Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Garden 2019

^^^You sure they’re getting enough water? If you have good drainage around them, soak the fuck out of the soil; they’ll be fine. It takes a lot of water to create cukes and melons.

Not totally sure but I water them twice a day a lot of days. They're in containers so the lower layer of soil stays moist all the time.

I pulled the potatoes today because a few were starting to work their way out of the soil. Unfortunately there were only 3 in total but the root ball was super tight so I loosened it up, dumped a bunch of fertilizer in the hole and mixed it up then put the plant back in the ground with one mini potato on it. Maybe that turns into next years crop from that container. It's time to pull a bunch of lettuce, good thing I put more in a few weeks ago so it's ready in 3 or 4 weeks.

3.23 lb Heirloom Tom. Not mine - grown down the road at Frog Hollow Farm

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    3.23 lb Heirloom Tom. Not mine - grown down the road at Frog Hollow Farm

Whoa buddy! That there’s a nice mater

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

3.23 lb Heirloom Tom. Not mine - grown down the road at [URL="https://www.facebook.com/wallawallafarmer/"]Frog Hollow Farm
    Do they run a daycamp?

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Second batch of Plum Prison Wine re-racked today; doing a third batch next weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1418.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	293419

My pumpkins were kicking ass until they weren’t. Took me a few days to figure out I’d been had by squash bugs, by that time it was too late for one of my two plants,

Name:	C4CDEBC8-8F8A-4CDF-8F95-006D7CD9FB51.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	293449

Still got two decent pumpkins off of it and the other plant has a few more. Damn bugs got to my beans, squash, watermelons, and one of my cucumbers. Used the Sevin dust and seemed to have stopped the march of them, but everything they infested has seemed to have paused growing.

Dug out another 4x4 area and timbered it in, just the crappy soil my yard came with for now, next year I plan on bringing in yards of compost. Planted another gang of lettuce, cucumbers and onions. The radishes and peas I planted a few weeks ago are doing quite well.

Name:	6C83109E-18AA-4077-95FE-98556A6708A3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	293450

This is the current haul we a couple time a weeks for tomatoes and weekly for the peaches. MsB andI have been canning furiously and making all kinds of preserves. I came back from the Uintas around 10:30P Sat night to find about 40 lbs of reduced tomato sauce she hadn't been able to can before going to work. I was still up at 1AM boiling jars...

Name:	IMG_20190901_131302dd.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	293481

Beans are still producing. Cucs are out of control as usual and I never managed to pick more than a few small enough to pickle as gherkins. Tomatillos are a couple weeks out and we'll drown in salsa. I ate an amazing green cantaloupe I don't even remember planting, thought it was a honeydew. It's a great year for peppers and we've canned a bunch of ajvarski dips and pickled shishitos:

Name:	IMG_20190901_143324.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	293480

Ms B and I are leaving for France for a couple weeks and had to beg/bribe/threaten friends to ensure there we would someone picking stuff at least every other day as opposed to letting it rot on the plants. Oh no, fresh veggies to pick, life's so hard...

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Taters looking good.

Attachment 287011

Not enough lettuce for a ham sammitch this year.

Attachment 287012
    is that just regular potting soil you have the potatoes in?

ETA: raked in a few lettuce seeds yesterday. Fall growing season rarely works out well here. We tend to go from a day with a high of 90 to frost in about a week, but I give it a go every year, and it works out every now and then.

Here's something to do with all that extra zucchini you probably have. Get your chocolate fix and add some fiber to your diet at the same time:

Zucchini Brownies

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Bob,

Hit them with a little Epsom salt.
    Facepalm.

Damn, Boissal; nice haul!

X2

I’m intrigued by the yellow plums.

Here's something to do with all that extra zucchini you probably have. Get your chocolate fix and add some fiber to your diet at the same time:

Zucchini Brownies

Those things could use some cannabutter.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Those things could use some cannabutter.
    Fuck ya.

I have a neighbors cat using my yard (xeriscape mulch) as a litter box. Fortunately not my garden (yet) but posting here as it’s under a huge tree. Wondering if I can use bleach to neutralize the odor? It’s where I park and don’t want the smells getting in my camper. Don’t want to kill the tree though. I read online a little might actually be good but no quantities given. Also figure the bleach smell might be a deterrent?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I have a neighbors cat using my yard (xeriscape mulch) as a litter box. Fortunately not my garden (yet) but posting here as it’s under a huge tree. Wondering if I can use bleach to neutralize the odor? It’s where I park and don’t want the smells getting in my camper. Don’t want to kill the tree though. I read online a little might actually be good but no quantities given. Also figure the bleach smell might be a deterrent?
    I use this in my horse stalls. It's mainly for ammonia but it might work. If you have a feed store close by check there for availability.

Official site - Sweet PDZ

Alternative Uses for Sweet PDZ
    Good news for all pet owners! Sweet PDZ works great for you as well. Sweet PDZ eliminates odors in cat boxes, small animal habitats, dog runs and just about any livestock enclosure you can imagine. Through the years nearly every zoo animal has had their environments treated and kept healthy with Sweet PDZ. We like to say that ammonia is ammonia no matter which pet/animal species is responsible for producing it.

Sweet PDZ can be used effectively as an amendment and soil conditioner to compost and gardens. Additionally, Sweet PDZ is useful around the house or garage to absorb oil and miscellaneous chemicals, as well as keep trash containers odor free. It also works fantastic on ice and snow as a traction aid. Contact us to learn more about our products and how to put them to use around your home.

Manna Pro Sweet PDZ Horse Stall Refresher Granular

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Thanks KQ it gets good reviews, we have horse stuff around town.

Nice macros Ripz. Love dragonflies. I have some daisies going might try some other varieties soon.

Plum tree #2 did not disappoint.

Name:	IMG_1435.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	294133

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Plum tree #2 did not disappoint.

Name:	IMG_1435.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	294133

Roasted Plums with Dried Cherries and Almonds
    SERVES 4 TO 6

Roasted fruit can easily become colorless and mushy or burned and crunchy without a correct method. By starting our fruit over direct heat we were able to evaporate some of the juices released by the fruit that would otherwise get in the way of proper caramelization. Finishing the fruit in the oven allows the ambient heat to cook through the fruit while the fruit continues to darken in color.

INGREDIENTS

2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
    4 ripe but firm plums (4 to 6 ounces each), halved and pitted
    1 ¼ cups dry white wine
    ½ cup dried cherries
    ⅓ cup (2 1/3 ounces) sugar
    ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ⅛ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    ⅓ cup sliced almonds, toasted

INSTRUCTIONS

This recipe works equally well with red or black plums. The fruit can be served as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Melt 1½ tablespoons butter in ovensafe 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Place plum halves, cut side down, in skillet. Cook, without moving them, until plums are just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.

2. Transfer skillet to oven and roast plums for 5 minutes. Using tongs, flip plums and continue to roast until fork easily pierces fruit, about 5 minutes longer (skillet handle will be hot).

3. Using tongs, transfer plums to platter. Return skillet to medium-high heat and add wine, cherries, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Bring to vigorous simmer, whisking to scrape up any browned bits. Cook until sauce is reduced and has consistency of maple syrup, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice.

4. Pour sauce over plums, sprinkle with almonds, and serve.

a few shots from this spring and summer in the neighborhood ...

Beautiful shots all!
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Thanks KQ it gets good reviews, we have horse stuff around town.

Nice macros Ripz. Love dragonflies. I have some daisies going might try some other varieties soon.
    I'll admit it - I put him him there myself. He was motionless in the street as I walked home. Put him in a few shots then in a plate with some sugar water, hoping to revive him. The cat ate him.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk