Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2019

Garden 2019

Haven’t seen it started yet so if it has been I can delete this...

Tapped the maple trees again this spring, I bet we’ve gotten close to 100 gallons of sap, we’ll be giving out syrup to everyone we know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0465.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	275032

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is shipping a chore of rules and regs or no?

I would have loved a bucket of that stuff when the Mormon missionaries showed up today!
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Is shipping a chore of rules and regs or no?
    Anythings negotiable although our kids eat the shit out of waffles and pancakes on the weekend so we go through a lot but I’ve learned a couple gallons is a shit ton of syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    I’ve learned a couple gallons is a shit ton of syrup. ]
    Life lessons indeed.

On the garden front, I'm annoyed I didn't get any Fall bulbs in the ground. Biking season is always in full swing and harvest time and hail storms and just kind of over the garden by the time Oct/Nov rolls around.

Heat wave here and the snow banks are melting quickly. But not quickly enough for the lady - she was out shovelling the rotten snow off the front flower beds. Crocuses are poking out, and a couple of hungry bees were buzzing around. Isn’t even supposed to go below 0C tomorrow night. First day of spring indeed.

Short season here: 6 kinds tomatoes, cabbage, herbs, cauliflower, brussels sprouts .. started inside and have sprouted. Hardened off in +/- 6 weeks then installed. Smart alec garlic will probably poke out soon out there.

Everybody else gets planted around memorial day. It's a big task.

For some reason I can’t post a pic but finished with just over 3 gallons of syrup from about 125 gallons of sap. Kids loved it this morning.

For some reason I can’t post a pic but finished with just over 3 gallons of syrup from about 125 gallons of sap. Kids loved it this morning.

Curious what setup did you use to boil it down?
    And 3 gallons of syrup is still a half gallon short of what my family goes through in a year . But we use it on all sorts of stuff. Regular processed sugar almost never gets used.

Here in northern VT sugar season is getting off to a really slow start this year. Actual gardening is going to be 3+ feet under the snow in many areas after today's storm.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

We used this stove this year along with 5 gal pots but kicking around ideas on how to modify a 50gal drum to use with some deep steaming/ warming pans and use wood as the heat source.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/camp...3.uts?slotId=6

Foot of snow just fell on my garden last night.

125 gallons to 3 gallon syrup
    Damn
    . . .

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    rhubarbs up as well as little hop penise's

prob try n get taters and brocs in this week
    and start some seeds
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Sugar shack is still going strong. My buddy has over 90 barrels thus far. Weather should have several runs yet to come

Name:  IMG_2153001.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  172.3 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Haha.

Time for me to get everything started. Looks like we may be just about done with nights in the 20's any time now. Hoping for better productivity than I got last year.

Started 50 plants about 10 days ago for round one, doing round 2 in a week or so when everything is germinated. Instead of cleaning up the shitty backyard we're going to till the half we haven't touched and double the size of the garden. SLC peeps, I plant everything in duplicate in case it doesn't germinate and typically end up with lots of plants to give away. I'll put a list of stuff on here in a month or so if anyone is interested. Mostly heirloom tomatoes/peppers and the occasional weird French squash my grandma sends. And this year I'm growing gherkins and pearl onions to go with the raclette!

Name:	IMG_20190325_215309.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	276162

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^^ nice ill definitely hit ya up lemme know if ya want some seeds
    hop rhizomes or black/ raspberry starts or herbs
    my godchild hooked us up with a grip of seeds when she was in horticulture school
    now shes running floridas state medical weeds stuffs
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Rhubarb, garlic, some greens and herbs are up!
    Onions in the ground, starters have made one step-up and are looking good.
    Cisterns are ready, started prepping irrigation, soil is ready..

Main seeding won't be for another month yet, but we're getting closer!

Excited!

Hate the gym? Grow a garden instead.
    Even small amounts of light physical activity help reduce your mortality risk.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Do tulips that have buds, but not yet bloomed, still bloom if dug up and transplanted? Or failing that will they at least still grow a new bulb for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Do tulips that have buds, but not yet bloomed, still bloom if dug up and transplanted? Or failing that will they at least still grow a new bulb for next year?
    How to Transplant Sprouted Flower Bulbs

Thanks KQ, does't sound like it works that well without getting a ton of root. Might just opt to skip Spring one more time.

Anyone have good options for these things? I've been browsing for some light weight cheaper options but haven't seen much better than this.
    https://www.midlandhardware.com/302664.html

Garden 2019

We’ve started using “spiral spikes” instead of cages for tomatoes and peppers. Like these; hunt around, you can get them cheap:

Name:	IMG_0954.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	280928

Gardens were prepped with manure and compost a month ago.

Just in the last couple of days I've put in onions, garlic, shallots and even am trying some peas in the garden whose fence wasn't trashed by the snow this year

Basil and tomatoes will have to wait a few more weeks until the lows stay above 40. That will give me time to fox the fences.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<