Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Garden 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    And so based on that are the bulbs ready to dig, or do you go by the “lowest of 6 leaves turning brown” method I read about online?
    I go by the leaves. My ignorant understanding is that the bulbs are still growing/curing until the leaves tell me they're done (and not all varieties will shoot scapes). fwiw garlic is a pretty reliable bumper crop here, and I'm usually able to cure and preserve all year.

Name:  IMG_3256.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  57.5 KB

I procrastinated the scapes last year too - dried them and made a nice decoration:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	544.9 KB 
ID:	288954

garlic scape pesto

fookin off the scale tastey

Trim them be4 they straighten out, lay out in sun for week or so to dry, trim and peel wrapper, put in blender with EVOO, lemon juice and basil.
    watch out for snakes

Lol I thought that cartridge was a beer can at first till I zoomed.

So my garden was going very well and all of a sudden things started to either die, finish producing or go to seed. It wasn't simultaneous across the garden but as plants would start to produce they'd stop after a few tomatoes, beans or peppers. The lettuce is doing great, the Swiss chard is too. The strawberry plant flowers and then the fruit becomes a tiny hard yellow nugget in a day or two. The corn husks all popped open a day or two ago and the ears dried right up. Cucumbers are sort of doing well, they are producing and ripening nicely but the next round is stunted and not getting bigger.

Am I supposed to be changing or upping the fertilizer as things are "popping"? I'm watering more as we dried out a lot over the last month, mostly in the morning but sometimes when it's hot like this it dries out and needs a second round. Too much water? I have a feeling a lot of it is due to the store bought plants we started with. The things I started from seed are weak, other than the lettuce that's banging away, but moving along. Learning lots to apply to next year.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So my garden was going very well and all of a sudden things started to either die, finish producing or go to seed. It wasn't simultaneous across the garden but as plants would start to produce they'd stop after a few tomatoes, beans or peppers. The lettuce is doing great, the Swiss chard is too. The strawberry plant flowers and then the fruit becomes a tiny hard yellow nugget in a day or two. The corn husks all popped open a day or two ago and the ears dried right up. Cucumbers are sort of doing well, they are producing and ripening nicely but the next round is stunted and not getting bigger.

Am I supposed to be changing or upping the fertilizer as things are "popping"? I'm watering more as we dried out a lot over the last month, mostly in the morning but sometimes when it's hot like this it dries out and needs a second round. Too much water? I have a feeling a lot of it is due to the store bought plants we started with. The things I started from seed are weak, other than the lettuce that's banging away, but moving along. Learning lots to apply to next year.
    Macro-nutrient deficits shouldn’t cause such widespread or sudden issues, and producing symptoms in the foliage that can be traced back to the deficiency. Any idea what your pH is? Did you prep the soil any differently this year. Add anything like someone else’s compost or other soil additive? If you pull up a problem plant or two, what are the roots doing? Or perhaps are you putting weed and feed or other such additive on the lawn, then putting the lawn clippings in the compost?

ugh I found a dead mouse in my compost pile
    do you guys think I need to get rid of the whole bin? it's just a large trash bin sized one so it's not the end of the world, but trying to think thru the best/ easiest solution...
    skid luxury

Name:	20190719_185700.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	289406

Pickling cukes have been strong lately....almost a dozen or so a day now

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post

Name:	20190719_185700.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	289406

Pickling cukes have been strong lately....almost a dozen or so a day now
    Any pickling brine recipes or tips? Did you put fennel in?

