school me/us re cartop tents

my son graduating from college and big spring/summer road trip before starting engineering job in Boulder (yahoo kid employed to be!) wants a cartop tent for graduation present ?! I know they are lots more expensive than a car camping on the ground tent (which we have)...what do I need to know? experience? recommendations? thanks!!, Chet (this would be for the top of Subaru Outback)

Here's some reading that should help from a site I like to check daily. Good reviews by people who use their gear. I don't have any personal experience to offer, sorry.

https://expeditionportal.com/buyers-...oof-top-tents/

https://expeditionportal.com/buyers-...oof-top-tents/

https://expeditionportal.com/how-to-buy-a-rooftop-tent/
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

I am baffled as to why anyone would want a rooftop tent.

It's all the downsides of a regular ground tent, except you can't move your car while they're popped, they destroy your gas mileage, and they cost 5 times as much. But hey, everyone that sees you driving around will totally know that you're an outdoorsy person, so there's that.

I've had a number of friends that bought those things. Every single one of them has sold it after using it less than 5 times.

Primary use is to drive around urban areas with 12" of wind resistance on top of your vehicle, no room for a ski box. Be sure to use once per year. Years of trailhead camping confirms these are used as a way to spend money, not to camp. You're gonna need a 2020 4runner w/ 20k in mods to complete the look. Or your son could lift the outback and put ko2's on it for instaclaim glory

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I am baffled as to why anyone would want a rooftop tent.

It's all the downsides of a regular ground tent, except you can't move your car while they're popped, they destroy your gas mileage, and they cost 5 times as much. But hey, everyone that sees you driving around will totally know that you're an outdoorsy person, so there's that.

I've had a number of friends that bought those things. Every single one of them has sold it after using it less than 5 times.
    Seems like it would be a good options for desert camping to keep the creepy crawlies at bay?

I think a better option would be to have a tent system that you could pull out like a card table and essentially extend the length of trunk/bed area, and then could fold back into the bottom of your trunk/bed. Would provide gear shelter underneath, and seems to have all the benefits of raised tent camping?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Seems like it would be a good options for desert camping to keep the creepy crawlies at bay?
    Or, I dunno, zip the tent doors closed.

They're nice if you're sleeping in lion country.

Yeah, just don't. The sole purpose of these things is instagram shots. To add a few more downsides - you have to find a level parking spot, no flexibility to camp away from roads/parking lots/other people, you have to climb down a ladder every time you need to piss, doesn't work with dogs. Especially on a road trip it's nice to have the option of incognito camping. If you put a rocket box on top instead you can throw some shit in there and sleep in the car, thereby avoiding the 3am wakeup from the walmart parking lot rent-a-cop. Plus lions can climb so you're still screwed there.

congratulations on the graduation and job. I say cowboy up throw that bedroll on the ground. I don't understand the purpose just fold down the back seat and sleep in the car.
    off your knees Louie

A roof top tent is retarded, you should get him a hitch hotel instead since he already has a suby. Name:  IMG_5713.JPG
Views: 717
Size:  121.5 KB

Or just lift w the Ko2s if he wants to get laid

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    They're nice if you're sleeping in lion country.
    Detroit? They got abandoned houses you can use

I've spent most weekends this winter splitting time between a buddies rooftop tent and sleeping in the back of my Subaru. The tent is far and away a better/more comfortable setup. It's a bit of a PITA to set up, but with two people you can tear down and be ready to go in 10 min. Seems worth it to me.

I think part of the key is having the right truck. His is on a built out Land Rover, so the ladder is already there and you can stand on the back on the spare tire, which helps. I don't think it would be as useful on top of a smaller car.

Also, you can still have a roofbox, it's not illegal to extend the roof rack over the side of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    I've spent most weekends this winter splitting time between a buddies rooftop tent and sleeping in the back of my Subaru. The tent is far and away a better/more comfortable setup. It's a bit of a PITA to set up, but with two people you can tear down and be ready to go in 10 min. Seems worth it to me.
    What advantages do you find over dirt-based tenting?

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    What advantages do you find over dirt-based tenting?
    In the summer, none.

In the winter, it keeps you off the snow. Also the memory foam on the bottom is pretty comfy.

If he's dead set on having a mediocre camping setup, get him a cheap, used teardrop trailer. About the same amount of space as a rooftop tent, and probably can be had for around the same price. But at least you don't have to set it up, and if you want to actually drive somewhere in your car, you don't have to fuck around with a stupid tent that some idiot bolted to the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    In the summer, none.

In the winter, it keeps you off the snow. Also the memory foam on the bottom is pretty comfy.
    Staying off the snow is the best justification I've heard.

Still, throwing some memory foam in the Suby seems like it would close the gap. And net you $1,000 for gas.
    Which is great cause those Ko2's and the lift kit are killing your mileage.

roof box is the way to go with the seats folded down in the back for comfortable sleeping. as others have mentioned:

rooftop tent:
    not stealth
    decrease mpg
    can’t drive with it set up
    general cons of a regular tent, possibly have to set it up late at night when you’re tired AF. or setting it up in the rain, and needing to let it dry out. drying out wet tents, clothes, etc gets old really fast. easier in the summer but just that aspect alone makes sleeping in the car more favorable to me.

