Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Garden 2019

20 minutes in our strawberry patch, then we got bored.

Gonna be a banner year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1119.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	286558

Anyone have any good organic pest control formulas for the PNW?

My strawberries keep getting eaten and the leaves on my green beans are shredded all the time.

Some slug activity but also insects.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

First time in 23 years of living here we have a varmint problem. For the last month and a half someone’s Easter present gone awry has been hopping around my cul de sac. He’s a good looking bunny and any other year I’d be amused by his travels.

Attachment 286221

Three times I’ve come out on my deck to find him in my back yard. Last week I came home to find half my broccoli eaten. My 7yo son and 17yo daughter aren’t keen on me popping a pellet cap in his ass. (The 21yo son is all for it.) Sunday I was sitting on my deck when the dog gave her oh shit trouble bark and sprinted off the deck, I look up to see her hot on the heels of a very fast bunny. I’m hoping that scare overpowers the tasty treat that is broccoli.
    fear of the dog isn't enough.
    liquidate the rabbit. or lose crops.
    your choice.

sorry kids.

I get +/- 1lb of meat from each trespassing rabbit, albeit they're little cottontails.
    delicious rabbit stew.
    complete with the veggies they *didn't get a chance to eat.

Name:  IMG_1115.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  46.3 KB

Slow start in my neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    My strawberries keep getting eaten and the leaves on my green beans are shredded all the time.

Some slug activity but also insects.
    I've got just a few strawberry plants and finally had some ripe looking fruit a couple weeks ago. My wife told me I should pick them then, but I thought they still needed a couple days. Of course when I went back out slugs had eaten nice holes in all the ripe berries!

Slug deterrents include copper wire loops or borders, they hate crossing it. Get it from the electrical section of Deep Homo.

The hottest chili powder you can find, available in bulk at Asian grocery stores.

Then, also, as our resident Australian suggested, beer traps. I may have to go buy some shitty beer, can't bring myself to use the good stuff. Someone gave up a bottle of Cooks headache in a bottle, so I may try that on the sn00tier slugs.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I may have to go buy some shitty beer, can't bring myself to use the good stuff..
    You'll catch a bunch of slugs with thick mustaches and tiny anchor tattoos with the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You'll catch a bunch of slugs with thick mustaches and tiny anchor tattoos with the good stuff.
    What about the Cooks sparkling headache?

maybe the local milf? not sure.

These balloon guys that give hot air balloon rides from Woodinville to random spots around Redmond got disbarred from landing in the county parks, so now they land on random private property. Since my in laws were accommodating for a while, they continued to land on their 40+ acres.

But then one day, the balloonists left some gates open and cows got out, so the in laws became less than welcoming. The balloonists tried to bribe my in laws with magnums of Cooks champagne. After that, they're not welcome anymore once I told my in laws that it absolute shitswill. Now I ended up with the stuff. I have to figure out what to do with it.

Cooks is not even good in mimosas! Only cheap bubbly I’ll touch is André.

Slug controls-> Sluggo is organic certified. Crushed hazelnut shells also works well on slugs.

Diatomaceous earth is organic certified and works great on insects but kills them all-> both target and non-targets.

Name:	26782C6F-7D04-4C9F-8E8A-12AD87EAA441.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	286995

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Diatomaceous earth is organic certified and works great on insects but kills them all-> both target and non-targets.
    Only non-chemical way I've found to get the ants under control. I have an invasion of the fuckers, they live in a buried stump I didn't even know was there. I tried excavating the whole thing but it's not a battle I can win. Gave up and dropped the white stuff all over the area once they started taking down my arugula...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Only non-chemical way I've found to get the ants under control. I have an invasion of the fuckers, they live in a buried stump I didn't even know was there. I tried excavating the whole thing but it's not a battle I can win. Gave up and dropped the white stuff all over the area once they started taking down my arugula...
    Borax is also organic certified and works very well on ants when mixed 1:1 with sugar-> they take it back to the nest, share it and feed it to all the larva.

These balloon guys that give hot air balloon rides from Woodinville to random spots around Redmond got disbarred from landing in the county parks, so now they land on random private property. Since my in laws were accommodating for a while, they continued to land on their 40+ acres.

But then one day, the balloonists left some gates open and cows got out, so the in laws became less than welcoming. The balloonists tried to bribe my in laws with magnums of Cooks champagne. After that, they're not welcome anymore once I told my in laws that it absolute shitswill. Now I ended up with the stuff. I have to figure out what to do with it.
    Typical balloonists, amiright? Getting drunk on cheap champagne and letting all the cows out. And probably knocking chimneys over before that.

Cooks champagne is like fruitcake, you give it to someone to show you really don't care.

Rabbit tastes good.

bro
    you're a rabid anti-balloonite!

Typical balloonists, amiright? Getting drunk on cheap champagne and letting all the cows out. And probably knocking chimneys over before that.
    Cooks champagne is like fruitcake, you give it to someone to show you really don't care.
    skid luxury

where's my hasenpfeffer?

back to gardens. my veggies are still quite minuscule since we just started getting consistent summer weather but I planted this little shade perennial garden by the entry walkway last summer and it went off this spring
    almost feel like I planted things too close but have divided a couple plants already for my neighbor so that helps

Name:	IMG_8713.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	286998

ps going to try some of the ant recs here too bc as you can see from the picture they have invaded this zone
    skid luxury

^nice! keep in mind that diatomaceous earth kills bees...

yes will probably avoid that bc I love our bees ....
    and dem bee butts https://www.boredpanda.com/cute-bumb...mpaign=organic
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    where's my hasenpfeffer?
    Alpenhof? If it's still there.

back to gardens.
    back to ballooning

Name:  arizona%u00252Bhot%u00252Bair%u00252Bballoons%u00252B5.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  124.4 KB

"Tradition says that the pilot/aeronaut is to present the landowner on whose property you make your final landing with a ceremonial bottle of champagne - a tradition stemming back to the first balloonists in France. "

I doubt the french would stand for a gift of Cooks.

"Tradition says that the pilot/aeronaut is to present the landowner on whose property you make your final landing with a ceremonial bottle of champagne - a tradition stemming back to the first balloonists in France. "

I doubt the french would stand for a gift of Cooks.
    thanks for the new factoid of the day

and yes if the french would even look at it, they wd pronounce it "koowks"
    which makes sense
    skid luxury

Alpenhof? If it's still there.
    it is. it's actually back to being the place to go for us bc all the other spots are too busy/ over-popular
    plus they have good pocket cheeses
    skid luxury

thanks for the new factoid of the day

and yes if the french would even look at it, they wd pronounce it "koowks"
    which makes sense
    even benny would reject that shit