The dahlias are starting to bloom, must be August:

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    do you guys think I need to get rid of the whole bin? it's just a large trash bin sized one so it's not the end of the world, but trying to think thru the best/ easiest solution...
    Nah, it'll be fine, but why was it there? Poisoned? cat? raptor?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Macro-nutrient deficits shouldn’t cause such widespread or sudden issues, and producing symptoms in the foliage that can be traced back to the deficiency. Any idea what your pH is? Did you prep the soil any differently this year. Add anything like someone else’s compost or other soil additive? If you pull up a problem plant or two, what are the roots doing? Or perhaps are you putting weed and feed or other such additive on the lawn, then putting the lawn clippings in the compost?
    All new soil this year from Agway, some organic and some not certified organic but pretty good mix. I'm not thrilled with either of them though, in particular the organic one. It looks like the farm that made them used a lot of fruits and veggies in their compost and there's the little plastic stickers and packaging bits in it The problem plants are actually the ones in planter boxes and containers which were also cleaned before the new soil was put in. I used a mix of different organic fertlizers appropriate to the plants to be grown mixed into the soils at the start and then add a spoonful or two every few weeks. I need to check the pH again. I heard that maybe a magnesium deficiency would be causing the cukes to yellow and wither, drop the immature ones and appear to have gone dormant.

I'm somewhat more inclined to think it's due to marginal quality store bought plants to get things started this year. They started out strong enough but didn't last. Next year everything will be started from seed over the winter indoors. I've talked to a couple of local farmers and will be getting seeds from them.

Yesterday the damn moles started chowing on my tomatoes and actually knocked a whole branch off one of the plants dumping ~20 unripe ones on the ground and that drew every mole and squirrel in the neighborhood for a feast They've been decimating my lettuce too. Mole poison incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Minion View Post
    Nah, it'll be fine, but why was it there? Poisoned? cat? raptor?
    not sure how it got there. I went to water the pile and it was sitting there on top. it's a closed bin and there's a top so would not have been dropped by any of the raptors around
    I don't use poisons and my terrier kills mice, but this was outside his gated zone.
    It's almost like it went there to die
    It reminded me of the mice and Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock
    skid luxury

these carnation poppies started growing in a container that had something else last year, I never planted them but they were pretty common here not long ago.

Name:	IMG_7238.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	289532

Name:	IMG_7194.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	289533

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    nah all good - my compost welcomes all manner of organics.
    If you're worried mickey was a victim of poison, just pull him out. I wouldn't worry about 'contamination' in the rest of the heap.

First tomatoes of the season.
    Damn! Tastes like summer.

Name:	IMG_1236.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	289788
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Name:	9eOPd3v.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	852.6 KB 
ID:	289817
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    First tomatoes of the season.
    Damn! Tastes like summer.

Name:	IMG_1236.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	289788
    Oh, man... those 'maters make SUCH good caprese. I presume you whip up a batch of bruschetta with them occasionally as well? Mmmm... dammit. Now I'm hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    these carnation poppies started growing in a container that had something else last year, I never planted them but they were pretty common here not long ago.

Name:	IMG_7238.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	289532

Name:	IMG_7194.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	289533
    Can you make opium out of those? Asking for a friend...

I’ve got supports on the branches of my plum trees, but this one broke off anyway. Bumper crop this year; makes up for the two lonely peaches on my peach tree.

Name:	IMG_1269.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	289993

jesus christ thats an impressive haul of plums, and it's just one branch. what do you make with them?

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    jesus christ thats an impressive haul of plums, and it's just one branch. what do you make with them?
    My first thought as well. Lots of jam and wine?

Yeah, one hell of a crop this year; this is about 10% of one tree. I have no idea what we’re gonna do with them, we’ve never had this many. Lol

Last year we pitted them, then mashed them into ice cube trays; once frozen, the cubes went into ziplocks. We’d put a couple cubes into smoothies every morning, along with a cube of mashed strawberries and a cube of mashed beets.

Hmm... wine actually sounds like a great idea. My wife and a friend of hers have been doing rhubarb wine; time to branch out.

frozen cubes for smoothies sounds good too. good way to preserve and keep more nutrition than canning. but hell yeah, make some plum wine.

I'd get really fat making pies and frangipane tarts and plum cake every day.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    I'd get really fat making pies and frangipane tarts and plum cake every day.
    Exactly what we’re trying to avoid. Lol