I had one early on because I knew the guy who started CVT. He hooked me up cheap to get people to see them in the area and my Landcruiser gets occasional attention. If it was wasn't silly cheap, I wouldn't have bought one. I slept in it maybe 30 days over two years and then sold it even cheaper than I paid. Wouldn't buy another one. Probably wouldn't use one if it was given to me. My thoughts...

-Reason for ownership-instagram cred. I was in mine at the Sawtooth Music Fest. A random person took a pic, pic ends up on instagram, that pic gets copied and ends up on other websites.
    -They are good for really rocky terrain. Almost as good as a cot or cot and tent.
    -Sucks in the wind.
    -Sucks in the rain snow. They will keep you dry but you then have to dry them out when you get home. If it's raining and you don't have an enormous garage or shop, you have to wait for warm and sunny weather to deploy while it dries. You can either take it off which is a pain or you car is out of commission until you fold the tent back up.
    -Sucks to take on and off.
    -Soft covers take a beating and don't hold up well. Fading and tears are common.
    -Deploying tent takes as long as setting up a ground tent.
    -Mileage in my Landcruiser sucked so it didn't matter but I'd imagine in an efficient car, it would kill mpg.
    -Can't drive with tent deployed so no tent left behind to claim a camp when you drive somewhere to do something.
    -No more boxes, ski, or bike racks on top.
    -The affordable tents don't hold up well.
    -You have to buy the vapor grid for under the mattress. If you don't, the condensation under the mattress will look like you pissed a lot in bed in the middle of the night.
    -You will talk to a ton of people that you don't want to talk to about your tent.
    -Not great for dogs.
    -Ask Reverend Floater about his broken chung.
    -If you want to stealth camp, you are still sleeping in the back of your car.
    -You can buy a really nice pad, ground tent, cot, and sleeping bag for the same price.
    -You either have to climb down the stairs in the dark or contort yourself to piss in the middle of the night out the tent window.
    -Mildew is real.
    -"Overlanding" is a cool term for car camping.

Pros:

-They are super bitchin' at concerts and music fests. If your car is tall enough, you can open the tent windows and chill in the tent and still see the stage for those afternoon nap/hangout/burn sessions.
    -Sometime there just isn't a good spot for a tent. But then, I'll either sleep in the car or put a cot or pad on the ground next to the car.

Really, some people like them. And that's fine too. I just think they're a compromise of lot of undesirable qualities of tent camping.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yeah, can't say I'm super for or against 'em.

My buddy who has it was living on the road for an extended period of time, didn't have enough room in his car for his stuff and to make a bed. Makes sense for the right crowd, but if you're a weekend-warrior skiier, might as well sleep in your car.

I think the only way I'd consider a RTT is with the GoFastCamper concept. RTT and camper shell built into a single unit.

Name:  Acb9s21s.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  54.7 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GFCOpen.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	262.9 KB 
ID:	275246

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchwagon View Post
    I think the only way I'd consider a RTT is with the GoFastCamper concept. RTT and camper shell built into a single unit.
    Same. Plus its a Mag owned company!

Go Fast looks so sweet. There's an old company that's out of biz that made something similar except the top part flipped over 180 degrees and a tent popped up. You could stand up in the bed of the truck and the sleeping platform was over the cab and hood. Id feel more comfortable with a catalytic heater in one of those than something that has all nylon or whatever sides. (Maybe you can put a heater in the RTT, surely someone's figured it out. )

Weight of the RTT made the whole thing a complete non-starter. For my '08 Outback, the payload aint that great compared to the quite generous amount of cargo room, plus mine's an NA and I like to keep the weight down. 100+ pounds for a tent. no. That and I have a dog, but even then, the weight. Had I gotten around to it, box + sleep area in the car that's ready to go, or almost ready to go is the way I'd prefer to go (like, not having to pull a bunch of shit out or rearrange too much shit like skis-which is what I do now, that and I have a tent). There are ways to deal with sleeping on the snow.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Go Fast looks so sweet. There's an old company that's out of biz that made something similar except the top part flipped over 180 degrees and a tent popped up. You could stand up in the bed of the truck and the sleeping platform was over the cab and hood.
    The product you describe was a Flip-Pac. Discontinued now, and it seems there were a lot of quality control/durability issues with those.

Name:	19965950390_566abfdb94_b.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	275394

The AT Habitat is more modern/better/pricier version of that. Lots of info on ExpeditionPortal about these.

Name:	toyhab5.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	275395

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    You sound like a city slicker.

Count me in the group that says a car top camper is silly. So many better ways to go about it: truck with camper shell (or go fast camper if you want to be all pimpy), car that you can sleep in, camper trailer, or the old fashioned tent.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I also have an Fzj80. Paired it with an Airtop from autohome for a 2 month road trip to Alaska. It’s a hard top on hydraulics, which as far as RTTs goes, is towards top of the line and some pros over the fold out kind. Namely setup and take down time. Literally 90 seconds.

In BC and Alaska we appreciated being off the ground (bears were ever ever present, much more than the lower 48. And we had a puppy). It also really was nice having your sleeping space “ready to go” everyday as we changed sites everyday and the sleeping bags stayed up there.

But in the end I sold it.