,350 boardings. More-frequent foot-ferry trips are needed from Vashon Island to downtown, and foot ferries should be considered from Southworth to downtown, or Fauntleroy to downtown, said Martin Westerman, vice chair of the West Seattle Transportation Coalition. Odds appear slim that car ferries from Vashon and Southworth could divert from Fauntleroy to downtown. Vehicle space at Colman Dock is limited with renovations there continuing until 2023. And shifting Vashon car ferries to downtown may not be wise, anyway, since many motorists stay in West Seattle or go south to Renton or SeaTac. Only 40% cross the high bridge, a Washington State Ferries survey in 2013 found.

https://komonews.com/news/local/seat...emeanor-crimes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Getting a fair trial is a luxury for the rich only.

There is a dude on YouTube putting up video every day. Amazon HR moving from Lake Union to Bellevue. Boeing leaving WA. Bunch of other stuff. I even heard that Swedish Medical Center is shopping for a new location for it's world famous heart center.

Boeing leaving WA? Do you know how many work here?
    How does this fit your narrative? Seattle added 7 cranes during the pandemic to once again top the crane index - leading commercial construction development in US.
    https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...-the-lead.html

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    There is a dude on YouTube putting up video every day. Amazon HR moving from Lake Union to Bellevue. Boeing leaving WA. Bunch of other stuff. I even heard that Swedish Medical Center is shopping for a new location for it's world famous heart center.
    It's refreshing to see that someone around here thoroughly vets their sources.

Regarding the proposal in Seattle to make substance addiction, mental illness or poverty a legal defense misdemeanor crimes committed in Seattle, I can't find the actual proposal because it is still very early on in the process. But a few things to consider. Felonies, DUIs, and domestic violence offenses would be exempt. The law would only apply in Seattle Municipal Court (which does not handle felonies) and like all misdemeanor courts in Washington, their focus and priority is DUI and domestic violence offense. Everything else is given a lower priority. So the law would only apply to crimes that are currently not aggressively prosecuted. If an assault results in any kind of serious injury (cut, broken bone, ect.) it is a felony, and would be exempt. If a shoplift is over $750 it would be a felony and be exempt. So what is left? Petty shoplifts and minor, non-domestic violence altercations.

I haven't read the actual law so I can't comment on whether I think it is wise or not, but I like that they are a least trying to think outside the box on criminal justice reform. I wonder how one would prove the defense? If you are poor enough to qualify for a public defender and need an expert witness, the court must also pay for your expert witness. So it could end up costing the public a ton if the court is handing out money to hire expert witness to indigent defendants who are trying to prove their crime was due to mental health, substance abuse, and/or poverty. These types of cases already get diversions so it is not like they are punished that severely.

Regarding Swedish hospital potentially moving from Seattle, you are aware that Harborview Hospital, right next door, is trying to get money for their $952 million dollar expansion? The data released yesterday shows Seattle year-over-year home prices increased by 8.5%, the second highest of any metro area in the country. Sure does sound like Seattle is dying to me.

I think this may be the draft of the proposed legislation
    https://kingcounty.gov/~/media/depts...AFT.ashx?la=en

Your link is not working for me. But that can't be it because that link is King County, and this is a Seattle proposal. The Komo article says the proposal is being done within the general Seattle budget proposal.

Article this morning talks about Seattle council proposing safe injection sites, proposing to use existing social service and health care locations as a place for the sites. Bellevue, Kent, Renton, Federal Way and Auburn have have all banned the placement of a supervised consumption site within their borders.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-budget-talks/

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    Getting a fair trial is a luxury for the rich only.
    Apparently the rich could claim substance addiction to the list of getting out jail, if you happen to live in Seattle.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Carpetbagging on this thread to say that Portland is kind of dying too. Someone was stabbed to death while they slept in their apartment a few days ago. I kind of think we're about to start another cycle of urban decay like what we saw in the 70s, from which it will take a long time to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Boeing leaving WA? Do you know how many work here?
    How does this fit your narrative? Seattle added 7 cranes during the pandemic to once again top the crane index - leading commercial construction development in US.
    https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...-the-lead.html
    I don't thinkthe union views this as just a "narrative":

https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...uction-to-s-c/

Article this morning talks about Seattle council proposing safe injection sites, proposing to use existing social service and health care locations as a place for the sites. Bellevue, Kent, Renton, Federal Way and Auburn have have all banned the placement of a supervised consumption site within their borders.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-budget-talks/
    PDX doing a similar thing in a ballot proposal disguised as "Diverting MJ Taxes to substance abuse centers". On the surface sounds great and decriminalizes personal small usage amounts of certain drugs....thats on the ballot. However you have to read the booklet to find out those certain drugs are: heroin, cocaine, LSD, oxycodone and some other drugs.

Just passing out some info.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    PDX doing a similar thing in a ballot proposal disguised as "Diverting MJ Taxes to substance abuse centers". On the surface sounds great and decriminalizes personal small usage amounts of certain drugs....thats on the ballot. However you have to read the booklet to find out those certain drugs are: heroin, cocaine, LSD, oxycodone and some other drugs.

What else would those certain drugs be? Marijuana is legal in WA and OR. Thanks for sleuthing that out for us.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post

I was in Vancouver BC Chinatown area and I'm not sure what to think about the decriminalize thing. I live close in SE PDX and someone needs to create a plan but I don't think the abuse center bill is it.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Carpetbagging on this thread to say that Portland is kind of dying too. Someone was stabbed to death while they slept in their apartment a few days ago. I kind of think we're about to start another cycle of urban decay like what we saw in the 70s, from which it will take a long time to recover.
    Portland seems to be having a rough go these days. Here is to hoping for better days soon!